6. Back To Hogwarts

☆————————————☆

————————————

THE TRAIN RIDE TO HOGWARTS was just like it had been every year; loud. Victoria usually sat with Draco and her fellow Slytherin's in their compartment but seeing as she hadn't spoken to the youngest Malfoy since the night she left, things had changed. Harry had asked her if she wanted to sit with them but declined because she didn't want to crowd their space. Even after Hermione told her this was a load of codswallop and that they wouldn't mind; she still declined their offer. She instead sat alone in a compartment, watching the Scottish scenery go by as the train went on.

Her thoughts had been racing ever since she'd left Grimmauld Place. She'd been struggling to process what her mother had said. Victoria wanted to scream out of pure frustration, and also curl up and cry. Most of the letter was just apologising for well...dying, and there were other bits that she thought were either irrelevant or insinuating something else. It was like her mother left out something important that would be able to help in some way.

All these questions burned her brain and she soon became too tired to even realise they'd arrived at Hogsmead station.

Victoria grabbed her bag and headed out of the compartment. She spotted Draco, along with Crabbe and Goyle; two of whom she did not like very much, and waited for them to exit the train.

She idly walked behind them, staring at the ground but Draco's loud voice caught her attention.

"I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you walk free."

Harry, Ron and Hermione were exiting the train as Draco was approaching them. Victoria slowed down and watched carefully.

"Better enjoy it while you can. I bet there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it." Draco continued.

Harry lunged himself at the blonde but Ron quickly grabbed his arms and held him back. Hermione watched with shock and Draco and his idiot friends flinched at Harry's sudden outburst.

"What'd I tell you? Complete nutter." Draco said to Crabbe and Goyle angrily as he walked away. Victoria sped up and hastily walked passed the trio, hoping they wouldn't notice her.

She didn't know why she wanted to avoid them right now...maybe it was because she still didn't feel up to talking much after this morning but she certainly felt bad for not sticking up for Harry.

"Just stay away from me!" Harry yelled after Draco, making Victoria flinch but she just kept walking.

Unfortunately, when she arrived at the entrance, all the other carriages had gone. The only one left was the same one Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville had to get on.

It was already occupied by a blonde girl, who to Victoria seemed quite content being alone. The brunette hopped onto the carriage, just before her friends and Neville did and the awkward silence made Victoria cringe.

"Everyone, this is Loony Love–" Hermione began but cut herself off quickly. "Luna Lovegood."

Victoria smiled at Luna who returned the smile. "I like your necklace." The brunette said, trying to relieve some of the awkward tension.

Only then, did Harry seem to realise Victoria was sitting amongst them.

"It's a charm, actually. Keeps away the Nargles." Luna replied. Hermione sent Victoria a confused look but she simply shrugged.

"Hungry, I hope there's pudding." Luna mumbled as Ron asked "What's a Nargle?"

"No idea." Hermione replied.

The rest of the way was just as awkward as it was when they hopped on. Harry kept watching Victoria, curious and confused as to why they hadn't spoken much since earlier this morning. He knew she was upset about something and wanted desperately for her to tell him but he simply let it go and focused his gaze on his lap.

Victoria was glad when she could finally break free from them all and sat down at the Slytherin table. Draco watched as she sat towards the end of the table, alone.

He was still angry with himself that his mother and father hadn't told Victoria about her real family. He'd lost the girl he considered a sister and hated that they hadn't spoken since. He knew she needed time however, and respected that. Victoria met his eyes and smiled. She saw the spot where she used to sit was vacant and sighed. As much as she wanted to sit with him, she was still hurt that he'd kept the secret as well. It was silly to be thinking like this, Victoria knew that, but Draco was the one person she trusted the most and she felt betrayed.

Professor Dumbledore approached his podium and began with the usual start of term announcements. "Good evening, children. Now we have two changes in staffing this year. Professor Grubbly-Plank will be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave." He said.

There was a small amount of murmuring from students but it wasn't until the Headmaster's next announcement, that everyone sitting in the room went silent.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher...Professor Dolores Umbridge. I'm sure you'll all join me inn wishing her good luck."

Victoria spotted a short, plump woman who was dressed in all pink at the end of the table. She didn't seem like the type to teach DADA, the brunette thought, but brushed it off knowing that this year might be different with a new teacher.

The woman began walking towards Dumbledore and he stared at her.

"Thank you, Headmaster...for those kind words of welcome." Umbridge said.

No one ever interrupted Dumbledore during announcements, let alone take over.

"How lovely it is to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends."

Nobody was smiling at her.

She didn't take any notice of this though and continued. "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this school; progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged."

Victoria frowned at this. In the four years she'd attended Hogwarts, it always seemed that Dumbledore knew what he was doing.

"Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." Umbridge finished with a tight smile and everyone remained silent.

Victoria's gaze travelled to the Gryffindor table where her friends sat. Harry was staring right at her and she smiled awkwardly. She quickly turned her attention back up to the Professor, feeling her cheeks heat up slightly.

Harry's eyes lingered on the brunette for a few more moments. He was confused as to why she was sitting alone. He knew about her dilemma with the Malfoy's, but not much, as he'd been busy with his own problems lately. He knew for a fact however, that Victoria always sat with Draco and he figured it must've hurt the girl deeply if she was now sitting by herself.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge, that was most illuminating." Dumbledore finally said as Professor Umbridge walked back to her seat. He clapped and only a handful of students clapped along with him.

After dinner was finished, Victoria made her way down to the Slytherin common room. She quickly retreated to the girls' dormitory, ignoring the glances from her fellow housemates. All she wanted to do was sleep and forget most of today even happened.

Gemini was sleeping in her cage and Victoria smiled, knowing that at least one of them was able to have a peaceful sleep. The brunette changed out of her robes and into her pyjamas then shut the curtains on her bedpost and let sleep take over.

☆————————————☆