24. Potion's Class

☆————————————☆

☆————————————☆

VICTORIA MADE HER WAY WITH HERMIONE THE NEXT DAY TO POTIONS CLASS.

"I wonder what Professor Slughorn's class will be like?" Hermione asked and Victoria shrugged.

"He seems like a bit of a tosser but he could be a great teacher for all I know."

As the class went on, Victoria tuned out for most of it unless she answered a question. It wasn't until two idiot boys that came in late caught her full attention.

"Harry, my boy, I've been beginning to worry. You brought someone with us, I see." Slughorn said and everyone turned their attention to the boys.

"Ron Weasley, sir."

Hermione and Victoria shared a look and rolled their eyes.

"But I'm dead awful at Potions. A menace actually, so I'm probably just gonna–"

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out." Slughorn said, interrupting Ron. "Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out."

"I'm sorry sir, I haven't actually got my book yet and nor has Ron..." Harry said.

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard." Slughorn said and then turned back to his table.

"Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning..." The Professor continued but Victoria only half listened, being too amused by Harry and Ron fighting over their books by the cupboard. She shook her head at them and focused back to what the Professor was saying.

"Any ideas what these might be?" Slughorn asked.

Hermione's hand shot up. "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum." she said.

"And this one?" Slughorn asked and Victoria raised her hand.

"Yes, Miss Gibson." He said.

Victoria walked forward and stared at it. "This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumoured to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." she explained. "For example, I smell broom polish, cologne and..." Victoria trailed off and awkwardly walked back to her spot, ignoring Hermione's smug expression.

"Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in the room." Slughorn said, placing the lid on the potion. A bunch of the girls including Lavender Brown and Pansy all stepped away from it.

Clearly, Victoria wasn't the only one feeling the effects of it.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one?" Katie Bell said.

"Oh yes. What you see before you ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion, known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as–"

"Liquid Luck." Hermione said and Slughorn smiled.

"Well done, Miss Granger. Liquid Luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you'll find that all of your endeavours succeed. At least until the effects wear off."

Victoria noticed Draco eyeing the bottle and watched him carefully. What would he be so interested in using Liquid Luck for, she wondered.

"So this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of Liquid Luck to the student who in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death. Recipes for which can be found on page ten of your books." Slughorn explained and everyone quickly opened their books.

"Issue one doubt, however. Only one student managed to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

Everyone went to their stations and began their brewing. Victoria sat next to Hermione, who was already looking very frazzled. Victoria cursed to herself every now and then when she couldn't get one of the ingredients right, or if she messed up but figured it wouldn't matter in the end. Harry was clearly doing exceptional and Victoria was confused to say the least.

"How did you do that?" Hermione asked, referring to the Sophorous Bean Harry was placing in his cauldron.

"Crush it, don't cut it." Harry replied.

"No, the instructions specifically say cut." Hermione said frustratedly.

"No, really." The raven haired boy grinned and went back to his potion. Hermione frowned as she scanned her book intently.

Victoria watched as Harry seemed to have no trouble at all making his potion and he smirked at her. She looked away, feeling her cheeks heat up.

By the end of the lesson, everyone was out of sorts, except for Harry who had successfully brewed the Draught of Living Death. Hermione's hair looked like someone gave her an electric shock and Victoria was extremely tired.

The four friends left and made their way to their next classes.

☆————————————☆

Later that night, Victoria couldn't sleep very well. She was too busy thinking about what her Aunt Gracie said about her Banshee powers and more importantly, how Dumbledore warned her parents.

She quietly exited the Slytherin common room and made her way through the dark castle up to Dumbledore's office.

Victoria was glad when she heard a faint 'come in' from the other side.

"Ah, Victoria...shouldn't you be in bed?" He asked.

"I couldn't sleep, I know it's late. Sorry." she replied.

"What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to ask you something about what my Aunt Gracie told me the other day."

Dumbledore motioned for her to proceed and listened intently.

"Well, she told me she's a Banshee too. I asked her mainly advice on how I could control my powers and stuff like that and she said it would take practice but eventually I'd learn how. What's been bothering me though, is that Gracie said the only time she ever had a really bad premonition was the night before my parents died. She told me that she'd had a nightmare and it was of two people being murdered. She said there were flashes of green light, screaming and blood. Then she told me that you came to her house and warned her that my family was in danger. But before you left, she told you what she saw and you warned my parents straight after. That's how I survived." Victoria explained and the Professor remained silent for a while.

"I guess what I'm asking is how? How did you know Gracie is a Banshee?"

"I didn't."

"Then how did you know where she lived?"

"I think it's better if I show you."

☆————————————☆