23. A New Year at Hogwarts

☆————————————☆

☆————————————☆

THE RIDE ON THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS WAS MORE PACKED THAN USUAL. Victoria, Harry, Ron and Hermione were sitting together in their compartment discussing what they saw in Knockturn Alley.

"So what was Draco doing with that weird looking cabinet? And who were all those people? Don't you see? It was a ceremony, an initiation." Harry said, so quick that it took Victoria a moment to process his words.

"Stop it, Harry. I know where you're going with this." Hermione said.

"It happened. He's one of them."

"One of who?" Ron asked.

"Harry thinks Draco is a Death Eater." Victoria interjected.

"You're barking. What would You-Know-Who want with a sod like Malfoy?" Ron asked disbelievingly.

"What was he doing in Borgin and Burkes then? Browsing for furniture?" Harry retorted.

Ron shrugged. "It's a creepy shop, he's a creepy bloke."

"His father is a Death Eater, it only makes sense."

"Harry, I know Draco, and this doesn't seem like something he would do. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying don't jump to conclusions. Lucius may be a Death Eater but Narcissa isn't. Draco could've just gone with her for a meeting or something." Victoria said and Harry looked at her with an annoyed expression.

"You were there though, you saw it." Harry said frustratedly.

"I don't know what I saw." Victoria replied and Harry rolled his eyes.

"I need some air." Harry said and stormed out of their compartment.

"Harry wait–" Victoria called out after him, but he was gone.

"Let him go..." Hermione said and the brunette sat back down.

For the rest of the journey, Victoria stared out the window. Harry hadn't returned and she knew he was upset by her response.

It was true, Victoria didn't know what she saw. She didn't want to believe that Draco had become a Death Eater, she knew deep down if he had - that there was a reason. He wouldn't just do it because of his father. They may not have spoken in a long time, but she still cared for Draco and didn't want to believe that he'd succumbed to his father's ways.

When they arrived at Hogsmead station and Harry hadn't returned, Victoria decided to look for him.

"You guys go on, I'm going to look for Harry." She told Ron and Hermione, who were anxiously waiting for their best friend.

They left and Victoria made her way through all the carriages.

"Oh, hello Victoria." A familiar airy voice said.