8. McGonagall fights back

☆————————————☆

☆————————————☆

VICTORIA HAD A FREE PERIOD before lunch the next day and decided to go to the library and study, as well as read some more information about Banshee's and their powers, to possibly figure out if she had such an ability.

When she walked into the library, she chuckled when she saw a familiar mop of bushy brown hair. Hermione, as always was in here studying. Not that she needed to, she is the smartest witch of their generation.

"Hey Hermione." Victoria greeted and Hermione turned around and smiled.

"Victoria!"

"Studying again I see." She chuckled.

Hermione smiled sheepishly. "What are you here for?"

"Er...I was mainly coming to study as well but there's something I wanted to research first."

"What?"

"Well," The brunette hesitated, unsure if she should mention this yet. "Before I left Malfoy Manor, Lucius mentioned something to do with this thing that has something to do with–" Victoria paused, the look on Hermione's face was enough to tell her that she wasn't making any sense at all.

The girl sighed. "Lucius believes that I am somehow involved with a prophecy that also involves Harry and You-Know-Who. He says it's got to do with some girl born with the cry of a Banshee."

"A Banshee?!" Hermione asked.

Victoria nodded. "He thinks it's me. Only problem is, I've never even experienced something like that. I don't know if I was actually born with this ability or if Malfoy is just pulling my leg. I spoke to Sirius about it and he said that my mother never had that ability. He also said that if I was ever going to find out..."

"What?" Hermione asked quickly.

"He said that someone I know or love would have to die, or be close to death as it might trigger something."

A soft gasp escaped Hermione's lips. "Crazy I know. I tried to tell myself that it was all a joke, and that Lucius was just trying to scare me but it's been nagging at my brain ever since. So I figured I'd try to research Banshee's in case there's a better explanation." Victoria said.

"What do you already know about Banshee's?"

"All I know is that they're also known as 'The Wailing Woman', and I read that they are supposed to have premonitions or something before someone is about to die. Which is why Sirius said that someone I know might have to die before I find out."

"I honestly don't know much so I can't really offer any help."

Victoria shook her head, waving her friend off. "Don't worry about it. There's probably nothing in any books anyway so I'd be wasting my time."

"What are you gonna do if you do have this ability?"

"I don't know..."

"How was detention with Umbridge?" Hermione asked after a moment.

Victoria scoffed. "Horrible. I've never seen Harry look so angry, it was kind of frightening."

The two girls laughed. "You need to report what she did to Dumbledore." Hermione said, looking at the bandage wrapped around Victoria's hand.

The brunette shook her head. "No, it would just make things worse and I'm not going to give Umbridge the satisfaction."

"Harry said the same thing you know," Hermione smirked.

Victoria raised an eyebrow. "He did?"

"Yes. He won't report it either. The both of you are just as stubborn as each other." she said and Victoria shrugged.

"It's torture." the young Gryffindor's expression faltered.

"There's just no point Hermione, no one would listen."

Hermione nodded slowly. "I guess you're right."

For the remainder of the period, the two friends studied together and Victoria was glad she had a friend like Hermione.

☆————————————☆

Hermione had invited Victoria to sit with them at lunch, and wouldn't accept no for an answer– no matter how many times the Slytherin girl declined.

So her, Ron and Hermione were sitting at the Gryffindor table enjoying their lunch. Harry joined them a little while after but a commotion out in the Entrance Hall caught the attention of majority of the students. Harry was first out the door's and Victoria followed closely behind.

"Pardon me, Professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?"

Umbridge and Professor McGonagall were arguing on the steps.

"I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices."

Someone must have caught word of what Umbridge was doing to her students and told Dumbledore, Victoria thought.

"So silly of me, but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom...Minerva." Umbridge moved up a step further, noticing all the students watching.

McGonagall wasn't backing down though, as she too took another step upwards. "Not at all, Dolores," the Professor paused, narrowing her eyes at the lady in pink. "Merely, your medieval methods." she said.

"I am sorry, dear. But to question my practices is to question the Ministry and by extension, the Minister himself. I am a woman of tolerance but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty." Toad lady said and Victoria scoffed quietly.

"Disloyalty." McGonagall looked at Umbridge incredulously.

The woman in pink turned to the students gathered in the Entrance Hall. "Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take action."

In that moment, Victoria knew that things at Hogwarts were about to change drastically and she mentally prepared herself for what was coming.

☆————————————☆