Chester

(Y/N POV )

The moon hung in the centre of the sky, glistening down upon us. The stars twinkled all around, resembling the spherical face of the earth. The only source of light we had to offer were fire torches, guiding our way through. Coyotes cackled in the distance, blinded by our presence.

We camped out for the night, planning on regaining our energy for the morning. Hercules and some others had started a fire made from sticks and twigs, many huddling around it for warmth whereas others set up for sleep. Me, Lafayette and Hercules slept by each other's sides, however Alexander and John resolved to somewhere else. Well, at least they were happy.

I held my hands out to the flames, warning my body from the sheer bitterness of the night. "You must be Charlie, right?" John appeared from behind me, sitting down and admiring the fire.
"That's me." I replied.
"Thank you for getting us out of there. I don't know if we'd have even survived another minute in there." he joked.
I gave him a patient smile. "Don't mention it."

We sat in utter silence for a couple of minutes, absorbing our bodies into the heat. "I'm sorry, it's quite appalling of me. I should've thanked you earlier, I mean--"
"It's fine, sir." I reassured.
"Call me John!" he chuckled, "'Sir' just sounds stupid."
"Yeah... Yeah, it does."
"Then why call me it?"
"I don't know!"

John and I laughed along, growing closer by the second. The way he glanced up at me with such a cute smile was just precious. I couldn't help but feel joy from being around him. We barely even knew each other.

"Miller!" I peered over my shoulder, Alexander staring at me almost pitifully. John turned away, rubbing his hands together in case Alexander was about to get jealous. "May I... speak with you?" This wasn't the Alexander I knew before; it was instead the one I recognised back at home. What if he'd found out my cover? I gulped anxiously, nodding whilst standing up and following him to somewhere private.

"Look, I'm not going to kill you, so stop shaking." I peeked down, realising that my knees were buckled. I stood up straight, my body aching from the amount of fear I was holding in. "I just want to say... thank you."
"You're... You're thanking me...?" I questioned.
"No, I'm thanking Angus over there-- Yes I'm thanking you, as much as I hate to admit it!!"

I bowed my head in respect. "You're welcome." I met his eyes, the fear draining away almost instantly. "Thank you for... accepting me. I, uh, never thought you'd forgive me for what I did."
"Now I didn't say anything about that, did I?" he interrogated me. I shook my head shamefully. "Though... I'll lay low on it for now. Also, just to clarify, this doesn't mean we're friends. Cause part of me still really hate you."
"I get it." I admitted, distracted from loud grumbling coming from behind me. "I'll... see you around, I guess."

"Wait, Miller!" Alexander called.
"Yes?" I responded, tilting my head.
"...Sorry, it's just you... you remind me of someone."
I gulped. "Who might... that be...?"
Alexander studied me intently, shaking his head in dismissal. "No, it doesn't matter." He went his separate way, as I did mine to investigate.

I tread off to investigate, falling upon the young teenager holding a bloodied bandage around his waist. A gentlemen by his side stroked his hair lovingly, singing a quiet lullaby to him.

"Sleep my child and peace attend thee,
All through the night
Guardian angels God will send thee,
All through the night
Soft the drowsy hours are creeping,
Hill and dale in slumber sleeping
I my loved ones' watch am keeping,
All through the night..."

I knelt down by his side, holding back tears of the boy's eyes fluttered lifelessly.

"Angels watching, e'er around thee
All through the night
Midnight slumber close surround thee
All through the night..."

The teen gripped the man's hand, grunting under his breath.

"Soft the drowsy hours are creeping
Hill and vale in slumber sleeping..."

All motion stopped.

"I my loved ones' watch am keeping..."

The man closed the boy's eyes, resting his hand onto his heart peacefully.

"All... through... the night..."

I cupped my hands over my mouth, feeling emptiness consume me. "He was my only son." the man choked, caressing his son's cheek. "He wanted to thank you, as well as all of the others who participated, for granting him his freedom." A single tear slid down his face, drooping from his chin. "He finally got his happy ending."

It reminded me of the moment I watched my grandma pass away: the horror as the heart monitor stopped beating, and it seemed like my world came to an end. I couldn't bear the thought of what this man was going through, losing his child. Pathetic wars... Why must they go on? At such a tender age, boys should not be sent out here to fight. They should be at home, studying for a future career or working for the sake of the family name. Not here, where death was present everywhere you turned.

"I... I..." I stuttered, my eyes whelming up with tears.
He rested a hand shaky hand upon my shoulders. "You've done a good job, lad. For such a young mind, too, you're spectacular. What's your name?"
"C- Charlie Miller, s- sir."
"I'm Noah Reed. I hope to hear your name declared throughout the future; your legacy should live on. You've done your father proud." Noah looked back to his son, skin cold and pale. "He's made me the happiest father alive."

~

The night was no longer warm. The fire blazed out loud, but all I felt with a solemn aura surround me. Lafayette sat next to me, quietly holding his hands together as his eyes were absorbed by the fire. No one spoke a word after hearing about the death; Noah had decided to bury his son. Whilst he was off doing that, we were all in mourning.

"Let tyrants shake their iron rod,
And Slav'ry clank her galling chains," Lafayette started to sing, catching our attention.
"We fear them not, we trust in God,
New England's God forever reigns." Hercules joined in with him.

"Laf and Mulligan and Miller too," Lafayette joked,
"With Prescot and Hamilton join'd,
Together plot our Overthrow,
In one Infernal league combin'd."

The entire batallion emerged, consumed by the song. Soon enough, everyone was joining in.

"When God inspir'd us for the fight,
Their ranks were broke, their lines were forc'd,
Their ships were Shatter'd in our sight,
Or swiftly driven from our Coast.

The Foe comes on with haughty Stride;
Our troops advance with martial noise,
Their Vet'rans flee before our Youth,
And Gen'rals yield to beardless Boys.

What grateful Off'ring shall we bring?
What shall we render to the Lord?
Loud Halleluiahs let us Sing,
And praise his name on ev'ry Chord."

~~~~~~~~~~

Wow that was depressing to write