Proposal

(Y/N POV)

A beautiful day. Not a murmur, nor a whisper. Washington ordered for all soldiers not to approach me, unless within good reason. This took a bit of force from Alexander but he established it. And oh my had I not had such a peaceful day since July.

I chose a chair on the front porch of the house which outlooked the streets. A bouquet of dead flowers were stranded in a pot on a lone table, its water now murky and sage. Evidently it hadn't been tended to for a long while. Pity. Beautiful flowers on a beautiful day would only increase the small fragment of beauty that the world had to share. The fragment that humans chose to ignore.

"A letter for you, Miss!" Cornelius crossed through the gate with a sack piled with letters.
"Helping out in the community! Very nice!" I exclaimed in surprise.
"Yes, well..." -He handed me the letter from the stairs- "I'm sure Mr Hamilton would not want to see me here under any other circumstances."
"Oh don't mind him, he's full up of himself."

Just as I'd hoped, a letter from Charles. The address read as it did day after day. "Thank you." I turned my back to him, scraping at the edges of the envelope.
"Miss!" he disturbed.
I peered over my shoulder. "Yes?" 
Cornelius set his eyes to the ground. Melancholically. "Please. Don't lose sight of what is most important. Your contentment is what you should idolize, not your honour."

He spun around with the sack to leave. Whilst he walked down the street, his face contorted several emotions. Alas, they were all individually struck with negativity. I'd learnt that he was a man of secrets; there'd by no use trying to disturb him. Therefore, I sat down in the chair once again and tore the envelope.

Dearest Y/N,

Will it satisfy you to know that I am convalescing? It is a monotonous reminder for my words to penetrate deep into your mind. I am without woe, Dear, only that of my yearning heart for you. You must be surfeited with it by this moment. I call any gentleman a coward if he trusts that it is defensible to find himself a mistress in the departure of his lover. You have won me, and no mistress will ever please.

I read over the works of the Bard of Avon and wonder how two lovers can fall so affectionate to one another. Affection leading to their inevitable deaths, I am sure you are aware. Romeo's cry, "Here’s to my love!" as he consumes the fatal poison. "Thus with a kiss I die." Romeo finishes. Tragedy from the fate of a feuding family. Juliet awakens, her lover deceased. "There rust, and let me die." Juliet finalizes, collapsing upon Romeo's corpse at the hand of the dagger.

A tale of two lovers brought to a wretched end. The man is only so great because he tells a truth that not a soul will admit. No pair of lovers have made themselves untroubled. In this patriarchal world that we live in, men take their dominance over women and defraud their fortune. An irksome confession it is to make, women are forseen as sexual partners. They are treated alike animals. I would do everything to spare you from that life.