Exposition

°~24 Hours Earlier

(Alexander POV)

This was all I'd ever wanted: to be here, on this battlefield, fighting for the Continentals. I enjoyed writing, of course; it just all became a little overwhelming. I had no free time to practice my skill, and was stuck in a constant cycle of letter after letter.

But here I was, finally receiving the recognition I deserved. Even if I wasn't up front, I was fighting.

Redcoats swarmed, but we corrupted them with our tactics. One after the other, they were swatted out of the air by our gunshots, landing into each other's blood. If these men were to ever care for their families, then they would've made the right choice by disobeying their King.

They were cowards.

I was manipulated by power: shoot, reload, shoot, reload. With friends to back me up, nothing was bringing me down.

That is, until, the unexpected hit me.

"ALEX, WATCH OUT!!"

Miller shielded me, taking a shot to the chest. My eyes widened in awe, as I scouted out for the man responsible. I didn't, I couldn't care for Miller...  So... Why did he do this?

My thoughts were interrupted by the horrified scream of John. "SOPHIE!!"

S- Sophie...?

Before I could react, Miller collapsed into John's arms. I tried to catch John's gaze, but he was too focused on Miller. Attracted by the commotion, Washington bolted down, crouching to receive the boy from John's shaking hands. "HAVE LAFAYETTE TAKE THE LEAD!!" Washington ordered for me to pass on, sprinting off hurriedly back to the trench.
"...Yes, sir..."

~

°~Present~°

(Y/N POV)

My eyes fluttered open, as I lay uncomfortable on the bed. My chest ached, screaming in agony. I clearly remembered the way the bullet striked me, the way my body gave in... But nothing more...

Looking around, I was in a reasonably large tent, my bed surrounded by a thin material. I tilted my head to my right, Washington sitting on the edge of the bed unexpectedly. "S- Sir... Sir..." I tried sitting up, my head beginning to spin from the sudden movement.
"Sshh, it's alright." Washington softly rested a hand on the back of my head, laying me back down.

"Here, take this." He removed his jacket, slipping it around my shoulders. Peering down at myself, I noticed binding wrapped completely around my torso, blood stained in one specific area. Embarrassed, I hid the jacket further around my bare body.

"Sir, I..."
"I know." he comforted. "It's nothing to worry about, Sophie. You're going to be fine, okay? Trust me."
I sank into the covers, ashamed of myself. Though Washington tried to make me feel better about the situation, I just couldn't help it.

I'd failed.

"Be at rest; your health is of the utmost importance." Washington advised, standing up.
"Sir!" I exclaimed, clutching my chest in pain as I faced him. "I'm... I'm so sorry..."
He nodded. "You don't have to apologise. You were willing to die for us, and that's far braver than any of these soldiers." Washington left, leaving me in silence.

But within a matter of seconds, shouts erupted.

"Where is she?! WHERE IS SHE?!!"

Alexander tripped his way through the curtain, staring longingly at me. "A- Alexander, I--"
Cutting me off, he lunged himself over to me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. Despite the discomfort, I unhurriedly relaxed my arms around his shoulders in response.

"Don't you ever try to save my life again, y'hear me?!" he cried, his grasp tightening.
"Heh, I hear you."
He took a moment to lift himself up, gazing into my eyes tenderly for the first time in months. "All this time and I never figured it out." he joked.
"Maybe you're not as smart as you seem." I teased.
"And you're smarter than you appear."

He hugged me once more, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Y/N, you... you could've been killed..."
"What would it matter?" I questioned, "I'm not supposed to exist here anyway."
"Don't say things like that. Think about Emily, she needs you!" he urged. He covered his face with his hands, taking this all in. "To think that all of the letters I sent were going to the boy right before me..."

He faced back to me cautiously. "Was she in on this?"
I nodded solemnly; Alexander threw his head back and sighed. "Such a fool I am. I was on the verge of challenging you to... a duel..."
"Good thing I got myself shot before you could." I stated bluntly.

"A- And John, how did he know?!" he suddenly squealed.
"That one's a... uh... a long story." I stammered. "I'll tell you later."

"SOPHIE!!" Speaking of the devil, John came jolting in at full speed, stopping before he knocked Alexander over. "Sorry... uh... Hey, Alex..." he murmured awkwardly, giving a little wave. "This was... probably a bad time, so I'll just go-"
"No. No. It's fine." Alexander tapped John's shoulder reassuringly as he moped out of our way.

John too took me within his arms, far more forcefully than Alexander had. "John, watch it." I grunted, warning him away as my chest stang.
"Sorry, did I hurt you?!" He backed away, gaining a terrified complexion.
"No, I'm good, don't worry."

He plonked himself down onto the bed, making it jingle slightly. I began to smell a strong scent, knowing exactly what it was. "John, please don't tell me you've been drinking again."
"What? No, of course not! Why would I, of all people drink?"
I raised my eyebrows sarcastically.
"...Okay maybe one, two..."
"More like five."

I laughed as he sulked, giving in. "...I mean, we won the battle..."
"...You're kidding." I said in awe, gaping my mouth open. "We did?"
"Yeah. We also caught that bastard who shot you. Tried getting him drunk, but the miserable fuck won't take any of it."

"Okay first off you didn't need to capture him. And second off, you can't force others to drink because you're drunk yourself, John." I lectured.
"So what? He'll die of... alcohol..."
"And so will you, if you keep this up." I told him.

"I'm just... happy you're okay." John praised. "If you'd have seen the look on his face when he found out you were a woman, y--"
"Wait, he knows?!" I interrupted.
"Uh, everyone knows..."

~~~~~~~~~~

This new Wattpad update has me
s h o o k e t h

Also holy cow, we've reached our high score for the most comments on the last chapter 😂

I need to stop saying thank you, but I can't help myself lol. I appreciate all of your support so much! ^^