Brothers Reunited

°~14 Years Ago, 1766~°

(??? POV)

One year later, and we were like lock and key. Whenever we needed each other the most, we'd always be there. I'd never had a best friend before, or someone so sincere to entitle my brother, but I liked it.

I liked it.

Just yesterday, he'd asked me to meet him at the docks, where we first met. He supposedly had something important to tell me, which I found an honour to have been trusted by him. Nevertheless, taking a book with me, I wandered down the streets towards the distant seas.

People weren't used to seeing a boy read, for not many of us could. But over time, I'd taught myself. I'd hoped that my biological brother would take influence from it, but alas, he hadn't. He didn't care. But I guess I had to acknowledge that.

Horses dragged carts across the tiled roads; men struggled to unload cargo; other children ran about in a game. But I wasn't like them. I could never be like them. Instead, I sat on the edge of the pier, overlooking the shallow waters.

I couldn't understand child's play. My brother and I never once engaged in it, for my mother had never been the happiest of women. We were in poverty, suffering for perhaps the rest of our pitiful days. I had no time for play.

But finally, as I skimmed rapidly through the page I was left on, he arrived. I closed the book, setting it aside as he sat down next to me. He tried to put on a smile, but nothing would emerge. "What's the matter?" I asked.
"I have... bad news." he stated.
"Oh?"

His breath hitched, and he fiddled with a twig in his hands. "Papa is planning on a leave." he sighed.
"A leave? For how long?" I asked, afraid of the answer.
"For... forever, I think..." Snapping the twig into sections, he tossed each one into the water. "He wants to move to England."

My face sunk, such as it had never done so before. "O- Oh..."
"I wanted us to come here again, because it may be the last time we ever speak a- and I want to spend our last memory together here. Where we first met." he explained.
"I... understand...

But what about the war?" I continued, "Won't you fight for the colonies?"
"Obviously I will!" he laughed. "England's lame. And besides, why would I leave you? We're brothers, right?"

Gazing into each other's eyes for perhaps one last time, we spat into our hands in sync, clasping them together in an undying unison. "Brothers."

"Son!" His father was heeding him over from down the street, hauling a humongous sack upon his shoulder. It was a miracle that he was able to carry all of that weight. We parted hands, and I stood up frantically after him.
"I have to leave now." he stated anxiously, not wanting to hold his father up.

"Promise me that we'll forever be brothers, no matter what happens to us." I begged him, not yet ready for his departure.
He hooked his pinky finger around mine strongly. "No matter what."

He trotted back for a final time, grinning at me with the innocence that he always had. "Goodbye..." I finalised.
"Goodbye-"

°~Present~°

(Alexander POV)

"-Alexander...?"

"...David...?"

We took a long moment to stare deeply into each other's eyes, feeling that same passion that I'd once felt with an old friend.

My brother.

I hadn't a clue whether to smirk like a fool or fall to my knees; how the both of us had grown. David would forevermore have those apparent green eyes, lighting way through all of the surrounding darkness. Nevertheless, his dark hair was no longer fairly groomed, but was scuffed about horrifically. Though he had grown himself a rather impressive beard.

"General! A swarm of Redcoats from the East!!" John distracted, perceiving my recognition of David.
"Ugh! We'll leave him to his post. A few of you, come with me!" he ordered, wrenching out his musket and sprinting away with a couple of other gullible ones.

I forced myself over to the pole, kneeling to the ground to intake him completely. In the meantime, I saw Y/N rushing over in a panic, immediately untying him from his restrains. "Sophie, what are you doing?!" I grunted. "He'll be back any second!"
"There's no other way, Alex." she insisted, tugging the rope so that David was finally free.

(Y/N POV)

I studied each mark on his back, and with each mark, another story was told. It fascinated me, and yet, despite what this man had done, I couldn't let him suffer. With the restrains off, he grabbed the pole, steadily twisting his head to face me. He was sweating, exhausted from the torture.

"Thank... Thank you, Miss. Thank you." And with nothing more, he threw his arms over me fortunately. Alexander glimmered from behind, suddenly overjoyed by this experience. David, he'd called him. Never would I have thought that Alexander was friends with a Redcoat...

David stumbled back, dragging his arms to Alexander now. Together, they firmly patted each other on the back, reassembling their lost friendship. It seemed to be no deal that David had almost shot Alexander dead, for they must've had a reliable bond. And a strong one.

"Y/N, this is David." Alexander introduced, hand wrapped around his neck playfully.

"David L/N."

"He's my ch--"

"Wait... What?" I asked him to repeat.

"He's my childhood f--"

"No, not that. His name."

David came forth himself, though limping from the pain he'd inflicted. "David L/N, Miss." He placed a kiss onto my hand affectionately. "If I'd have known your identity, I swear, I would've never done such a thing to such a charming lady alike yourself."

"L/N?" I repeated once more.

"Is there a problem, Miss?" David wondered.

"I just... I--"

We heard rage. Wilson was coming back, more furious than ever. John looked about, debating on what he should do next. Though, based on his facial expressions, he couldn't think of anything.

"Here!" Hercules scrambled over, handing me the reins of a horse.
I passed them over to David, leaning in closer to his face. "Take this and run." I instructed.
Alexander glanced back at David, but nodded on realising that he'd be caught if we left this any longer. We assisted David upon the horseback, soldiers gaping their mouths open to figure out what and why this was happening.

Before the rapid departure, Alexander took David's hand into his nobly. "Safe travels... brother." he concluded. David grinned, fiercely taking back the reins and racing the horse away from the grounds.

From his tent, Washington stormed out, catching my eye. "S-- Miss Hamilton, what are you doing out here?!" he asked with concern.
"I- I was--"
"There's no time for it," he interrupted, "You're unwell and must rest."

Ignoring the fact that I was being guided away from the scene (and an overwhelmed Alexander), I stopped to think about that man. Surely, it had to be a coincidence. There are so many others out there with the same last name, that it was almost impossible...

...Almost...

~~~~~~~~~~

So I went to this recreation of an 1800s town and look what I found in one of the shops:

So instead of getting appointed right hand man, Washington hires Y/N into a baking business