The Masquerade (Pt 1)

(Y/N POV)

"I can't do this."

I gawped at the building, centered right before my eyes. It glistened in the darkness, with lights scattered about everywhere. Taking the spotlight, once again, were the aristocrats, strutting proudly with their partner. They hastily greeted other couples, eager for their night to begin.

"Of course you can, Madmoiselle! Have courage!" Lafayette exclaimed.
Redcoats patrolled the outskirts of the building. Afraid I'd make accidental eye contact, I looked down. "I'm not a soldier anymore, I don't need courage."
"Everyone needs courage. Otherwise how would you take risks?"
"Because your half-witted brain tells you to take those risks!"

"Half-witted, I would think not. The mind is a extraordinary creation, so as long as you believe you have courage, you will be fearless."
"Since when were you my Guru?"
"Since I was assigned to assist you."

I latched my arm around his. "Follow my lead, mon ami." he whispered. I gently nodded, and we strolled forth. Lafayette nodded his head with respect to strangers- meanwhile I clinged on desperately like a shadow. Approaching the Redcoats, a man stumbled upon me with a childish smirk. Imitating Lafayette's manner, I bowed my head to him.

Although the Redcoats stared, we were permitted entry past them. It had barely reached 5 o'clock, and men were already lumbered on the steps of the building in a drunken state. One even had the nerve to whistle at me. Stopping in his tracks, Lafayette glared at him. The man instantly backed down, resorting to a bottle of whisky with his companions.

"Nicely done." I complimented.
"Merci. We'll adapt to Nicholas Hurst, the proprietorial yet callous husband of Olivia Hurst, an unlawful wife."
"I don't know... This is-"
"For now, forget Mr Fernández, as I forget Adrienne. Set yourself as Charlie Miller... but a woman." He halted me outside of the doors. "You're going to be magnificent, mon ami. Don't allow your relationships to direct you away."

Lafayette opened the door, driving us both into an outstretched hallway. From top to bottom, people crowded around in groups, bickering amongst themselves. I took Lafayette's arm again and we followed to the end. Indeed had General Washington's estate been a luxury, but this was far beyond. Close to a palace, I'd say. It reeked with materialism.

We scaled up a set of stairs, winding to the left and right. We took the left. At the top, two gentlemen in evening dress guarded the door. The one to our left held a thick sheet of paper, proceeding towards us. "Good evening, Sir and Madam." he greeted.
"Good evening." Lafayette responded.
"May I have the permission to ask for your names?"
"Mr Nicholas Hurst, and my wife, Mrs Olivia Hurst." His accent was surprisingly good.

The gentleman scanned down the page, placing a tick next to our names. "You may proceed." he granted, opening his hand out to the ballroom.
"Thank you." We proceeded to the balcony overlooking the commotion. It was a spectacular sight to behold, with vibrant dresses illuminating the room. I peered to the one I'd chosen only the night before, comparing myself to their beauty.

"Mr and Mrs Hurst!" The man from before called out. From what I could inspect, not one soul paid any attention. Good.
"Why have two sets of stairs?" I questioned critically as we descended.
"Because England is filled with many strange people."
"I take offence." I joked.
"Not you, of course. You're a colonist now, Madmoiselle."

A table was conveniently free near the edge of the stairs, so we took our place there. "Keep your back straight and your head high." Lafayette advised. I foraged around, taking note of any man that might be of potential interest. Nearer to the right side of the room, around 10 individuals gathered about a large table. They appeared far more noticeable than any other group, all baring fairly combed hair and besuited uniforms.

"Do we have a plan?" I wondered.
He shrugged. "We could." He leaned his head over to get a better look in my direction. "Ah, very well done, mon ami."
"Thank you."
"I can't precisely distinguish from here, but I... Ah, yes! I recognise a face or two."
"Who are they?"
"Members of Parliment."

"Are they not based in London?"
"They can correspond to all parts of the country." -He tapped my shoulder- "We're in luck."
"...So the plan?"
Lafayette thought for a minute. "Catch one of their eyes. Seem uninterested in myself, and once he notices, I'll leave to buy drinks. Then you can lure him over."

"And that'll work?"
"He won't form an instant connection, no. Throughout the course of the night, revisit him. Dance with him, if he takes the offer."
"I'm a terrible dancer-"
"They'll be drunk and disorderly. He will not care so long as you're still attractive to him."
"Attractive?"
"Trust me."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure." I gazed back over at the table. Not one looked back.
"Have patience." Lafayette murmured. "One shall turn."
For what must have been minutes, I waited. At long last, a man rose from his chair, studying the room. He trailed his eyes at mine, interlocking them together. As awkward as it was, I gave him an innocent smile. I twisted my head away shyly, my face drooping immediately.

"What am I doing." I spoke to myself.
"He is still staring, look again, mon ami."
As disheartening as it was, I found that he was indeed still staring. I wanted to break down into a fit of screaming, although I knew that I had to keep it up. It was working.

Lafayette pretended to be distracted by something, so the man used this as an opportunity to smile back. And my life was it a hideous smile. I slumped my head upon my hand to express my 'boredom'. The man smirked again with the raise of an eyebrow.

What was I getting myself into.

"Alright, I'll leave you to it." Lafayette concluded. "How long should we say? 5 minutes?"
"5 minutes..." I sighed.
"If you need me, I'll be at the bar." he reassured.

Now unattended, I resorted my eyes back to the man. Taking a deep breath for the regret I was about to feel, I gestured for him to take a seat. Cautiously checking that Lafayette was out of sight, he made his way over. He moved with a swagger that looked absolutely ridiculous. His mask, alike Lafayette's, was an ebony colour. A feather stuck out from the corner.

He advanced rather suddenly, snickering as he made his way past me. He took his seat on the direct opposite with that same. Revolting. Smirk. It led me to appreciate how finer Charles was compared to most others. Especially this freak.

He parted his lips, prepared to speak.

"Good evening to you, Miss."

~~~~~~~~~~

So I stayed round at my friend's house last night and look what I found.

It's P E R F E C T .