Secret To Paradise

The arena was dark; nothing could be seen throughout the abyss. I stared into the endless void, feeling around the warm air. A consumption of greed and turmoil smote the land, filling it entirely with grief.

How...

How long had it been since...?

Honesty and jealousy emerged from the mist as I recalled they always had. "H- Hello?" I stuttered. Last time, all I could hear were pitches of screams. Now it were like I was underwater, listening to the echoes above me on land. I wriggled my fingers about but was barely able to stand. I was weakened.

The mists hovered a distance from each other. Jealousy stood strong, just as honesty vibrated softly. "Hello?!" I called again. Unexpectedly, jealousy flinched. It didn't move, but it flinched. I was finally creating an impact on this dream.

I tried to move again but couldn't find the strength. My knees buckled and I was yet to fall. "Hello!!" Jealousy twitched more noticeably; I swore that I even heard a grunt. Honesty hadn't a reaction thus far and shone as bright as ever. Meanwhile, jealousy was distracted by all around it.

The mumbled noises. Distinguishably a male. The sounds hurt no longer, only made me feel deafened. Again, the only words clear enough for me were "refused", "ready" and "count". Furthermore, there was the additional recognition of the word "God". God...? Was this... some sort of afterlife...?

The piecing sound as honesty and jealousy parted was no different. I collapsed upon the ground and covered my ears from the shock. For a dream, this was all too much like reality. Surely I shouldn't be conscious in a dream, right? I should be observing on the sidelines, likely to forget once I woke up...

The smoke surrounding honesty faded, followed by its blue light. I knew what would happen next. Jealousy too would fade away and I would wake up. I couldn't predict the dream's next occurrence and took my chance. I lunged forward at jealousy using my knees. I heard it shriek. "GET BACK!!" the muffled voice sounded. It started to crumble. A transparent hand suddenly latched onto my wrist, pulling me back into the abyss with it.

(Y/N POV)

"SOPHIE!!" Alexander bellowed. He was grabbing both of my shoulders. "What's wrong?!!"
"Nothing's wrong, what are you talking about?! I just..." -I inspected my wrist- "...Had a bad dream..."
"You were screaming." his voice stammered. "Screaming. As though you were dying."
"I'm fine, see?" I raised my hands. "Nothing to be worried about."

He rapidly stood up and threw his hands on his hips. "From here on in, you are disallowed to take a nap without my surveillance."
"Alexander!" Chuckling, I gave him a small hug. "Everyone has bad dreams. It's not like someone was going to hurt me!"
"On the contrary what if they did and I wasn't there to prevent it-"
I squished his cheeks together, holding his mouth shut. "Stop your whining otherwise I will purposefully get myself into trouble.

Now!" Letting go of him, I fell backwards to fold my blanket. "What have you and General Washington been up to?"
"A- About that!" Alexander presented to me a badge on the side of his uniform. "I am proud to announce that I have also been promoted."
"That's wonderful, Alex!" I traced my finger over it. "Is that- A General?!"
He smirked. "Finally in the command of my own batallion."

I was more than glad he'd received this; for the longest time, he'd wanted to fight his own war. Now he could (of course, under certain restrictions). As for me? General Washington agreed that I would be the first female soldier of the American Revolution to serve legally under Congress. Apparently, many didn't like or accept it, though he saw it a reasonable path. So long as I was under strong protection in battle.

I'd gone back to my old disguise: Charlie Miller. I shortened my hair, which turned out worse than Emily's original attempt. Our alliances were made to know exactly who I was, whereas our rivals will believe I am just another peasant boy. To return to this lifestyle was a tremendous thought, actually. I'd have a little more freedom than usual... just not whilst Alexander was around.

The excitement consumed me to the extent that I had almost forgotten about all at home. Charles hadn't responded since my last letter. Emily kept up her usual routine of 2-3 letters weekly, although this week I had only received one. Poor Charles, he... He must be heartbroken. It was an unforgivable curse of who I was. If I told him, he would surely believe me, would he not? Would he... think differently of me?

Leave me forever?

I used my fingertips to comb through my shortened hair. I'd made sure my luggage was readily prepared before I'd taken my nap and hustled it out onto the porch. A man I hadn't spoken to for quite some time, Aaron Burr, travelled past on horseback. Even Cornelius, one of the most uncooperative men on earth, spoke more than him.

"Burr!!" I exclaimed. I jogged down with two of my bags in hand. Man did it feel good to be in trousers again.
He reared his horse backwards. "Miss Hamilton."
I pushed myself through the gates. "How is life getting at you?"
"Splendidly, thank you. I can imagine the same?"
"Oh... Yes, of course... In certain aspects."

"War's not one of them?" Burr assumed.
"You could say it is. Life in New York at this moment is... complicated." Since the end of 1780, I'd heard Alexander gossip on about Burr occasionally. About a 'special someone'. "Forgive me, but curiosity strikes me. Is it in fact that you are an open lover now? Someone named..."
"Theodosia." he completed. He tried to hide a grin. "Theodosia Prevost. And her husband would kill me if he found out."
"...O- Oh..."

Alexander pounced out of the open door with his own bags. Spotting Burr, he nodded his head to him. Burr nodded back. "I'd best be on my way. Good day, Miss Hamilton."
"Good day, Sir."

Alexander joined me once again as Burr left. "That man." he sighed. "What a wonder."
"Meaning...?"
"To take a married woman? Isn't that... scandalous? And Burr, of all the men in the world!"
"Must mean he has good taste." I joked. "Come on, we'll get these loaded onto the carriage."

~~~~~~~~~~

5th January, 2019.

'Legacy' was published.

5th January, 2020.

We are 129 chapters in (excluding this one).

That's amazing.

That's a range of 129,000-193,500 words written in the space of this last year.

Thank you all for making this happen.

You are amazing.

Now go and show the world how amazing you are.

I believe in you 👊