Together Again

(Cornelius POV)

God.

God God God God God God.

Please don't end me for this.

Let me stay.

HSQR JCR KC QRYW--

(Y/N POV)

"God..." I sighed, wiping my sweat as I studied the map. "And you're sure that they're nowhere around?"
"I'm certain, Miss." David replied.
"Then what is it that you plan to do?"
"I don't know, Miss... I could be murdered if I trail onto New York."
"W- Wait, you're suggesting that you come back to New York with me?" I pondered, stopping my horse.

He halted in front of me once he'd noticed my shock. "I didn't... necessarily suggest it as such, Miss..."
I sighed reluctantly. "You believe that if you come to New York, you'll be able to board a ship back to England."
To my expectations, he nodded.
"And is that through my use?"
"Not at all!" he exclaimed frantically. "I would never use a woman for my own sake!"

I eyed him down, tugging the reins to continue on. "So you're a friend of Mr Hamilton's, correct?" David quizzed.
"Niece." I corrected him... though at the same time I lied.
"Niece, ay? Then your father must be James Hamilton. How is he doing these days?"
"He's dead." I stated bluntly, honestly uninterested in the conversation and intrigued by our position on the map.

"Oh... I'm so sorry to hear that, Miss..."  David murmured. "My father passed a mere few years ago, fighting alongside me in the war. Still now it horrifies me: that pale look on his face as his eyes blinked for one final time. I could never forget it."
"I'm sorry." I glanced at him, patiently smiling.
"He was an honourable man. Though he was a fisherman the most of his life, he was no coward."

I steadily placed my index finger on the map, appearing only a short way away from New York by now. At least an hour and we'd have arrived. "If you want to come to New York with me, you have to promise that you'll hide who you really are." I warned. "There are hundreds of Redcoats patrolling the city, so you have to stay submissive."
"Don't worry of it, Miss." David responded confidently.
"Please just call me Sophie. Being referred to as Miss after months of disguising as Mr Charlie Miller is embarrassing."

~

Before we entered the city, I stopped David on realising that he still had his chest exposed. "Here, quick." I tossed him my jacket for him to cover himself up with. "And remember, don't let the Redcoats see you. They might recognise you."
"I've got this." he dismissed, as we travelled over the bridge.

"It's the soldiers!!" A young boy missing his two front teeth chanted loudly, alerting everyone of our arrival.
"Great..." I mumbled. Mucky children hurdled from alleys, praising us as though we were here to save them. It was unfortunate to see that some were in such poverty that they hadn't enough to bare clothes, hiding themselves behind sturdy walls.

Envious, filthy women were attracted to the commotion, cupping their hands out before us for some kind of affection. They bowed their heads sheepishly, awaiting their gift of food or drink. Whilst others, particularly in David's case, tried to flirt. They grappled his thighs and ever so delicately raised their dresses up with lust, exposing their ankles to him. Rolling my eyes, I heeded him to quicken up our pace.

As usual, two or more Redcoats would be keeping guard on the outskirts of the city. That was no change. They frowned at us as we passed, David keeping his head low to avoid detection. They said nothing, for they knew that havoc would reign if they tried to confront us. Therefore, they ignored, and I led us both to the Dame.

~

"Here we are." I concluded, looking out to my old home. Children skipped around with metal hoops around their ankles, for this street had to be one of the quietest in New York.
"Lively." David contemplated, taking a look around. "And your home is...?"
"Not here." I admitted. "We need to catch my sister first."
"Sister, eh?"
"Kind of, but no. Alexander took her in."
"I see..."

I leaped from the horse, towing it closer to the Dame. I took a deep breath as I approached, the children staring at me with fright. I attached the horse to the fence, before entering through the small gate.

There she was. Sat alone on the steps of the building, staring at the play commencing before us. I smiled in delight, but she couldn't seem to pay any interest, focusing upon the children. I steadily came and sat next to her, working out where he gaze met.

"Mum used to take us out to play like this." she commented. "We'd just have fun all day long. Don't you remember?"
"...Yes. Yes I do." I muttered. Emily rested her head upon my shoulder, holding my hand for comfort.

"I thought you weren't coming back." she whispered hoarsely.
"I'd never let you down." I leaned my head over to lay upon hers, creeping an arm around her shoulder.
"You stopped writing, so I just... stopped hoping..."
"Emily." I forced her to look at me. "I will never leave you. I'm on this world as long as you are. And I'm sorry that I troubled you; you can beat me up all you want about it. Because all I want to see is that energy that you used to have, the Emily that you used to be. So chin up."

I hugged her, reconnecting with our bond. I'd never realised how much I'd needed this until now. "There's someone I'd like you to meet." I told her. "His name is David L/N, and he'll be staying with us for a while."
"L/N??" Emily repeated.
"I know, I'm sceptical, too. But it's probably just a coincidence."

Emily nodded, getting herself up. "Wait, why is he staying with us...?"
"He's a Redcoat." I stated.
"What?!"
"We can trust him! I managed to get him out of being held prisoner and he can't find his way back to his camp." I tried to explain. She raised one eyebrow in suspicion. "It's all good, alright? We just need to keep him hidden."

Ducking my head to secrete myself from any teachers peering from the window, I escorted Emily back down the street, grabbing my horse along the way. David was sitting on the curb, tossing stones at the opposite. "Emily, this is David." I introduced. David bolted up, prepping his (well, my) jacket to appear stylish. "David, my sister Emily."

David kissed her knuckles affectionately. "Nice to meet you, Miss. I hope my stay doesn't bother you."
"Not at all." Emily replied, with a hint of sarcasm that only I could truly recognise. I nudged her to be respectful.

"You'll have to stay at Alexander's place, for there's nowhere to hide here." I informed David.
"Alone?" he questioned.
"I mean... I suppose I could stay." -I turned to Emily- "Would you be able to come?"
"Probably not." she sighed, "They'll notice I'm gone. But I can easily sneak out in the day?"
"Ah, so you're both good at spywork, eh?" David wondered.
"I... guess so."

"Emily, you could come now or--"
"Yes!" she interrupted. "I uh... need a break from this mess."
I chuckled, getting up onto the horse, before helping her up too. She grappled onto my waist, as terrified of horses as I once was.

"Let's go."