Patriot

!!WARNING!!

...

°~9:56a.m.~°

(Y/N POV)

Alexander steered closer. Washington permitted that I could ride on my own horse, just in case it aroused any suspicion from enemies if I were riding with someone else. Alexander on the left, Cornelius to the right. From the threat of Cornelius's presence, Alexander rode closer to me, driving Cornelius slightly further away.

"Remember how to use a musket?" Alexander checked.
"Of course I do!" Back at Williamsburg, Wilson had tested my musket handling shortly before we had left. "I had already learnt my basics from the master, anyway." I said referring to Cornelius. If it weren't for him, I may not have known the tactics I did today. Overhearing us, he grinned and turned away. Alexander scoffed.

"Why you flatter me, Miss." Cornelius responded in a tone that I couldn't interpret. Jokingly or genuine?
"I would hope not..." Alexander grunted. "She has no place for you, if that is what your intentions are."
"Alex-"
"Not at all, Sir."
"Then shut your damn mouth before I shut it for you."

I rolled my eyes, directing my horse to the other side of Alexander. "Alexander, you can't say that!"
He was encouraged by my interruption. "I should wish to inform you, Sir, that Miss Hamilton shall find herself a suitor soon enough!"
"Al-!!"
"And I bid Miss Hamilton all of the best of luck!" Cornelius exclaimed.
"Yes! And I will have you know that she will not be marrying a half-witted brute!"

I gripped his arm. "Alexander, neither of us have any interest so can you please just stop this? You are acting like a child!"
"You may not," -He glared at Cornelius- "Yet he certainly does."
"Oh, go on! Get out of here!" I slapped the back of his horse which sent him off towards Washington.

I reunited back with Cornelius, the one I had to stick with throughout all of this. Like those partners you were assigned to hold hands with in school. "I am truly sorry about that." I apologised.
"Don't be, Miss Hamilton." he comforted. "Your uncle has raised you for quite some years now. It is unambiguous that he would treat you with a fatherly status."
"Fatherly status?"
"I suppose, yes. You were the first initial child of his upbringing, were you not?"
"...Yes, that's right-"

Cannonfire.

Instinctively, we drew out our muskets as a couple of men were hit at the front of our cavalry. A redoubt lay ahead, though I was entirely unaware from being so immersed into the conversation.

"Germans..." Cornelius mumbled.
"Pardon?"
"Hessian Jägers. Serve for the British. The riflemen at the front should deal with them so we mustn't worry too much." he reassured.
"A- Alright..."

Men in dark blue and red uniforms charged for the cavalry; they yielded swords into the air. They were thankfully no match for us and were killed almost instantly.

Another cannonfire, missing all but one soldier. "GET DOWN!" Cornelius grasped the back of my head to force it downwards. A bullet must have barely struck past my head. I stuck my fingers into my ears as he shot his musket above me. Then a second time.

"Good shot, Jackson!" a soldier praised him.
He didn't respond and helped me to sit upright again. "Are you alright?!" he asked.
"Yes, I'm fine..." I sighed. I may have been killed just then if not for him. "Thank you."
"Thank me later, we've got Redcoats to kill."

"WILSON, YOU STAY HERE WITH THIS ONE! THE REST OF YOU ON THE LEFT, FOLLOW ME!" declared Washington, sprinting off with half of the cavalry. The other half on the right, including us, followed Wilson's lead.
"ALRIGHT, RUSH ON!!" he ordered.

We charged towards the redoubt, everyone finally leaving their horses. I rapidly equipped Washington's sword for precautions. The men at all three of the cannons had been shot dead by the riflemen, posing little threat to our lives now. Survival was high.

Cornelius made sure to stay close. Together, we performed a stampede of soldiers invading the redoubt; from this height, the others were being captured too, with the French far into the distance. The remaining soldiers were endlessly slaughtered and few made a retreat. I shakily kept my musket held firm into the air in case anyone came back. Wilson, still in lead, shot an injured soldier in the head, pronouncing the final one dead.

"Looks like we're clear but don't lower your guard." he announced. There were over a hundred of us confined into this compact space. Nobody in opposition could escape alive by now.
"You're safe now, Miss." Cornelius lowered my musket. "You're safe. Not a man can reach us."

I nodded and shifted the musket to my side. Soldiers stood at the tops of the redoubt, fighting off enemy soldiers fleeing from the other redoubts. I shivered at the sounds of gunfire. Cornelius took ahold of my shoulders, bending down to my height. "I'm here, okay? We're all here, safe."
"Where's Alexander?"
He pointed his head upwards and scanned. "He must be with General Washington."

My heart pounded faster.

"Listen to me, Sophie, he'll be okay. When all of the Redcoats have left, we can join him, okay? Nothing will happen to him and nothing will happen to you."
"...Alright." I gulped.

"Miss Hamilton, how are you coping, dear? Alright?" Wilson came over to check.
"Yes, Sir. Just startled, that's all."
"Alright... Just stay with Mr Jackson, he will take care of you." he guaranteed.
"...Yes, Sir."

I stared at one of the bodies. These poor men were only fighting for their country the same as we all were. They... They didn't deserve this. They could have had a family. A wife and children to take care of. Now the wife is widowed. And the children left without a father.

Why I was here I could never know. It... felt right. From the beginning, it felt right. I wanted to be a patriot, a woman who could stand up for her country and prove all of the social morals wrong. Likely enough, I wouldn't change that. There's too little enthusiasm. But at least in history it could go down that I participated towards it. I fought in a war that was entirely useless. Alas, I did it.

And I was going to prove everyone wrong.

I am Y/N L/N.

~~~~~~~~~~

Okay so I got a 2020 Hamilton calender for Christmas and

I just thought you might like to see this

I found it quite humorous