Schoolyard Memories

!!Warning!!

(Y/N POV)

"A ball. On the 21st." I announced to Lafayette. We'd decided to take a stroll down a remote little street, exploring the city.
"Fabuleux. Did he reveal anything to you?"
"No... It was the perfect opportunity, but he was drunken, and I was..."
He tilted his head. "Afraid?"
"...You could say that.

I just feel like I'm betraying him."
"Mr Fernández?"
"Yes." I tittered. "Although I decline, I adore him, Lafayette. I never thought I'd feel like this... for anyone. You must understand, do you?"
"Eh." He shrugged. "My wife and I were in an arranged marriage. Our relationship developed over the persuasion of our parents."

"...I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that-"
"Non, it's alright! You're young. Love plays a consequential role. And to find love is a treasure. Women are pressured to marry, the majority into an unhappy marriage. So if you feel that he is the one, don't let him escape, cher."

And I wouldn't. It was tough to find a man who vowed to be loyal, to be true. Charles was just that. If he hadn't have been raised from a wealthy family, I fear that he wouldn't expose the personality that he does today. His manner was respectful, he was charming, but most importantly, he knew precisely how to lure someone in. You wouldn't think that, for a moment, he was the reserved boy answering the door to a confused time traveller looking for an education.

I noticed an opening into a brick wall as we passed. I slowed our pace to have a better look. A field stretched out far into the distance with young boys playing together near a schoolhouse. The older ones tossed a ball to one another, gathered around in a circle. Similarly, the younger ones held wooden swords, challenging each other in battle. Few made pretend guns from their arms, 'shooting' at their opponents.

Just beside the schoolhouse laid a desolate pond. For whatever reason, that pond sparked something within me. Although it were just a pond. "Madmoiselle?" Lafayette questioned as I stared. I blinked my eyes. This...

°~Flashback

I leaned against the gates just beside the pond, awaiting my sister. Mum had insisted I keep an eye on her, as it was her first day of highschool. Truthfully, I couldn't care less where she was, but if I returned home empty-handed, I'd be murdered.

I rolled my eyes at the new kids, bounding out of the grounds like this were some fun new game. It was unfortunate realising that their innocence would be stripped away from them in a flash. The older kids weren't the most merciful.

Having joined the school a year ago, many from my old school accompanied me. We all lived locally, and this seemed to be the closest school to us all. Since then, we'd grown apart into separate groups; I'd never found one to stick to. I was the socially awkward theatre freak, after all, and those two aspects did not make a great combination.

Anyway, I observed as Emily leaped over the crowd and lunged herself at my arm. She chuckled hysterically. "Had fun?" I questioned, tugging her off of me.
"It was great!!" she giggled. "My teachers are soooooo cool!!" 
I began to walk. "Mmhm."

"I did get lost, though." she mentioned, quickly catching up to me. "Nobody told me where I was going."
"That's how school works, Em, and you'd better get used to it fast."
"Not even you helped me!"
"Well I was at my own lessons!"
"Right, but you could've at least tried to... y'know, find me!!"

I sighed. "Emily, I've got my own matters to deal with."
"Mum's gonna kill you when she finds out."
"Of course you'd tell her."
"What?! I'm the youngest, and the youngest always gets the most attention!"
"Yeah, I know. You're a snitch."

I crossed my gaze over to my left, identifying Jeffrey and his group of friends. We'd known each other for years, but only now had he really began to change. He was tormenting, manipulative. And I was his victim. No surprise, really, taking in my constant discomfort around people. If this were centuries ago, he wouldn't have thought twice than to behave as he did.

"Y/N!" he exclaimed. He collided with my shoulder, acting as my friend. "Who's that?" -He stared Emily down- "Girlfriend?"
"She's my sister." I grunted.
"And who are you?" Emily asked back.
Jeffrey snickered. "Why would you need to know?"

"You asked who I was, so I want to know who you are!" she argued.
I punched her lightly on the arm as a warning.
"Suppose she's got a mouth, Y/N. Sure she's your sister? Thought she would've been a lot more like you."
"Y/N's adopted secretly, aren't you?" Emily joked.
"No, Emily, s-"

"You're adopted?!" Jeffrey teased. "Even your 'sister' admits it!"
"I'm not adopted, she's being a little--" I grabbed her arm and dragged her away.
"Is he your friend?" she enquired.
"No, he's not, he's a childish--"
"What's your problem, Y/N?" Jeffrey called. "Leave your shithead sister and have s-!"

"If you say one more fucking word-" I gasped at my sudden use of language, enraged by his mockery of my sister.
Jeffrey's friends joined him, 'oo'ing with pathetic sniggers. "Oh, I'm sorry!" he faked. "Did I hurt your feelings?"
A small crowd gathered to watch. "Just..." -I took Emily's shoulder- "Piss off."

We took our steps from the property.

°~End Flashback

"Madmoiselle!" Lafayette called.
"Yes!" I emerged from my daydream. A man appeared at the door of the schoolhouse, gathering the children inside in an orderly line. Around thirty children, I'd predicted, of all ages.

I turned to the ground beneath my feet. Was this really...? I was grateful that my memory hadn't yet corroded in on itself completely. I envisaged the images of my fellow students brooding down these exact streets. None had even to know of their existences yet- it scared me.

A one-room schoolhouse, where the highschool of the 21st Century would later stand. Smiling, I resorted back to the children. Children that could possibly shape the world. And by the time that the highschool is built, by the time that girls can also get a reasonable education, they'll all be gone. Lafayette will be gone.

I'll be gone.

~~~~~~~~~~

I am deeply sorry for how terrible this is, I've been having writer's block for a couple of days and it's killing me.