Reconciliacion

°~2 Weeks Later~°

(Y/N POV)

It was January, and the soldiers were set to go back to war.

Emily was rather displeased by this, considering her recent engagement to John. Alas, he stayed with her as frequently as he could before his departure. I was the lucky one, I supposed. Whilst many other women's soulmates were venturing out to battle, mine was left to remain at home. He had no chance out there.

Speaking of Charles, I'd have to pay him a visit, for my dresses were becoming increasingly tight. I'd coped with it before, but now it was almost unbearable. Therefore, I would join Eliza and Emily to the carriages with Alexander and John.

I heaved my coat upon my shoulders, trailing downstairs and into the living room. Eliza was helping Alexander with his uniform, and Emily huddled against John. I yawned into my arm, for it was still fairly early. Peering out through the window, wives were kissing their husbands goodbye. Children sobbed into their mother's dress. It was a surprisingly overwhelming sight, so I turned myself away.

"Are we all prepared?" Alexander asked, readying his leave. We all nodded, shy to speak. John held the door for us, and we left in a quiet manner. From the instant I stepped out into the open, the streets were filled with tender sobs. But I couldn't escape it now. As usual, the two couples hooked arms, and I walked to John's side.

Not a word. The entirety of the way there, the sorrow was enough to emote for us all. Of course, some were excited for the adventure, especially the newcomers. But the majority were wracked with grief. The carriages were in sight; it felt just like it had the first time. Except... I wasn't joining the soldiers.

The time was closing near, so Alexander and John joined the line to sign in. I stood away from the other soldiers, for I knew that they'd recognise me in an instant.

And they did.

I felt someone's presence haunt my side. "Good morning, Miss Hamilton."
"Good morning, General." Wilson stared out to his men thoughtfully. He crossed his arms and sighed.
"I'm sorry for the things I did to you. I shouldn't have acted so strictly, it was just my natural intention to do so."
"Don't blame yourself, General, it's your job. You just... wanted us all to do as well as you do, to meet your expectations."

"I understand. But if I'd have known, I would never do such a thing..." he admitted.
"Then maybe you should try to reform yourself this time around." I blurted without thinking. I thought that perhaps he'd give me a scolding look- instead, he smiled. Something that I'd never seen him do before.

"You're growing a full head of hair, I see." Wilson commented.
"Yes, it's... a pain." I laughed.
"Did you cut it, before...?" Was he genuinely interested in conversation? Because wow.
"Yeah, my sister over there was actually the one who cut it." I gestured towards her.

"I see. Well I don't want to waste your time, for we must be off shortly." Wilson concluded. "Be well, Miss Hamilton."
"And you, General." I moped back to the group, who were now exchanging their final goodbyes.

I met with John and Emily first. He pecked Emily on the cheek. "You need not worry about me." he comforted her. "When I come back, we are to be wed. So rather than stressing about me, stress about our preparations. Surprise me." Emily nodded, kissing him back.

John was distracted by me, pulling me into another hug. "Don't go doing anything stupid, alright?" I warned him.
"Me? Stupid? I'm far from it!" he joked.

As far as I could remember, which was very little...

...Nothing was going to happen to John.

"Stay with Alexander if you need to. But then again, he's just as bad."
"I'll, uh... actually be off to South Carolina within a few months." he told me.
"...Really? How come?"
"I've... organised a plan with a few others to grant slaves their freedom."
"John, that's a great idea!" I complimented.