Talk Less, Smile More

(Y/N POV)

"Pardon me, are you Aaron Burr, sir?!!"
"That depends," -he flipped the page of his book- "Who's asking?" He glanced up at me, studying my features. "Oh. You."
"I'm Charlie Miller, sir! It's a pleasure to meet you!" I greeted, shaking his hand violently. Burr dropped his book, losing the page he was on. Though I knew that Burr was someday going to become Alexander's biggest enemy, and perhaps even... kill him... I still admired his work. Besides, I had to pretend I didn't know anything.

"I'm... getting nervous..." He pulled his hand away, rubbing it to relieve the pain.
"S- Sorry, sorry, I'm just... It's an honour to see you here, really!" I complimented.
"Uh-huh... Well if you don't mind me, Mr Miller, I'm going to go--"
Before he could escape, I tried to continue the conversation. "What's that you're reading??!!"
"Common Sense, by... Thomas Paine." Burr answered anxiously.

"I'VE READ THAT!! I mean not really I just admire it because y'know, you're reading it and you're so awesome and--" I stopped myself, sitting on the bench to calm my hyperactivity. "Sorry, I... I'm just trying to make friends..."

Burr sighed, placing the book back into a satchel by his side. He fiddled his thumbs awkwardly, and I mimicked him. He took notice of this and stopped. Gosh, I must be acting like such a freak. "Can I get you a drink, sir?" he finally asked.
"Yes... I mean, yes! That'd be great, thanks!"
"Hah, great." He latched his satchel onto his shoulder, signalling for me to follow him.

"So... You came here alone?" Burr interrogated.
"Indeed, sir."
"Please, just call me Burr." he insisted. In my mind, I was. But in reality, I only wanted to be polite as to keep my cover.
"Okay... Burr. Is this a common nickname for you?"
"Why else would I be using it?"
"...Right."

"Samuel!" Burr called. 'Samuel' was practically made of muscle, and tattoos were covered all along his arms. He looked menacingly at Burr and I. "Two pints for the both of us, if you will!"
Samuel offered his hand out.
"I don't have any on me right now, sorry."
He grunted angrily, tensing up his face.
"Okay fine: here." Burr took the book out of his satchel, handing it over to him. Samuel smiled contently, dragging out a bottle of rum from his bag. He poured it into two small cups, handing them to me and Burr. "Thanks, you're the man!"
He beat his chest with a clenched fist, smiling down at the book proudly.

"What was that all about?" I pondered, sitting back down on the bench.
"He keeps a collection of pencils," Burr sighed, "Nobody knows why. He'll offer up a drink in return for one."
"That's... strange."
Burr snickered. "I know."

"Ayyy, Sammy A!" someone cheered from behind us. "You know the drill: one for me, and one for Frenchy here!"
"Excuse me?!"

I tilted my head, discovering Hercules Mulligan and Marquis de Lafayette ordering a drink. "Oh my-- I know those two!!" I exclaimed.
"You do...?" Burr questioned.
"Well, not exactly, but I've heard of them!"
"Ah... Well I wouldn't invite them over bec--" Before Burr could even finish, I was already trudging towards them. "...Okay then."

"Hi! I'm Charlie Miller!!" I let out all at once. I had no idea how to bow, but I attempted to anyway. The upper part of my body just completely flopped over. "You must be Hercules Mulligan and Marquis de Lafayette!" Lafayette began to chuckle, covering his lips with his hand. "What's so funny?"
"Your bow, Monsieur," he stated, "It's quite something."
"Yes, I've... never really been taught how to bow."
"A lower class family, oui?"
"I guess you could say that..."

"Well, I'm sure a firm handshake won't do any harm." Lafayette shook my hand, and my face rapidly started to heat up. Peering at Hercules, it appeared that he was admiring a team of horses tied up to a fence.
"I, umm, just wanted to ask if you'd like to sit with Mr Burr and I." I guided my hand in Burr's direction, and the instant that Lafayette looked, Burr covered his face from embarrassment.
"I am grateful for the offer, mon ami, but we would prefer not." Lafayette rejected.
"Okay, that's... fine."

Something was off. I strictly remember the trio from the musical: John Laurens, Marquis de Lafayette and Hercules Mulligan, with the addition of Alexander. But... Where was Laurens? First, he wasn't with Alexander earlier, and now he hasn't shown up with his closest friends for a drink.

"Out of curiosity, sir, not to be rude, but where might your friend John Laurens be?"
Hercules shot a steady eye at me, alarmed by the mention of his name. "He, uh..."
"Mulligan! Lafayette!" I stumbled over a bit, watching as Alexander came rushing over. He gave me a suspicious glare, before taking his companions' shoulders and wandering off.

I resorted back to Burr, who'd somehow managed to find another book to read after finishing his pint. "That screwed up." I murmured, resting my elbow against the bench and slouching on my hand.
"Let me offer you some free advice, Mr Miller." He tipped his book over, so he wouldn't lose the page. "Talk less." he said bluntly.
"...What?"
"Smile more." He passed me my half-finished pint, pulling on a forced smile.
"Hah... I guess your right..." I agreed.

I downed the pint, almost gagging from the taste. I usually wasn't allowed any form of alcohol, as it was considered "inhumane" for a woman. "Thank you for not... shoving me away." I sighed, "I was worried that I'd have no one out here." Burr nodded, focused on his reading.

~

I spent most of the day with Burr, although he didn't talk much. Hercules and Lafayette never came back after roaming off with Alexander, so I was stuck here. Even Cornelius hadn't moved from the tent. The sun had recently set, and all were resigning to their tents.

"Well, we'd better get going." Burr concluded.
"Agreed." We escorted each other to the camp, where everyone was returning to their tents. Some had started a campfire and were singing songs around it whilst drinking whiskey.

"I'll see you around, Miller." Burr and I parted ways, and I followed to my own tent. Cornelius was smoking a papelate, laying on the grass and staring at the night sky.

"Stars are wondrous creations, aren't they?" he admired.
"They are." I decided to sit next to him, stroking the delicate ground.
"I sometimes wonder why they are up there. To satisfy the human eye? Contemplate the laws of Physics? May we someday know."

I reflected on the words of my father: "Stars are of the deceased," he'd start, "As long as those stars are there, their souls will never leave our sides. Someday, I'll be one of those stars, and I promise you, Y/N, I will always protect you. You, your sisters, your dear mother; I'll keep you all safe." Of course, I could remember any of that personally: I was only a toddler. It was my mother who always kept his words in mind. And from then on, I always admired his sacrifice for our family.

"I'm thankful for the stars. They're another mystery for humanity to discover." I got up, opening the entrance to the tent. "Goodnight, Cornelius."
He puffed some smoke out of his mouth, watching it drift off into the night.

"Goodnight, Mr Miller."

~~~~~~~~~~

OMG

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH

I KNOW IT MAY NOT SEEM A LOT BUT WOW

JUST THANK YOU