Words Of The Wise

°~21st September, 1781~°

(Y/N POV)

"Where is the old man?" Lafayette mumbled. Tripping along behind him, I weaved through the surprisingly large crowd with the luggage. This time I'd forced Lafayette to let me carry half.
"Perhaps he's... waiting in the carriage?" I panted.
"Non, he would present himself."

We'd arrived in Virginia mere minutes ago. From here we'd travel to Williamsburg where the troops were waiting. General Rochambeau was ordered by Washington to escort us back and informed that they had a later surprise in store. Primarily for Lafayette, although it could be to my benefit.

Lafayette squirmed from the cluster, abandoning me to follow his trail. "Monsieur Lafayette!!" I heard a man bellow.
"Monsieur Rochambeau!"
I used my bags to make a pathway through; Lafayette and Rochambeau embraced in a hug. "Je pensais que tu avais été tué, mon garçon!"
"Pas tout à fait encore, vieil homme!"

As I came near, Rochambeau sighed gently at my sight. "You must be Madmoiselle Hamilton, no?"
"You are correct."
He kissed my hand. "I hope he has not caused you any trouble." he teased. Lafayette scoffed and began to load his bags onto the carriage. "May I take your belongings?"
"By all means."

Rochambeau hauled the bags along towards Lafayette. "I am sure that you miss your family?"
"Yes... My sister stays at home with my aunt, meanwhile my uncle assists General Washington and the troops."
He smiled in realisation. "Of course, yes. You are Colonel Alexander Hamilton's niece. He will be delighted to see you."

I seized for the carriage whilst Rochambeau continued to load. "I feel as if we're still rocking back and forth..." I complained. I claimed the seat to the left corner.
"Not used to ships yet?" Lafayette joked.
"I've boarded a tremendous total of two."
"No more for some time, mon ami, you're on secure grounds."

Rochambeau hopped straight in and slammed the doors behind. He knocked at the roof the carriage, sending a signal to the coachman to set off. We jolted forward and Rochambeau was sent flying back into his chair opposite me.

"I have heard much about you, Madmoiselle." he started.
I sneered. "Nothing positive, I'd suppose."
"On the contrary, us Frenchmen take a fondness to your aspiration."
"...You do?"
"Of course we do, child! How many women have betrayed their family's will and intentionally made their way to fight? To lead a battle, a war!"

I chuckled. "The colonists certainly think otherwise..."
"And I say blast them! Blast them all! This boy here! He betrayed our King so that he could fight!"
"Oui, and I was shot in the leg." Lafayette confessed.
"Yet you are Le Héros des Deux Mondes!"

"No, I could never be like him..."
"Man and woman. Both are a symbol of mankind. Both can achieve the utmost sensational things with a little work from the human mind. Women were not only made to love, but to fight. Men were not only made to fight, but to love. A leopard's spots should not change by the calling of the wind and neither should yours. For a leopard can reach its potential from baring those spots for an eternity. Never let anyone tell you what you can't be. You've got an army on your side, Madmoiselle.

We will fight with you."

~

"Alexander!!" I shoved the doors open and sprinted at him. He jogged forward and caught me in his arms.
"Sweet God, you're alright..." he sighed. He explored my face in the cup of his hand. "You're alright..." He repeated, gazing into my eyes.
"Were you afraid?" I chaffed.
"No! I-!"
"Mmhm." I hugged him closer.

Behind me, Lafayette and Rochambeau unloaded. "He took good care of you, didn't he?" Alexander pondered.
"Yes, Alexander, he took care of me!"
"Good. Did anyone else hurt you?"
"No."
"You're truthful?"
"Yes!!"

It wasn't a farm, or a remote field, like the last times. Now we were surrounded by a village with few inhabitants minding their day present. The soldiers were naturally curious of my arrival, as always, but I distinguished French soldiers scattered about with a small grin.

"Washington will be seeing you and Lafayette. I-"
"Miss Hamilton!" Washington himself was eager, also. He scurried across the road to meet me.
"General!"
He kissed my hand. "I am thrilled to see you- both of you, safe."
Lafayette toddled over. "General." He bowed his head respectfully.

"You'll require your rest. We have much to accomplish tomorrow and we don't want exhaustion getting the better of you." Washington poked his head upwards. "General Rochambeau!"
Rochambeau scampered over with the remainders of the luggage. "General Washington, Sir!" he gasped.
Washington chuckled. "Let us all take a walk."

Alexander rapidly joined at my right side. "How does it feel not being a Hurst any longer?"
"Despondent, I confess." Lafayette stated. "My newly British accent served me well."
"I'm just relieved to be back. Those people were sickening." I responded.
Alexander raised his eyebrow.
"My sincerest apologies. We did not aspire for it to be an unpleasant experience." Washington regretted.
"Don't be."

"If I should intrude, how were they sickening?" Alexander interrupted.
"You and your apprehension, Alexander Hamilton." I tugged upon his arm.
Washington chuckled. "A woman's privacy should not be imposed, Hamilton. Even if she is part of your bloodline."
"...Sorry..."

"Still, I relent to tell you, Sir, but I must. A scoundrel by the name of Rufus Monroe asserted himself towards me. It was the most inappropriate manner..." -I smirked to Lafayette- "But General Lafayette here kept his guard."
"Good thing he did." Alexander admitted.

Washington led us to a house at end of the street. Further on from here trailed to a bridge over a barren river. The door, apparently, was already unlocked and he pushed it open. "We will be staying here for the night. It's a sizeable home, though I will accommodate the downstairs' area."
Rochambeau compared the house to all of the others observantly. It had surely been renovated quite recently for it was cleansed of filth inside out.

"Excellent!" Lafayette guided himself and Rochambeau inside to dispose of the bags.

"Well?" Washington questioned. "Make yourself at home!"

~~~~~~~~~~

MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!!

(I'm saying this now incase I don't get one published on Christmas lol)