Reliable With The Ladies

(Emily POV)

Wow.

I don't know how I'd ever let this feeling go.

The things I always took for granted.

I could never truly appreciate how much I needed them.

I relaxed my body around the warmth of the bath, I was sunk within it neck-down, feeling as though I were living luxury. I glided my hands over the surface of the water, tingling my nerves and corrupting me with a pleasant sensation. I was so glad that I hadn't turned this down, otherwise I'd be stuck back in that filthy school.

I didn't ever want to go back.

I heard a knock at the door. "Emily?" Eliza called out.
I felt a cluster of cold hit my body as I sat up in alarm. "Yes?"
"You've been in there for hours, dear, are you alright?"
"Yeah, I was... actually getting out right now."

The bitterness of the water hit me. I was so immersed within it that I hadn't realised the vast change in temperature. I hopped out, frantically drying myself with a towel. I wrestled the dress back on, tightening the corset rather loosely. Finishing up with my shoes, I straightened up my hair and made an exit from the bathroom.

I was greeted by Eliza, and John peeking out from behind his bedroom door. He winked at me, running back in and slamming the door with laughter. "Boys will be boys." Eliza sighed.
"Your family really differs, doesn't it?" I joked. "You've got the studios ones, like Philip, but then there's just John."
Eliza giggled along. "He never learns. Nevertheless he's turning 15 in a few days or so, so it could be the reason for his excitement."

"Actually, sister, I have a perfectly good reason to be excitable!" John yelled from his bedroom.
"And what is that?" Eliza responded.
John poked his head out once more, pointing fingers in the shape of guns at us. "I'm simply reliable with the ladies~"
"Oh hush and get downstairs before father lectures you!" John ran off, a giant smirk on his face.

"You are welcomed for dinner. We'll be having a roast tonight." Eliza informed me.
"A roast? With... meat?"
She chuckled. "Yes, with meat. Beef, to be exact."
"Wow... I haven't had meat since... forever."
"Then what are we waiting for?"

~

"An orphan, you say?" John questioned. "So you're in need of... accompaniment~?" Angelica nudged John with her foot under the table, provoking a slight squeak from him. I giggled, amused by his attempts to charm me.

"John, be a man and fetch your mother for me." Schuyler ordered the teen.
"Uh, yes, father."
"No hesitations, boy! Haven't I taught you better?"
"Yes, father!" He scrambled back off upstairs to find Mrs Schuyler.

"I need to knock whatever devil is lurking inside of him out..." Schuyler sighed.
"You can't blame him, father. His birthday is only a matter of days away." Peggy joined.
"Yes, but he should be more focused on his studies, not some foolish day resolving to nothing.

Oh, I should stop bragging and focus on our guest here." He turned to me, making me gulp. "Your father is very brave for taking in two children, one of which he didn't even know of." He gestured at me.
"Thank you, sir. Taking into account his poverty, he is a generous man."
"And I agree. He visited us once, as you probably heard me mention before."

I saw Eliza's cheeks flush for a moment, as she looked down in embarrassment. Angelica tried to stop herself from chuckling, but just couldn't help it. "I've never met him," she admitted, "But I've heard he's the most handsome man in all of New York City--"
"Be quiet!!" Eliza screeched, hiding the redness of her face in her hands.

Back at the stairway, I watched as John escorted his mother downstairs, hooking her arm into his. She clutched her rounded stomach as she trailed down the steps. Angelica got up to help, taking her mother's other arm. They sat her down at the other end of the table, opposite of Mr Schuyler. On the left were the four Schuyler sisters, and I sat on the right with the three boys, just to even things out.

"How are you coping today, my love?" Schuyler asked.
"Better, though still fighting on." She glanced up at me. "Who is this, may I ask?"
"Mother! Our guest, Emily Hamilton." Eliza introduced for me.
"Hamilton... Yes, of course. I hope you'll find my family have welcomed you to our home, as I please do also."
"Thank you, ma'am."

Schuyler held his hands together, which sent an automatic signal to the others to follow. I decided to imitate along with them. "Almighty God, the eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. Bless the earthly bounty you have provided now before us. Let these nourish and strengthen our frail bodies, that we may better serve you; through Jesus Christ. Amen." Schuyler smiled at me upon finishing the prayer, and the family dug in.

"This is the most exquisite food, Victor!" John said with a stuffed mouth, having only have taken one bite. I noticed them a man lurking in the shadow of the room, watching hungrily as everyone else ate. A slave.

Victor nodded at John respectfully.

"Don't talk with your mouth full, John." Schuyler lectured.
"Sorry, father..."
"You must mind him, dear. He can be quite a handful. A snake charmer." Mrs Schuyler teased.

"Pfft, isn't that right." Philip agreed.
"Hey!!" John shouted.
"John, don't argue with your brother." Schuyler warned.
"Wh--!!" Philip smiled sarcastically at his brother, causing him to grunt and continue eating.

"Cornelia, my dear, you haven't spoken much lately. Have you introduced yourself to Miss Hamilton?" Schuyler asked. The toddler nodded, taking time to eat her meal.
"Come, Cornelia, all we need is a small hello!" Angelica tried to persuade her.
Cornelia tried looking me in the eyes, but couldn't help but instantly get nervous and face down. "Hello." she mumbled.

"I introduced myself, father!" Rensselaer informed him. "I also helped Margarita with her shopping!"
"That's a good lad." He ruffled his son's hair proudly. "Now I suppose we should stop bickering and eat our food before we all starve."

~

"It was nice getting to know you, Emily." Eliza finalised, "Maybe you could come around again sometime?"
"I'd like that." I accepted. "Your family are all so nice. You're really lucky to lead the life you do."
"Yes, but until a man sweeps me off of my feet, I'm stuck in the midst of this chaos for eternity." We both laughed in unison, realising the great bond that we were finally creating.

"So I'll see you another time!" Eliza concluded. "Goodbye, Emily!"
I waved to her as she departed in her beautiful carriage, under the beautiful sunset and my beautiful New York City.

But as I turned around, I knew that life was just going to go back to the way it was.

For me to be forgotten in this desolate school.

Possibly forever.