Pathetic Fantasies

Before we begin, I would just like to give tribute to Caroline Flack. Today we lost a legend who warmed so many people's hearts and she did not deserve the hate that she received, despite what she may or may not have done. Rest in peace, Caroline.

~~~~~~~~~~

!!WARNING!!

°~6:52p.m.~°

(Y/N POV)

"Damned fence..." Cornelius hit his axe upon the fence.

"Damned Redcoats..." He struck again, more fierce.

"Damned war..." He lunged his arms forward, creating a crack between the fence.

"Then why did you volunteer to join?" I questioned with a smirk. I crossed my arms and stood just behind him, allowing the other soldiers to hack their way through, too.
Cornelius could have hesitated for a millisecond, flickering his eyes in apparent reluctance. "For our nation. War is improper, though if we must ensure a home for our descendants then war can carry us to our ultimate success."

"Descendants, hm?" I repeated. "Do you want children of your own someday?"
"I believe that is not the matter at this moment, Miss Hamilton."
"Oh come on, Lieutenant Colonel, don't be such a bore! You could attract all of the women!" I continued to tease.
"I don't want to attract women." he grunted, almost with irritation.

"Sophie, there you are." Alexander grabbed my shoulder; he gripped an axe in his other hand. "Now this is going to be extremely dangerous. You are in the hands of Lieutenant Colonel Jackson here but I cannot reassure myself that you will be safe with us."
"I'll be fine, Alex, you d-"
"No, no." he persisted. He perked his head around the sides of the redoubt.

"We don't have anyone guarding the rear." he discerned, "If it is no trouble, Lieutenant Colonel, I would like you to take the Captain around there. You will stop them from escaping." The way that Alexander spoke towards him had changed.
"No trouble at all, Sir."
"Thank you." He even found it in himself to pat him on the shoulder.

"Remember the code word, Sophie."
"Rochambeau." I sighed. A specific use of a word, but it supposedly sounded like 'Rush on, boys'.
"Good. And when you hear that signal, you prepare, alright?" Alexander gazed at me, inspecting every last detail on my face. Then, he pulled me into an embrace. "Don't get yourself hurt."
"I promise."
He swiftly pecked the side of my cheek before sprinting off with his axe.

Cornelius drew out his musket. "Alright, let's go." As he began to jog away, I hurriedly got mine out too, trying not to trip over the mounds of dirt layered across the ground. The British had surrounded Redoubt 10 in an enormous fence to which we had to knock down in order to reach them. Once that was destroyed, as I had been told, soldiers would have to combat an abatis and cross a steep ditch. To put it short, we were going to face an obstacle course layered in the blood of our own men.

"Hurry, Sophie!" Cornelius called in a hushed tone.
"I'm going as fast as I c-!!"

He slapped his hand over my mouth, backing us up against the fence. Abruptly, he launched the bayonet from his musket to our left; a man squealed in pain, however quickly fell to the ground with a sharp wound inflicted on his forehead.

All at once, gunfire sounded and Cornelius dropped to his knees. A bullet had pierced straight through his right thigh, staining his pants a dark red. "Shit-!" I hooked my arms underneath Cornelius' and dragged him from the man. Alas, this other Redcoat started to scream, also, with the sound of a thump against the ground.

I leaned my back against the fence for security and peered around: dead.

How? I did not know.

But he was dead.

"Shit-" Cornelius cursed, his trembling hands hovering around the wound.
"O- Oh my God-" I crouched beside him and examined the bullet hole. It had penetrated deep into his skin, well out of sights. All that I could see was the proliferation of blood squirting out from his pants. "Oh my God-"

"This is... a different pain..." he contemplated, sucking in air between his teeth. "Yes... very different..."
"My G- God, we need to get you to a medic-"
"No, Sophie, don't-" He desperately clutched to my wrist.
"We must, Cornelius, you-"
"Don't, please, I beg of you."

Just the sight of the wound made me tear up. "Cornelius, you could die-"
"I'm not going to die, you f- fool..." he stammered. With no cares, he brought himself to his feet, whining at the pressure put upon his thigh.
"You're hurt, you can't carry o-"
"I'm. Fine." His face had drained white. "We'll see the stars tonight... Yes, we'll see the stars..."

He brushed past me with a painful limp, receiving his musket back. "You s- shan't tell any soul of this." Cornelius ordered; his voice had turned raspy.
"I-"
"You can't, Sophie, you can't." He cupped his bloodied hands around my face. "Swear it upon yourself."
A reluctant tear dribbled onto his hand. "I swear it."

Noticing my complexion, he pressed his forehead against mine. What concerned me was that he was more invested into my wellbeing than his own. A bullet to the leg didn't phase him. Yet a single droplet of my own tears did.

"We'll see the stars, okay, Sophie? No universe nor galaxy can divide us." The stench of metal engulfed my nostrils. "You'll be safe, my dear, you'll be safe..."

Was he delusional? It wouldn't be uncommon for someone to be so after a traumatic event such as this. The poor man spoke in fables... though I was afraid to disobey him. He needed a doctor and I would ever so urge him to find one... but I couldn't. He'd encaptured me into this pathetic fantasy of his. I could find no escape than to...

Play along.

"ROCHAMBEAU!!"

~~~~~~~~~~

Y'ALL

That's 0

That's 0.00039% of the population 😭

Thank you ever so much.

It aggravates me how much I say thank you but-

Really. This is too much. My brain can't handle it.

So!

For occasions like this, I always end up doing something.

So this time, I decided that I'd host a QnA!

I've... never successfully carried one out before but I haVE HOPE.

You are permitted to ask as many or as little questions as you would like, or none, which is fine!

These can be regarding the story, stuff about myself; anything, really.

Of course, if I find that a question is too personal or could bring about possible spoilers, I will not answer them and I apologise in advance.

So without further or do, ask away! (Or don't ask anything, if that's your jam).