A Born Leader

(Y/N POV)

Dear Miss Hamilton,

I undergo a level of moral culpability in not writing to you for so long. It is indeed a fact that I have been at my works in South Carolina and fought against slavery, as you will know. I am close to recruiting a tremendous three thousand men for the first all-black military regiment. Should we say that they survive and win their freedom, I will hereby unchain them from the captivity of their Masters.

Your endearing sister awaits me with avidity, it seems. She's alike Mr Hamilton: writes too much to my liking. Alas, our wedding is in order, though not the sort I'd anticipated. She speaks of a beach, a rather unusual setting to exchange vows. I'd envisaged a church for all to attend for if the wedding is as soon as humanely possible, a winter's beach may be unpleasant.

Yes, the winter, I'd hope. War is unpredictable, however the positions of troops are not so. They can be determined. Serving under General Nathanael Greene, I was appointed head of the intelligence department. I have operated a network of spies, tracking down British operations around Charleston. I pray that it has potential to provide for the current events in Yorktown.

Promise me, Sister, to keep yourself safe, for I'm on the edge of retrieving you from danger. If you may know, I'm in hygienic conditions with a fundamental supply of food. I will not be going anywhere distant soon. Even when I do not write, know that I am safe. I live only for you, your sister and my daughter. If one were stripped away, all would be broken.

Do not hesitate to write, I beg it. I will forever hear your call.

"Your most sincere friend, John Laurens." I finished.
"With how he writes, you'd think you were his wife." Alexander commented.
I laughed. "Emily means everything to him... though I fail to see why."
"She has a refined personality!" Lafayette reared his horse closer to ours. "Refined in such a way that a man like Laurens would feel enraptured by her."

I stroked the mane of ours- a darkened brown stallion. Alexander sat behind me with a grapple of the reins whilst I scouted the lustrous nature around us. Today, Washington was going to bring us to his "surprise"; around 50 others accompanied us. The stench of the air was briny, briny in an unexplainable fashion. A soothing one, you could say.

"Emily's idiotic." I continued.
"Sophie!" exclaimed Alexander.
"It's true, though! She has to be one of the most annoying girls I have ever encountered!"
"She is to become a woman fairly soon!" Lafayette claimed. "How long have you known her?"
"Only since she arrived, in 1777." I lied.

"What do you suppose happened to her?"
"Well..." I stroked my hair out of my face. "She lost her memory, did she not? She's never spoken a word."
"Can't recall a thing." Alexander added. "Funny how the brain works. But still she can remember her identity. Hopefully the discoveries of neuroscience will evolve with us."