Siege

!!Warning!!

°~1 Week Later~°

(Y/N POV)

I threw my hands to my sides, panting furiously. People around me began to clap. "You do this often?" I questioned Lafayette.
"No," he swiftly responded, "I'm an appalling dancer."
"Compared to me, you're magnificent." I wiped my arm over my forehead.
"Heh, tell that to Marie Antoinette..."

Rufus' house was rather large; I should've expected it, he's a man of high authority. Yet a strange one. As we walked hand-in-hand back to our table, Rufus chugged pint after pint. Women huddled in the corner, observing the men in their usual state.

"Tonight's the night, no doubt." I confirmed. "He's a mess."
"General Washington shall be pleased to hear from us." Lafayette directed my hand to a seat. "I anticipate good word."
"Good word, you think?" I checked him again. Now, he was swaying with an arm hooked around his friend's shoulder.

"Let's make it definite, shall we?" Lafayette took his glass, emptying half into mine. I raised my eyebrows, but he only shrugged and leaned back on his chair. "Drink."
"I'm not drinking all of that!"
"You must. Your breath will reek with the stench of alcohol, he'll certainly take a liking to it."
"But... All of it?"

"Of course, you're not a heavy drinker. This will only make you mildly inebriated to assure you can interact with him. Trust me, mon ami."
"I do, but..." I stared into the whirlpool, reminding myself of the day I was forced to drink in the camp to hide my identity. "Ugh, cover me."

I tackled the glass and drew my head to the side. It would be improper for a woman to start guzzling a drink all at once, especially alcohol. Lafayette stood up and towered over me. "Take your t-"
"I've got this." Regret consumed me the instant that the glass touched my lips. I was aware of how strong it was, but to have all in one was something. It felt like fuel was being poured into your mouth continuously.

Holding the urge to vomit, I took my last drop and smacked the glass onto the table. Instantly, I was feeling nauseous. My hands trembled as my vision rocked back and forth. "...Are you alright?" Lafayette asked. He supported my hunched back.
"Yes." I exhaled. "I'm getting up."

I cautiously pattered my feet against the floor. Lafayette grasped my arm to prevent me from falling onto my face. With the surge of fearlessness, I tugged my away. "I've got this." I repeated. I strode away from him, raising my hand up courageously. Even if the effects hadn't fully settled in yet, they were bound to soon.

Rufus recognised me, though did not rise from his seat. "Mrs Hurst!" he exclaimed. And abruptly, the confidence vanished. The men stared straight at me. "Or should I say, Olivia." They snickered at him.
"Taking another man's wife, are we, Monroe?" one teased. At that same time, he kissed a woman near to him on the cheek.
"Aye, better not get carried away with 'er, ey?" another poked fun at him.

Rufus shoved the man from his chair roguishly. He patted it, offering it over to me. Usually, I would refuse and allow the man his seat. Yet, I had to take my chance. I strutted past him and perched myself beside Rufus. He scooted closer towards me, weaving his hand around my waist.

"How much do you bet that Mr Monroe here won't make an escape back to London with her?" a more formal man muttered, though he too was drunk and the whole table could hear him.
"Aye, Rufus!" -The man on the floor stood- "Pretty lady that, like."

He gripped his hand tighter on my side. I winced quietly. "Watch your tongue, Smith, she's mine."

Hah, no.