Wounded

!!Warning!!

°~15 Years Earlier, 1765~°

(??? POV)

We'd spoken for months by now. At this point, I guess you could say that we were best friends. He never gave up a chance to help me and mama with supplies, and he'd smuggle food from his family just for our sake. Morally, it was wrong, but I couldn't ask for anything more.

We were best friends.

I strayed alone down an alley, waiting for his arrival. Apart from the chattering of the outside world, the sounds of my stomach rumbling echoed across the walls. I'd left all of our food to mama, whilst my brother was out making a living for himself. We didn't care about each other much; he was too self-centered to even acknowledge my existence.

I gazed up at the brick wall before me, recognising the one poster that was scattered all across town:

The Revolutionary War. I'd only heard of it through the newspaper, and I'd wish to join it some day. That is, if it were ongoing as I come age. I'm still just a rat pestering these infected streets.

Suddenly, I saw him poke his head around the corner of the alleyway. Checking all was clear, he scuttled over to me with a loaf of bread. "Here. It's all I could get before papa caught me." I snatched the loaf away from him, stuffing my mouth greedily.

I wiped my mouth onto my shirt once it was gone. "S- Sorry..." I apologised.
"It's alright. I would've done the same." he joked. I smiled with him, enjoying his company. He slouched onto the wall, sliding down to the floor. I sat next to him, staring back up at that poster.

"Reckon we'll be there one day?" I asked him, pointing at the poster.
"I hope not." he sighed. "We've got a whole life ahead of us."
"What? Catching fish? Don't you want some... adventure?" I questioned enthusiastically. "We could be a team!"
"Heh, yeah." he gave in, "Me and you, fighting alongside as we slay the bad guys!"

We laughed together playfully, never wanting to let go. "You're like... the brother I never had." he contemplated.

I froze.

He...

He liked me.

As if I were his family.

Without thinking, I spat in my hand, a tradition my brother introduced to me many years ago. I held it out to him, but he glared in confusion. "...What?"
"It's a bond." I stated, "A bond that can never be broken. We'll officially be brothers. Forever."
He shrugged, spitting in his hand also. We clasped them both together, marking our brotherhood once and for all.

"T--"
"???, what are you doing here?!!" My unfortunately biological brother spat, discovering us down the alley.
"I was... I was just talking with my friend!" I implored.
"No, you shouldn't be here, and you know that!!" He tugged at the back of my shirt, hauling me up to my feet.