Charlie Miller

(Y/N POV)

"Y/N! Dinner!" Emily called from downstairs.
"Be right there!" I slipped the letter into an envelope, addressing it to the dame. Passing down the stairs, I put the letter into the mailbox outside, hoping that it'd be delivered as soon as possible. On entering the kitchen, the table was neatly set out, with three plates of dinner. Potatoes and rice, by the looks of things. Interesting combination.

I sat at the seat not in use, next to Emily and opposite of Alexander. He smiled at me, clasping his hands together to begin our dinner prayer.

(A/N Alexander was a Christian, so I apologise if you support a different religion. I'm an Atheist and I spent 8 years at a Catholic school lol)

"Bless us, O God." Emily began, "Bless our food and our drink. Since you redeemed us so dearly and delivered us from evil, as you gave us a share in this food so may you give us a share in eternal life." Just as we prepared for an 'Amen', she continued. "Oh, and watch over my family for me. That'd be greatly appreciated."
"Emily..."
"Alright! Amen." Emily carried on from Alexander.
"Amen." the two of us returned in unison.

Emily avariciously dug into her food, stuffing her mouth with rice. "Careful there, Emily." Alexander lectured.
"Sorry!" she mumbled with her mouth full.
"Tell me: are you planning on getting a job anytime soon?" he asked her.
She gulped down her food, only taking in a handful more. "Nope!"
"Huh... I'm sure Y/N could be doing with your company, wouldn't that be nice?"

They both stared at me expectantly. "Oh, yeah, sure." I answered, "Though I really wouldn't recommend it."
"Well, I'll make a deal with you, Emily." -He put down his knife and fork- "Once I'm gone by dawn tomorrow, you have a look around the factory with your sister. You never know, you may find it quite appealing."

Emily choked on her food, beating at her chest and covering her mouth. I tensed nervously, realising that I wasn't even going to show up to work tomorrow. "S- Sorry..." she apologised, continuing on with the meal.
"It's alright." he responded, trying to process what he did wrong.

"Y/N, why don't you take that wig off? I know how much it irritates you." I felt the top of my head, discerning the wig. What was I supposed to do? I couldn't just take it off!
"No, no, it's fine. It's quite comfortable, actually." I lied.
"Are you sure? You never keep it on, are you feeling alright?"
"I- I'm feeling fine..." I felt as my face heated up drastically, considering the thought that my life could be at stake very soon.
"You're turning red, Y/N, take it off!!"

Emily stood up in my defence, grabbing my feeble arms. "She needs some rest." She roughly escorted me to our bedroom, slamming the door. I chucked the wig on to my bed, getting to grips with whatever I was doing. "That was close!" Emily sighed, "Next thing you know, that wig would've been ripped straight off of your head!"
"I... I can't do this anymore, Emily..." I admitted.
"Y-- What?"
"I can't do it. Why didn't I just decide to stay here?"
"I dunno. Y/N, this whole war thing? It's almost like a soul instinct to you, like you were made for this. So I'm not backing down on it now, and neither are you."

I hesitantly nodded, gripping the edge of the bed. "Now let's practice your manly voice!" she insisted.
"...Manly voice?"
"Yeah! Remember the movie Mulan? She had to put on a voice!"
"And a fake name..."
"We'll deal with that later. Now, give me your best man voice!"

I raised my eyebrows at her question, tightening my throat. "Uhhhhhhhhh." I grunted deeply.
"Oh, you can go deeper than that!"
"Uhhhhhhhhhh." I murmured again.
"Y/N, at least try--!"
"UHHHHHHHHHH!!" I yelled out loud. "Whoops... That was, uh... loud..."
"It was fantastic!" she applauded, "Now for the name of this handsome fellow..."

"What about Derreck?" Emily asked.
"Ugh, no."
"Kane?"
"No."
"George!"
"No! Why not something simple, like--"
"Charlie!!" she pronounced. "Charlie... Charlie Miller!!"
"Sure, Charlie Miller it is." I accepted bluntly.

"Well, get some sleep, because you'll need to be awake super early."
"And what will you tell Alexander?" I quizzed.
"I'll tell him you feel ill, and it's best if you're just left to yourself."
I walked up to the closet, unravelling my nightgown. "Sure."

Emily opened the door, going to shut it. "Oh, and Emily?"
"Yeah?" she questioned.
"...Thank you. Without you, none of this would be possible."
She tried to hide her smile, but I slightly saw the corner of her mouth curl up. "Don't mention it."

The door closed, and I was silenced to the tranquillity of the bedroom. I took another peek at my bed, envisaging the journey that I'd have to set out on by tomorrow. It would either pass as a crossdresser, living amongst all of the other soldiers, or returned back home, discovered by Alexander. I feared both... but I felt ready. Ready for this to happen.

I might even change history.

~

The arena was dark; nothing could be seen throughout the abyss. I stared into the endless void, feeling around the warm air. A consumption of greed and turmoil smote the land, filling it entirely with grief.

Wait.

This was strangely familiar.

Wasn't I here a few years ago?

From the shadows appeared two sources of light... honesty and jealousy. Yes, this is the same dream I'd had 3 years ago! However, the lights were now surrounded by two shades of misty fog engulfing them. Honesty's fog vibrated softly, whereas jealousy's fog stood strong. I longed only to reach out, to see what these entities were, but my curiosity was overruled by the fact that I couldn't move at all.

Once again, honesty shone the brightest among the two, yet jealousy grew impatient. With the addition of the fog, for honesty, it appeared to tremble, though acting loyal. The mumbled noises outbroke, but I still couldn't understand a word of its preaching.

The final hum was delivered. I braced myself for the impact of light into my eyes, but on top of that was a piercing squeal. It shot its way through my eardrums, almost deafening me. The fog from honesty collapsed to the ground, the light vanishing. Unlike last time, jealousy sure did glimmer stronger, but the mist quivered with a pang of overwhelming guilt. Like it hasn't expected this to happen. I furrowed my eyebrows, watching jealousy dissolve to its last breath...

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

We hit 100 votes! Thank you all so much!