Someone Else We Need...

°~3 Weeks Later

(Lafayette POV)

I shot the nearest Redcoat straight through the head, leaping back onto my horse for retreat. We were outnumbered, with no tactical plan other than to attack the British. Washington hadn't a clue.

John was back to South Carolina, Hercules in London, and Alexander in New York with his wife. He'd informed me that she was sick and in need of intensive care. I wished her the best.

Charles Lee had temporarily stepped down from his service after he'd lost to a duel with John. Taught the ass a lesson, I suppose: to never mess with fire. John had every right for his actions; Lee was so horrific that I was ordered to take lead mid-battle. That a young woman was complied to risk her life. If I could challenge him, I would. Alas, my reputation would be ruined.

On the subject of Sophie, things because much duller without her. Approximately a year ago, 'Charlie Miller' joined us in the war. By now he'd have saved John, joined us on The Sullivan Expedition and organised plans for The Battle of Monmouth.

If it were not for her, we would have lost that day.

I rode to the left side of General Washington and Lieutenant General Rochambeau. I'd recently made a voyage to France, to which my French allies decided to join us in the war. Rochambeau was a righteous man, intrigued by Washington and inclined to win the war with him.

Yet our ride to camp was not for a couple of miles. We'd all became lifeless, for every battle we'd drawn or lost. Men vanished from camp on their own accord, taking their families with them. Training was no use as the British were experienced compared to our battalions. Nevertheless, the French assured that things would become better for us.

Under an hour and we were back. An hour of silence that flew by like a vulture taking flight. A vulture tormenting us from above. I rested my horse with the others, straightening my jacket professionally. I flinched as a lady, about her early 20s, clutched to my arm.

"Did we win?!" she asked desperately. "Did we?!" I'd seen her before. She had joined us near the end of February: a pretty girl she was. It was a tragedy how thin she had become, as her bones sprawled about the delicate skin of her arms.

But I didn't speak. I caressed my hand over her shoulder in consolation. Serenely, I slipped away from her grasp, noticing Washington order the Generals to his tent. Rochambeau appeared from the clutter of horses and shoved a hand into his pocket.

"It's a misfortune how this place has become..." he murmured in French. "I would have been a fool for refusing your persuasion to come here."
"It is alike a barren prison. Soldiers have no free will, and conditions are so revolting that many die before they even reach the fight."
"Yes... General Washington has explained." We stopped at the entrance. "I swear to you, sir, that my men and I will assist."
"I trust in you."

Rochambeau allowed me through first; Generals sat around the table, with aide-de-camps surrounding them. A seat was left beside Washington, which he gladly offered out to me. Rochambeau took another on the opposite side.

Washington rubbed his forehead stressfully. "The events which took place today were... a hapless disaster." he admitted. "We need strategies."
"But we don't have strategies!" Lieutenant Colonel David Humphreys exclaimed. "One of our only battles that were a major success was Monmouth!"

...

"No, these soldiers are just hopeless!" Wilson protested. "They won't learn! And they're all under the influence of retreat! They'll never become men if they don't stand up for themselves!!"
"It's not the people, it's the environment!" Dr David Cobb intruded. "There's not enough food to supply, careless hygiene, terminal disease-!"

"Enough!!" Washington ordered. "That's... That's enough. General Lafayette?" -My ears perked- "Do you have anything to say?"

...

"...Lieutenant Colonel Humphreys is right. Consider that battle, General, and how joyous we became as an outcome. This was back when our strategies were precise. And do you remember who organised it, Sir?"
"...Charlie Miller." Washington mumbled. The aide-de-camps scoffed on the name.
"Charlie Miller." I repeated. "Ever since Miller's leave, we were led to failure-"

"What are you implying, Lafayette?" Wilson demanded. "You want that girl back into the war?"
"She was exceptional compared with the others-"
"She's a woman!"
"And a witty one, too! General, without her, Lieutenant Colonel Laurens and the other 30 prisoners or so may have been dead by now. Her skill was what brought her to the light!" I turned to Washington. "Even you, Sir, sought her capable of being your right hand man! Your most trusted soldier beside Lieutenant Colonel Hamilton."

"You want to bring a woman into war?" a man questioned.
"Am... Am I missing something here...?" Rochambeau wondered, confused.
"Even Hamilton, Sir, Hamilton. He knows what to do in a trench! No one has more resilience than he!" I objected.

"To bring a woman into war is against all socials laws of... of patriarchy!" Washington spoke.
"But do you want the freedom of your country, Sir? Our country?" I traced the table with my finger. "Miss and Mr Hamilton are precisely what this war needs! Two individually tough people to force us into success!"

The tent argued, shouting curses towards me. "ENOUGH!!" Washington screamed. Everyone backed down, but their eyebrows were furrowed. "IF we were to accept Miss Hamilton back into our establishment... What could she do?" People tried disrupting again, but Washington sentenced them to silence.
"That's your decision, Sir. For her to fight would be a risk, and I wouldn't be prepared to take it so far. Alas, in terms of tactics to end this war, she can provide. Disguise as Charlie Miller until this is over, whilst you guarantee that Hamilton takes the lead of future battle...

...Do you want to fight for your land back, Sir?"

"...I need my right hand men back."

~~~~~~~~~~

WHOOOOOOOOOOP!!

Also the fact that we had to analyse what a door signified in English yesterday.

A door.