Apple Trees

(Y/N POV)

°~1 Week Later~°

Dear Mrs Olivia Hurst,

I found myself heedful of your enquiry into Mr Fernández's health. I joined him for an examination on the evening of July 31st. He manifested no reluctance throughout and remained a composed manner. His complexion was noticeably pale, however he was consistent in his vigilance.

At the inception of my examination, I asked of how he was feeling that day. He spoke, "Alive. My days no longer weary me; I feel as though I am recuperating." For a moment he waited, but commenced. "All that troubles me now is Miss Hamilton. I write daily." I pondered if you fortunately wrote back, to which he replied, "Yes."

For further simple interrogations, he was persistent. We know little of this disease thus far, therefore I am unaware of its effect on the brain. Alas, it does not appear a neurological disease. It rather disturbs physical activity than mental.

I executed two tests on Mr Fernández's ability to hold his breath for a period of time, followed by his resting heart beat. I encouraged him to inhale three breaths, and on the third to hold. He maintained this for 21 seconds until he gasped. The average period of time is 30 seconds, nevertheless, his previous record was a mere 16 seconds. He is showing signs of a slow improvement.

We finally persisted in the measurement of his resting heart rate. It measured at 86 beats per minute, slightly above the average of the maximum 81 for his age. Once more, he exceeded the 90 beats per minute from his previous test.

To conclude, Mrs Hurst, I believe that it is probable to say that Mr Fernández will make an exceptional recovery. If anything shall happen, which I have doubts it will, you will be the first to know. It is distinct that he cares for you dearly. Assuming you would wish to marry someday (that is, if your husband departs), he would be withdrawn from poverty. Not to mention that your children would be exceedingly graceful.

I hope to hear from you again.

Your friend and humble servant,

- David Hosack

~

With proof from the trusted Doctor himself, I was overjoyed I would return to a healthy Charles. Not entirely healthy, I'd predict, but the best he'd been since he arrived on that ship. He'd be rid of his pain to become the man he'd dreamed of being all these years.

I couldn't wait.

So far, I hadn't taken responsibility for anything here. I obeyed Lafayette's will to manage the house, although we did take casual walks to the park a few times. I could only stay by his side, however. The city was a dangerous place, filled mostly by drunks. But I couldn't care. I was once a soldier, wasn't I?

I interrupted Lafayette's reading of the local newspaper and barged through the living room door. He glanced aside at me. "Yes?"
"Lafayette, I'm going out." I started confidentally.
"Uh, no."
"Excuse me?"
"No. You're too young to be wandering about."

"Oh, how I pity your daughter! What on earth will she do once she comes of age?" I tried to persuade him through mockery, placing my hands on my hips.
"She will marry a wealthy husband and be safe within his hands!"
"And she cannot roam free on her own accord?"
"That's the decision of her husband!"

I sat beside him. "But I'm your wife!"
"And I say no!"
I grunted. "I disguised as a man, joined a war, saved 30 soldiers, became George Washington's aide-de-camp, killed a few people and got myself shot in the chest to save my uncle. I'm going out."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine. But you must come back within the hour."
"I will!" I scuttled over to the coat rail. Upon lifting my coat up, I found a small basket underneath it. "I'll even pick apples!!" I exclaimed.
He picked up the newspaper. "Oui."

~

Hooking the basket over my arm, I scouted the park for an apple tree. Or just... anything I could collect as a souvenir. Even if it was a rock. The river flowed peacefully, but upon inspection, it had a thick layer of waste piled at its edges. Even the geese turned their noses up at it. I scoffed, hunting for apples again.

I leaned up against an oak tree and searched. In the early months of August, the weather was certainly different here. It wasn't scorching hot, nor bitterly cold. It was a perfect temperate for a day such as this.

I pushed myself away from the tree. "Miss Olivia!" a familiar voice called from above.
I peered up into the tree, discerning Eric himself weaved between the branches. "Eric!" He stood from the branch he was perched on, grappling another above his head.

"What are you doing here?" he wondered.
"What are you doing up there?" I mimicked.
"I come here often. The view is breathtaking." -He smiled- "Care to join me?"
"You think I'm climbing up there?"

Eric shrugged. "Alright. I'll come to you, then."
He cocked his leg around the side of the tree. "Are you sure you can get down?" I asked from concern. I followed him as he manoeuvred around the tree.
"I was a boisterous and venturesome child, Miss. Climbing is a skill of mine."

Eric let go of the branch and skidded down the tree. He clung onto another and swung himself to the ground. He swiftly brushed himself down as I resolved in front of him. "Are you alright?" I asked.
"I'm fine, Miss, don't you worry." he reassured. "...What's that you've got with you?" He gestured at my basket.

"Oh! I was actually out here to pick some apples for supper. Would you know where I could find an apple tree?"
Eric looked around. "It would be difficult to find one out here, for you're not the only woman with that idea. Perhaps if you took a stroll down the bank, you will soon set your eyes upon one."
I nodded. "Thank you."

Turning to walk away, Eric continued. "If I may, Miss!"
"Yes?"
"Could I take a stroll with you? It seems that your husband is not present and I would dislike the idea of you being alone at these hours."
From the utter sympathy I felt for his kindness, I accepted.

"Of course."