That Escalated Quickly...

!!Warning!!

(Alexander POV)

"Miss, the court is ready for you." A man cocked his head around the main doors. Y/N nodded to him; I could see the sudden look of horror in her eyes. If this was the last time we were really going to meet, then I had to calm her nerves. Besides, she could later regret telling me about her origins and fall into a panic.
"Hey." I grabbed her shoulder, "Your secret's safe with me." I shared her a wink, turning to leave.

Despite the fact that I pretended to leave, I had a backup plan. Just before we left, Washington informed me that a court was going to interrogate her, which will therefore make the majority of the crowd sceptical of Y/N. If our previous plan succeeds, she'll be rehomed into a loving family. If not, and the probability is much higher, then another option is available for her...

Instead of exiting the court, I waited behind a wall for Y/N to go in. And, soon enough, I heard the doors open. Good- she was following through with confidence. I adjusted the collar to my shirt, and though I didn't appear very professional, it was as most fancy outfit I had.

I sneaked up behind the doors, gently placing my ear against it. "Sophie, umm..." C'mon, kid, think quick! "...Hamilton." As if that wasn't going to make them suspicious. I facepalmed myself, letting it slide and hoping for a more positive outcome throughout.

The judge asked where she came from, and thankfully, she'd gone with the plan. It was apparent that she wasn't fairly trained with literature, although in her time, it may have been different. I noted down at the back of my mind that that was something we needed to work on.

"And how is it that you ended up in New York?" Hold on, this wasn't the plan. If the court were informed of her appearance that day then they'd know that she wasn't discovered in New York at all! Were they really testing her for lies?

"Uhhhhhhhh I got lost." Y/N mumbled. Oh dear. I started fidgeting with my hands anxiously. If she didn't think of a solution soon then the outcome wouldn't be so pleasant.

I eagerly paid attention to her tragic tale, though I was slowly losing ambition. She wasn't going to get through this. The only person who can redeem her now is me--

"Hey!" a guard exclaimed to me, "What're you doing back here?"
"My deepest apologies, good sir, but I am purely awaiting the client of this court for their release." I replied.
"Who's saying they're going to be?" the guard questioned. Instantly after his words, from inside the court, I could hear the judge:

"You shall be sent to the workhouse until word is heard of your mother. Now, may I ask of her name?"

Shit. She had no chance now. I turned back to the guard; it was now or never.

"Sir?" the guard said suspiciously. My hands bolted to the handles of the doors, tugging them open violently as the guard raced towards me.

(Y/N POV)

"Stop! Stop the court!!" A voice rang from behind me.
"Alexander?!" I eyed him as a guard tried tackling him to the ground.
"Mr Hamilton!" the judge proclaimed, pounding his hands against his desk as he stood up. Whispers dissolved among the crowd.
"Guard, let him go." The guard rudely shoved Alexander aside, making him stumble over slightly.

I tried standing up taller to attract his attention, which indeed I did. He smiled reassuringly. "Your honour, this child is in no need of interrogation!" Alexander declared.
"Young man, I'm the one hosting this court!" the judge argued back.
"And I'm the one who swore down to God that I would protect her!" Alexander protested. "Your honour, when her father, my BROTHER, passed on to the other side, I vowed that I would shelter her in my own arms!"

Oh my-- This guy was persuasive. He'd be an impressive actor, I'll tell you that much! He turned to face me, cupping his hands together in 'sorrow'. "Y/N your... The camp was attacked. I'm afraid that your mother and siblings did not make it." Everyone gasped, peering at me to inspect my reaction. I pretended to act shocked at the news, covering my hands upon my face.

"Mr Hamilton, I--"
"Say no more, your honour." Alexander interrupted, "I simply ask that I take my brother's child into my care. It's the least I can do for a poor orphan such as herself."

The judge glanced down at me, trying to empathise. Alas, only sympathy could be withdrawn from his heart. He sighed reluctantly, scrumpling up the piece of paper he'd been working on. "Very well, Mr Hamilton. If it is your wish among the Lord to adopt the orphan then you must follow his word." the judge concluded.
"Thank you kindly, your honour!" Alexander stated.
"We will have the adoption papers to your address as soon as possible. In the meantime, she's yours." Was it seriously that easy? Then again, considering the number of children dying in the streets at this time, they couldn't risk another one.

I was free to leave, treading towards Alexander. Still pretending, he lovingly took me into his arms, hugging me like there was no tomorrow.

I've gotta admit, this is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me.

Not once in my life did I consider being adopted by Alexander Hamilton.

Like... okay then?

We led each other out through the main doors from which we'd entered, continuing outside. I pulled away from him. "What the heck was that?!" I screeched.
"Instead you should be thanking me for saving you from hard labour for the rest of your life." Alexander lectured.
"I'm sorry but... My uncle? Seriously?"
"There's no better way I could've done it."

We stood together in silence for what felt like hours, until Alexander finally responded. "So. Guess you'll be staying with me from now on."
"I guess so..." I replied, fiddling with the ends of my blazer. I still had my school uniform on, as Alexander obviously didn't have any spare dresses. Meh, it didn't bother me. I wasn't one for dresses, anyway.

"C'mon, we'll discuss this back at home."