Saving... Just About Everyone

(Y/N POV)

"...Hercules? Lafayette?"

Lafayette sprinted over to John, untying him from his restraints almost immediately. His face was covered in bruises, dirt smudged all over his clothes. They each wore a set of white shirts and breeches, though the whiteness was almost impossible to detect at this point. Some even had patches of blood stained on their clothing, drying out with their wounded and rotting flesh.

The two pulled each other into a friendly hug, one that could last a thousand years. Hercules steadily made his way over, sharing the hug between the three of them. I smiled at their joyfulness: for once in my life, I felt that I was doing something right. I was helping others, rather than helping myself. I could feel tears whelming up in my eyes, but I blinked them away before they could spill.

"Alright, enough of him, what about us?" a grouchy man asked, dried blood staining his right arm.
"Right, yeah, we're coming round to that." I informed him, shutting the door behind us to ensure nobody peeked inside.
"Good. If you wait any longer, we'll be dead before you can even untie us."

"I'm so happy to see you guys..." John whimpered, emotion building up in his voice.
"Us too, mon ami." Lafayette responded, patting John's shoulder supportively. "In the meantime, we'll need some help untying this bunch."
"Oh c'mom, get a move on with it!"
"Shut your trap, Angus!" John demanded to the grouchy man from before, who was still sighing with irritation.

The first soldier I came to deemed way too young to be in the military, at the very least 14-15. I untied the rope from his wrists, watching as huge gapes of red were marked around them. He massaged his wrists lovingly, cherishing his new sense of freedom. "Thank you." he whispered beneath his breath, though barely as he didn't appear to have much breath left in him.
"You're welcome."

Once everyone was released, they instantly started murmuring to each other, some even sharing hugs. Quite a few looked at us suspiciously, recognising the enemy uniform we were wearing. "Alright, alright! Settle down, everyone!" I shouted out in an attempt to catch their attention.

Nobody heard me.

Lafayette noticed my plee, cupping his hands around his mouth. "SHUT UP!!" Lafayette screamed, making the entire building jolt to a stop. He glanced at me expectantly, waiting for me to give orders.
"O- Okay, umm..." I clasped my hands together, letting off a fake smile. "...We're gonna get you all out of here."
"How?" Angus questioned, sending everyone into an eruption of roars again.

"DIDN'T YOU HEAR WHAT I JUST SAID??!" Lafayette demanded, quieting them down once again.
"No, no, it's a valid question. We'll... erm..." I looked at Hercules, who so far was the one who had carried us through this.
"We'll sneak out." Hercules concluded.
"And expect them not to see us?" another man questioned.
"They think we're one of them. As long as we persuade them that we're taking you all out for a march, then we can go forth and smuggle you all out of here."

"Where are you taking us to?" asked yet another.
"General George Washington's camp." An echo of amazement spread from person to person.
"Well what are we waiting for?! Let's go!" They all automatically threw themselves at the door, eager to get out.
"Wait, wait, wait!" Lafayette exclaimed, waving his arms around. "You must get into an orderly line." The soldiers stared in confusion. "...You know, because of the march."

Me, John, Lafayette and Hercules huddled together whilst the others formed a line. "Nicely done, Colonel Mulligan!" John complimented jokingly. Hercules snickered proudly, holding his hands behind his back.
"Hey, let's not forget who the General is here!" Lafayette reminded, causing us all to laugh.
"Okay. You're in charge of orders, Hercules is in charge of getting us the hell out of here before we're spotted." I concluded.
"What about you?" Hercules interrogated me.
"I'll just... make sure we're going the right way."

Before we knew it, Lafayette was skipping around with excitement whilst John took his place at the front of the line. "Alright, listen up! You are to do everything we tell you to, anyone who fails to achieve that will likely get us all killed, do you understand?" Lafayette proclaimed.
"Yes, sir!" the soldiers replied back fiercely.
Lafayette hopped up and down, amused at the fact that people were obeying his every order. "Bien! Now let's go kick some British ass!!" He punched his hand into the air, Hercules lowering it in embarrassment.

I carefully opened the door, causing everyone to fall quiet. The moon was now rising beyond the clouds, replacing the sun. I scouted the area for guards: only the two who were patrolling the camp remained, staring out towards the carriage. Thankfully, though, it was almost impossible to spot, providing a great opportunity for our escape. "There's 32 of 'em, 35 if you include us." Hercules informed, catching up to me. "That carriage can fit a maximum of 20, meaning 12 must go by horseback."
"And where are we finding those?" I asked.

He pointed to a stable set up behind the straw building. "We'll only need three. Two people can each share a horse, as well as our own."
"Good thinking!" I complimented.
"I'll go ahead and ready those. In the meantime, you lead them past the guards."
"Me?! But how am I supposed to persuade them, that's your job!!"
Hercules shrugged, walking backwards towards the stable. "You're the Captain here!"

I sighed nervously, a shiver being sent down my spine as I lead them forward. How could he have put me, the new recruit, in charge of a group of men? If only he'd have known who I really was, there is no way anyone would've trusted me with this.

No... C'mon, Y/N, you've got this. You were the one who decided to join this stupid war in the first place, despite the fact that you already knew the outcome. You voluntarily risked your life to participate and fight for your home, your country. You were going to make Alexander proud, even if he had no idea that it was you all along. You're going to outlive a lie that may not ever be told; in fact, several lives about who you really were. Y/N L/N, Sophie Hamilton, Charlie Miller: nobody will ever know.

Ever.

~~~~~~~~~~

Can I just say that I named one of the character's Angus in honour of horizonsofhope 's amazing fanfiction: Hamfam. Please go and check it out if you're interested, as it is a truly outstanding story to read.