The Delaware River

My S̶o̶p̶h Y/N,

In the letter I received from you a week or so ago, I recognised your significant change of tone. Not only do you address yourself by the name of "Y/N L/N", but the reconsider the possibilities of leaving this world. Do you not withdraw into a conscious of survival, rather than one of adventure leading to feasible death? These terrible questions have haunted me, and I plead only for your return some day.

Truth be told, with the exceptions of my sister, you are the one who keeps me alive to this day. I long for the sense of being inundated by your voice, and it unnerves me that I may never listen to it again. Though, your use of words in this phrase intrigues me the most. "I cannot find it tolerable to gain affections for your endearing personality." If it is that I am a fool, or beliefs that I could never compete against all of the other gentlemen in this new world, then I respect your opinion completely.

If you choose so, an explanation towards "Y/N L/N" could prove useful, as your sister denies all of my queries. Something about it makes me uneasy, and I suppose it would be an advantage if the both of us felt serene and trusted. As quoted by W. Shakespeare, "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."

To the hope that we both get to see the light of another day.

- C. Fernández

(Y/N POV)

I'd read it tens of hundreds of thousands of times by now. I really wasn't expecting a reply from him, not for months. Looks like he'd mustered up the courage.

"You've been staring at that thing for hours!" Lafayette reminded, directing his horse alongside me to catch my attention better. "A love letter, is it not~?" he teased, leaning over to get a glimpse.
I snatched it away from his eyesight, scrumpling it into my pocket. "No, of course not!" I protested, making my horse trot faster to get away from him.

It did not work, as expected. He too followed along, like it were some kind of game. "C'mon, mon ami, we both saw that helpless look stuck on your face. Isn't that so, Hercules?"
"Hmm? Oh, sure." Hercules answered, uninterested in our conversation. I'd forced Lafayette to hand the map over to Hercules, despite him being a General. He could pinpoint where we were going, he just couldn't figure out how to get there. Hercules, on the over hand, solved it far more easier.

I was in charge of keeping track of time. We'd stopped for a couple of short breaks: for the horses to regain their stamina and for us to have a few snacks. So hopefully, we should've taken less time than predicted. I took out the pocket watch: "4pm." I read aloud.
"8 hours... Mulligan, where are we?" Lafayette asked, tilting his head.
"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was your slave now!" Hercules rolled his eyes, scouting the map. "We're... Wow, the camp's around 30 minutes from here."

I stared out to the river bank ahead of us- the Delaware. Just a short way down would be the camp, for we had chosen to approach from the side. "I'll race you." Lafayette challenged.
"Okay first off, where even to? Second off, I can barely control this thing!" I ranted.
"Okay first off, to the edge of the bank. Second off, all yours needs is a bit of encouragement!"
"Lafayette don't you dare--" He slapped my horse, causing it to bolt off.

Lafayette instantaneously raced ahead of me, mocking me with a sly smirk. "Oh I see how it is!" I exclaimed. I sat up on the horse, hitting the reins and making it run faster. Hercules stayed put at the back, trudging along as usual. I reached Lafayette, sharing a victorious wave as I passed. I threw my head back in laughter as his face grew irritated; he violently whipped the reins, but his horse didn't speed up.

"Who's the General now, Monsieur?!" I teased, unwilling to shape the glee from my face. I concentrated my focus back forward, pers-- "WOAH WOAH WOAH!!" I clutched the reins, pulling them backwards forcefully. The horse slowed, almost slipping from the ledge and straight into the water. It backed up onto the ground fearfully.
"That would still be me, merci beaucoup." Lafayette taunted successfully, jumping off of his horse. "You almost got yourself killed."
"Of course not, I was merely showing off my... amazing horse riding skills!" I joked.

"...Mmhm. Monsieur Mulligan! Get your lazy ass over here!" Lafayette called out.
"Unlike you two, I don't want to attract any redcoats from screaming like a lunatic!" Hercules, ironically, screamed back.
"He started it!!" Lafayette pointed at me, and I crossed my arms.
"Psh, as if I get the blame."

I released the saddle from my horse, as from here we'd be making it on foot. I took out a flask of water, pouring some into a bowl for the horses to drink. It was scorching outside, our heads all layered in sweat. I wiped it off, directing my horse over for Hercules to climb off of his. "We should wait here until the sun sets, we can make our move at dusk." Hercules concluded.
"So... Wait, what was the plan again?" I questioned, taking a seat on the grass.
"If we smuggle ourselves in, disguised at redcoats, then they'll think we're one of them. From there, we can find out where they're keeping John and the others."

"And what about your accent?" I responded to Lafayette, "Y'know, because you're French and all. Won't they be suspicious?"
"Just make sure to keep your mouth shut." Hercules told him.
"That's practically impossible for me, you know that, mon ami." he laughed. "But oui, I'll cover the lowest rank from us all."

(Alexander POV)

I sat up against the rock, massaging my temples to relieve myself from the heat. Where could they have gone? It had been hours, and so far nothing. It wasn't even like I could turn back now, as Washington was bound to be far. I looked up into the blue abyss, hoping for some motivation. I... I couldn't back down now. I had to show Washington that I was capable of leading a group of men, and that I wasn't just meant to write.

I had to find them.

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

It's 1am why am I still here hhhhhhhh