Hangover

°~6 Weeks Later~°

°~August 26th, 1780~°

(Y/N POV)

"Ughhh..." I put my hand against my forehead as I reluctantly awoke from my slumber.
"Good morning, Mr Miller." Cornelius greeted, casually curled up in the corner of the tent reading a book.
"My head..." I grunted. "My head is killing me..."
"Then perhaps you shouldn't have stayed up so late last night." he said.
"What? What do you mean...?"

°~8 Hours Earlier~°

"Don't be such a bore, mon ami: drink!" Lafayette implored, wrapping his arm around my neck.
"I've already had enough, Laf, I'm good."
"Aww, is Charlie Miller too scared~?" Hercules teased, hicupping seconds after.
"No! I'd just find it irrational if I continued to drink and become wasted, like you guys!"

John stumbled over, tossing me a bottle of whiskey. "Your fair share, m'lady."
"John, not now!" I warned him quickly.
"What? You're my bestestest friend in the whooole wide world! All you need to do is drink!" he implored.
"John you're drunk."

"Oui, Madmoizelle Miller, chug it!!" Lafayette improvised from John.
"Missy Miller, too afraid to have a drink with her friends!" Hercules added on.
"For your preference, I'm not a woman, so stop calling me that." I lied, correcting them.
"Wait yes y--" I held John's mouth shut.

"As long as you don't drink that, you'll forever be titled Madmoizelle Miller, and the entire camp will know!" Lafayette laughed, trying not to collapse onto the floor.

God, they were never going to outlive this.

I had to do something.

I growled, shakily getting up onto the bench. I held the bottle proudly in the air, before placing it into my mouth and chugging it all down. At once, the liquid tasted foul, but I had to do this. I was at the last drop before I knew it, letting the bottle smash onto the floor as I fell into a daze. I punched both of my arms towards the sky, feeling like I'd won an Olympic gold medal.

What seemed like thousands of people cheered, and I was sucked into an illusion. An illusion of a stage, with rows after rows after rows of people preaching my name. "Y/N! Y/N! Y/N!"

I felt alive.

Nothing could bring me down.

"NOW LET'S GET SMASHED!!" I stepped forward towards my crowd, but reality soon hit me again. My foot slipped off of the bench, my dillusional head hitting the ground.

°~Present~°

"Wow." I sighed.
"Yeah. You were wiped clean out." Cornelius mentioned.
"Are the others alright?"
"They were too drunk to even help themselves. But yes, I suppose. You might want to go and visit Mr Laurens."
"Why?" I asked.
"There's never always an answer, Mr Miller. I only know that I have good feelings for this."

~

"Where are you taking me?" I giggled at John.
"I thought I'd teach you something new for today." John answered.
"Teach me? Are you joking?"
"Trust me, it'll be fun!"

We'd walked further upon the training grounds, further away from the musket drill and into our own remote space. "Now turn around." John ordered.
"John-!"
"Turn around!"
I sighed, obeying him and facing out into the distance. Not long now and our plans for battle would be set; we'd be out there, fighting for our lives.

Or our country.

"Okay, you can look."
I twisted myself back around to see John holding two swords in either of his hands. He tossed one over to me, and I caught it with one hand. My aim had gotten presumably better over time. "What's this for?"
"Well seeing as Washington practically trusts you with all his heart now, I thought it would be probable for you to learn what to do if he ever asks you to take command."

"And I'll accomplish this with a sword?" I questioned.
"It's what he's most skilled at. So let's see if you can be any better." Mid-sentence, he positioned himself in a fighting posture, sword held high above his head.
"Wait, b--!!" John lunged straight forward, but I automatically blocked him with my sword. They clashed together as one, fighting for dominance.

"Very nice!" he exclaimed, and I pushed back on him. "But I won't be so light-hearted. That was just a practice round."
"Oh really?" I challenged.
"Really." He plummeted himself forward, and I once again defended myself. At every strike he threw at me, I blocked. But the more I blocked, the quicker his pace went.

It came to a point where my brain failed to keep up with him, and I couldn't defend myself as quickly. On the final blow, John noticed my weakness, and swirled my sword in the air. It caused me to lose track of my thoughts, and it fell to the ground. John instantaneously retrieved it, holding it behind his back whilst his current sword was at my throat.

"Huh, I thought you'd get the hang of this." John sighed.
"Perhaps I have." I said, having a rather unpleasant backup plan.
"Hmm?" I extended my leg out, hitting John right inbetween the legs. He dropped the swords, falling to the ground in pain. I picked them back up before he did, pointing one at him.

"You were saying?" I teased. John squinted, hooking his foot around the back of my leg. I tumbled backwards with a squeal, and once more, he gained the swords back. He straddled my legs so I couldn't move, digging both swords into the ground victoriously.
"I'm still the best."

"Okay, fine, you win. Now let go of me." I said. John stayed put, giving me a childish smirk.
"How do I know you're not going to try and fight me again?" he queried.
"Because you've won. C'mon, before I get into any more trouble with General Washington!" I tried wrestling him off, but he wouldn't budge.

"John!!" I yelled, shoving my hand in his face. He scrunched his face up, pretending to fall backwards lifelessly.
"Oh, woe! Thou has been slaughtered!" he exaggerated, flailing his hand on top of his forehead.
"Hilarious, now get up." I hauled the two swords back out from the ground, shaking the crippled soil from their ends.

"Washington will kill me if I miss another one of his meetings," I said, "Or do something stupid to humiliate myself again."
"What do you mean?" John asked, taking the swords from me to carry.
"Apparently I fell off of a table last night."

"Oh, really? The most I can remember i-- Wait are you hurt??" John interrupted himself.
"No, John, I'm fine."
"Like I know you don't want me to worry about you, but I just can't help myself because--"
"Because I'm a woman." I finished for him.
"Well... Yeah, partially..."

"John, where I'm from, being a woman doesn't matter. We were an equal society. So you really don't need to act like I'm..." I couldn't even finish myself, missing life back in the future.
"No, I get it." he comforted. "I didn't... say anything last night, did I?"
The last thing I could remember was standing on that bench. John had started the joke that I was a woman that night, but it hasn't caused anything that would give me away. "No, you didn't."

"Charlie!" Tench called in the distance, catching our attention. "What are you doing? The General has been looking all over for you!"
"Shit. Sorry, John, I gotta run." I apologised. I bolted off towards the tent, leaving John alone with the swords.

All I wanted was to tell him everything.