Measurements

(Y/N POV)

Not even five minutes since they'd left, and the reality was slowly sinking in. I wish I could remember anything other than the fact that Alexander and... someone else... dies. Dammit, why was I forgetting things?! I just wanted to remember something but my brain denied all information.

I halted outside of the store, squinting in through the window. Good, Charles was in. I pushed open the door, finding that he was talking to a young girl. She appeared about 7, to a maximum. "But I don't want to wear this dress!" she argued at him. I looked around for a parent of hers: a woman stood at the desk, filing with money to pay Hugh.
"Your mother would be displeased if you didn't." Charles convinced.
"Mama's always angry! I never get to choose what I can wear, it's always what she wants!!"

Charles knelt down, examining the dress. "Well, I think you look beautiful." I grinned it him, for he hadn't noticed I was there yet. "Green is one of my favourite colours, for it is the colour of life. It's a symbol of nature, growth, harmony... So as long as you wear that dress, not only will your mother be proud, but you should feel pride in yourself. For that green is the representation of your ambition and obedience, and you should be honoured to be the delightful young lady you have grown to be to this day."

The child giggled, provoking a smile from Charles. "So go out there and show all the other girls how it's done, okay?" She nodded at him. The woman came back over to thank Charles, gripping the young girl's wrist and dragging her out of the store.

Charles took notice in me, getting up from the floor. I wandered over before he could greet me. "Oh so you are good with children?" I teased, bringing back our conversation from Christmas.
"No, it's not-"
"Don't even try me, I just saw what happened."

"So, uh, what can I do for you?" he avoided the conversation.
"Oh, I'm just... in need of new clothes, if that's alright." I said.
"Will it require updated measurements?"
"I believe so, yes."

"Okay, uhm... Mr Mulligan?" -Hugh put down a newspaper he was reading- "Miss Hamilton needs new measurements."
"Haven't I taught you how to do it yourself, boy?" he responded.
"Y- Yes, b-"
A family entered the store. "Now run along, I have business to attend to." Hugh winked at him, expecting me not to see it.

Charles led me into the back room, where he quickly rummaged the shelves. "Who were those people?" I wondered.
"Hm?"
"The mother and daughter. Did you know them?"
"Oh. No, actually. I've never seen them around before. But I can only assume that they were of Christian or Catholic origin, for they both wore a necklace with a crucifix on the ends.

I was concerned about the child, however."
"How so?"
"She seemed... threatened by her mother's presence. And, of course, no child should be. They should have their full trust in them, but instead, she'd rather stay away. She was... self-conscious of her appearance, so I did my best to reassure her."
"And you did a good job."

Charles smirked, taking a shirt and breeches. He handed them to me. "You'll need to change into these in order to get your correct measurements, if that's alright."
"Yeah, that's fine." I directed myself behind the dressing screen, undoing my dress. "How have you been feeling lately?"
"Better, I suppose." he sighed. "Doctor Hosack says I'm improving.
"And you've definitely told him everything?"
"Mmhm."

I stared at the breeches, finding it weird that I was no longer in a dress again. "How are Mr Laurens and your sister?"
"I'll be honest, it's strange. John became my best friend, so to think that they'll be married once he returns is..."
"'Returns'?" Charles questioned.
"The soldiers, they've gone back to the war."
"Oh."

I wrestled the shirt on, presenting myself to him finally. Charles hesitated for a couple of seconds, before standing up. "O- Okay, so..." He grabbed a tape measure from the side, breathing heavily. "Okay." he repeated. He stepped closer towards me. "First we'll measure the circumference of your head."
"My head?" I giggled.
"Yes." -Charles extended the tape- "So we can get you a lovely hat."

"But I didn't ask for a hat!" He continued to wrap the tape around my head anyway.
"Precisely. I think it will look adorable."
"Charles!" He held my head still with a cocky smirk, monitoring the units upon the tape.

"Are you done?" I grunted.
He pulled away, noting the size on a piece of paper. "Tailoring requires patience, I hope you know that."
"And I hope you know that I don't like to be kept waiting." I teased, folding my arms. Normally, I'd poke fun at Charles to watch him grow irritated. However this time, he was playing along with his own smart comments.
"Would you like me to fit you into something intolerable?"
"...No."

He inspected me again and gulped. "Now we'll... measure your chest..." He swathed the tape around, blinking and shaking his head from side-to-side. He tried to read the measurements, but it was as though he couldn't concentrate. His own chest was rising and falling rapidly, his face red.

"Charles, are you okay?" He continued to stare at the tape tightened just underneath my breasts. "Charles?" He fiddled with the ends of the tape nervously. "Charles!" I lunged my face forward to attract his attention. He jumped in startlement.
"Mm, yes, uhm... yeah, aha, ah, uhm, I'm fine, sorry..." He checked the units again, instantly releasing the tape.

After jotting it down, he slammed the pencil down, still burning brightly. "And now for your hips."
"Do you need a minute, you look-"
"No... No I'm fine..." He shook it away, tackling the tape again. "I'm fine." He smiled supportively.
"Great... I was getting worried there for a second."

Charles wrapped the tape around again; alas, this time, he calmed his breathing. It was a steady and peaceful pace.

But it didn't stop him from staring again.

I dared not to say anything. His eyes traced up my torso and to my eyes. Just staring. He used a firm hand to grapple onto the tape, pulling himself in closer. His lips parted, a crease forming in the corner of his mouth. I looked away from him with a blush, yet it only provoked him to tug the tape closer. He unexpectedly snaked one of his hands around my hip. Charles had never acted this way before... and though I was curious to see where it led, I... couldn't take any risks.

I smiled, jerking away from him. "What does it measure?" I disrupted.
"Oh, y- yes, erm..."

A few measurements more, and we were complete.

How unpredictable he was becoming...

...I suppose I liked it.