A Winter's Ball (Pt 1)

°~November 9th, 1780~°

(Y/N POV)

It had just turned 5pm, and Emily had been doing up her hair for at least half an hour by now. At least. She was trying all new hairstyles, restyling the ones she liked. She was determined to look good for this ball. I, on the other hand, didn't care much for looks, as everyone there would instantly be able to recognise who I was. So there was no real point in looking pretty, for all they would see was Charlie Miller.

Charles was joining us anyway, so he'd accompany my side throughout. Meanwhile, Emily would have to search for her own dancing partner. But the clock was moving fast, and before I knew it, there was a knock at the door. I peeked around the stairs to check who it was, and I was shocked to see that Charles had arrived 26 minutes early. Alexander respectfully heeded him inside, and coming down the stairs, I noticed that he held two elegant dresses:

 Alexander respectfully heeded him inside, and coming down the stairs, I noticed that he held two elegant dresses:

"Uh, this is for you

"Uh, this is for you." Charles handed me the blue dress.
"Charles, I told you not to!" I exclaimed, flattered that he'd rejected what I'd told him entirely.
"And this is for your sister." He gave me the pink dress also.
"Charles..."
"They'll look beautiful on the both of you, Sophie, nothing to fret about!" -Alexander took Charles' hand- "Thank you, young man."

I laughed to myself, swirling the dresses around. "Come, there's no time to waste!" Alexander urged, eager to see us in the dresses. "Make yourself at home, Mr Fernández." Charles followed into the living room, as I left back to my bedroom. I tossed Emily her dress, too intrigued by mine.

"What's this?" she questioned, examining it.
"Charles got us dresses!" I screeched, amused that we were no longer in those hideous ones we wore before.
Emily scrambled over, shoving herself behind the dressing screen before I could. "Ladies first!" she squealed, beckoning me away.
"What's that supposed to mean?" I chuckled.

With two minutes, she strutted out, posing as if she were on a catwalk. "What d'ya think?" she wooed proudly.
"Fabulous, now let me get mine on." I submitted myself behind the dressing screen, taking my old dress off. I stared at the new one, enchanted by its brightness. In a flash, it was on, and I was out into the open.