The Court

(Y/N POV)

Throughout the day, Alexander and I discussed both of our realities. Currently, we were in 1776, while I told him about (present day). He really didn't seem to believe that the future was what it was, as I found it hard to believe the state he was living in. So overall it was a win-win situation, both sides were as confused as one another.

After hours of talking (feeling like minutes), we took time to relax. We'd latched ourselves to the sofa for a while, and I almost felt bound to it by now. Alexander looked out of the window, spotting movement from the outside world. "We've got mail." he informed me.
"You sound... surprised." I commented.
"Usually it's just the newspaper." He got up, rubbing his newly sore back as he made his way to the door. 

I observed as he pulled out a letter, alongside a newspaper. He gave the letter a cheeky smile, trailing back inside. "Here." -he tossed me the newspaper- "It may be of interest to you." Whilst Alexander eagerly opened the letter, I scanned the newspaper.

"British Admiral Howe's Got Troops On The Water"

"Unemployment Rates Rising Drastically"

"Mysterious Object Found By Coachman"

Mysterious object... Huh. Wonder what it is.

Just then, I saw a little sketch to the side of the heading:

"No freaking way." I held the newspaper up closer to my face.
"What is it?" Alexander asked, but I ignored him, proceeding to read the article below.

It read, "A mysterious, metallic item has been found at the back of a carriage, discovered by the coachman himself. The young man expressed that the passengers prior to its uncovering were deemed 'extremely suspicious', appearing from General George Washington's camp. As to interrogate the suspects, one has been identified as Alexander Hamilton, a soldier to Washington's army. The other was a young lady accompanying him, with h/c flowing hair and e/c eyes. If anyone knows of the suspects' location, please inform us, as this could be the start of a remarkable finding."

"Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyy god." I handed Alexander the newspaper without any second thought.
"What?" he questioned. I pointed to the sketch of the phone, forcing him to read it.
"Is that your phone?" Alexander quizzed.
"Yes!!" I yelled in frustration.

Abruptly, a clock chimed outside. "Oh, we're late!!" he said in alarm, taking me by the hand outside. We rushed down the streets, my fragile feet hopping here, there and everywhere just to keep up with him.

(Time skip)

"So... I guess this is goodbye, for now." Alexander concluded as I readied myself for the court.
"Yeah..." I sighed, "But it was nice meeting you, Mr--"
"Alexander."
"Of course, heh..."

"Miss, the court is ready for you." A man cocked his head around the main doors. I nodded to him, preparing my entrance.
"Hey." Alexander grabbed my shoulder, "Your secret's safe with me." He winked, walking away.

A/N Just a quick heads up that I know heck all about courts, so this'll probably be very inaccurate

This was it. If I make a slight mistake then I'm doomed. No, c'mon, Y/N, you've got this! I shook my hands, stepping forward and opening the doors. The room fell silent, and everyone watched as I made my way to my pedestal. It was only small, guarded by bars to signify that I was the main issue on the table.

"Name?" the judge asked me. Alexander had advised that I become someone new, create my own identity. And so, I carried it out.
"Sophie, umm..." Shoot, what was a common last name?!
"...Hamilton." The judge's eyebrows raised in suspicion, curious as to why I would struggle to say my own name.

"And where is it that you come from, Miss Hamilton?" Oh boy, here it comes.
"I, umm... My mum-- mother, siblings and I left with my father to serve in the revolution. We stayed at c- camps, umm, y'know, washing n stuff..." Wow, very professional, Y/N! I had honestly no idea what women did in the war, all I knew is that some left with their husbands to live in camps.

"And how is it that you ended up in New York?" Oh no, some people were on to me. Whilst some were jotting notes down, others were eyeing me like I were prey. It didn't help that my identity had been posted in a newspaper, either. It could've been worse. I mean, news of my random appearance in a battlefield could've utterly ruined me.

"Uhhhhhhhh I got lost." I lied.
"You... got lost?" the judge questioned.
"Yes."
"In a camp?"
"Mmhm."
"And you couldn't find your way back?"
"No."

He nodded awkwardly, jotting down notes. I could hear quiet giggles from the crowd: I really hadn't thought this through.
"Well, I highly doubt you'll be reunited with your family, Miss Hamilton." the judge laughed slightly, "I just can't seem to understand how you got lost." Oh he was really asking for an explanation, wasn't he?

"You see, sir, I'd heard news of my father's passing and umm, I became distraught and umm... I foolishly ran away from the camp in search of a new home." I explained.
"So you didn't get lost?" the judge grunted.
"Right!" I agreed. He took some more notes, as the few people surrounding did. He called up someone, whispering into their ear before turning back at me.

"Miss Hamilton, we have made the decision that you shall be sent to the workhouse until word is heard of your mother. Now, may I ask of her name?"

Great.

I'm doomed.

My 'mother' technically didn't exist, so if they tried to track her down, they'd either find a total stranger or no one at all, in which case I'd spend the rest of my life in the workhouse. I decided to take the risk.

"Mrs Hamilton?" I answered questioningly.
"Her first name." Crap.
"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh--"

"Stop! Stop the court!!" A voice rang from behind me.

A/N

HAPPY 237TH BIRTHDAY PHILIP!

Also thanks for 100 views! I'm really happy that people are liking this story so far!