A Winter's Ball (Pt 3)

(Charles POV)

"Hey, can you excuse me for a minute?" Y/N asked.
"Sure. I'll get us all drinks." I left for the right, as Y/N turned left. The sophistication of the dance was intoxicating, dragging me deeper into such a bliss that I could not escape. I walked on, my body screaming to give in. I wanted to dance so dearly, but if it were to damage Y/N's reputation still further, then I shall remain silent.

My feet quickened its pace, aching to thrive with the beat of the music. Though I passed unnoticed, a solemn wreck cowering upon the shadows. Mr John drank pleasantly, enjoying the nighttime sequence that I chose to ignore. I resembled somebody in his mind, which frankly frightened me, for I have no memory of his face. Perhaps we'd have met in another time, and our reconciliation brought hope from our past lives.

Nevertheless, I approached the bar. I smiled to General Washington as I awaited service. He may have been eager to talk, therefore drawing himself closer to me. Out of hesitation, I forced myself to call out for the waiter, but the General held out his hand for a halt in motion. "Allow me." He indicated for the waiter to come over. "What would you like?"
"Uhm... Just thre- Just drinks for uh..."
"Four glasses, if you will." The General ordered.

"...Thank you." I murmured.
"It's no problem." he responded, withdrawing a sum of money. "You're lucky to have someone like Miss Hamilton."
I tensed up. "N- No, sir, you've misunderstood, we're not... together or anything--"
"Then perhaps you should confront her on your feelings." The General suggested. "She seems happy around you, and it's great after all of the things she has recently been through. Besides, you're well-spoken, good looking..."
"...Thank you, sir..."

"Have you considered joining the war?" he probed, receiving the drinks.
"I'm afraid not really, sir." I admitted. "I've been sick for quite some time now, and I await a recovery process."
The General nodded. "Very well. It would be better for you to stay at home tending to your health than be out there." I took the three of the drinks, as he took his. "And son?" -I turned myself around- "Take care of Sophie. On my behalf."
"Yes, sir..."

Hadn't I have noticed that the music had stopped. I clambered my way around the sides, listening to the mighty clap of hands and the tremendous orchestration begin once again. I scuttled behind the dancers, the rhythm no longer filling my lungs as I concentrated on keeping the drinks intact.

I shuddered beside Y/N, handing her her drink. Prepared to pass another to her sister, I observed as she was at the centre of the ballroom with Mr John. I resumed to see that a tender woman smiled beside Y/N, and I supposed it would be generous of me to provide her with one. "Well, I suppose one wouldn't hurt for you, Miss." I gave the extra glass to her.
"Why thank you, kindly!" she accepted.

I brought my attention back to Emily, feeling the slight warmth of Y/N's skin as I hovered near.

She was beautiful.

"She seems happy."

°~5 Minutes Later~°

(Y/N POV)

John finished with a bow, leading Emily off towards Martha. Kissing her hand a final time, he was brought back into Martha's arms. "Shall we?"
Martha blushed, following John back onto the dance floor.

Out of nowhere, Charles' arm was suddenly hooked around mine. He gestured to the dance floor, smiling affectionately. "I can't dance." I muttered.
"Would you rather it be with me or with somebody else?" he persuaded. "Besides, you can't be lumbered here all night."
I rolled my eyes, hiding a smile. "Fine."

I was escorted out, looking around to the other participants: John and Martha, Alexander and Eliza, and Washington and Martha. We got into position, the music starting quite rapidly. "Huh." Charles stated in the middle of a bow.
"What?" I questioned.
"It's the Allemande." he recognised, taking my hand. "Our first dance together."