Enchantments

Dear Charles,

Fortunately, I have been given the prospect of travelling to England. General Washington professes that I would make well in disguise to find what the British are planning. Shall it prove auspicious? That we must find for ourselves. General Lafayette has been chosen to chaperone with me: I pity him. His desires of battle have ceased due to my very existence here. I yearn for this war to end soon, so that I can return to New York at long last.

I promised to myself that I wouldn't worry about you, as you wouldn't for me. Although, I do admit that my mind has ventured to those thoughts numerous times. There is little to occupy yourself with here; thought is the only thing that carries me through. I understand your willingness to write each day, but please, don't hesitate to apprise me of your health.

Speaking of my return, my Uncle claims that it would be grand to converse with you. I suppose he knows of our seemingly unofficial courtship alike everyone in New York who suspects it. I have also brought attention of your name to Colonel Cornelius Jackson, a good friend of mine. He talks none of his own life, constantly intrigued by mine, and yet I feel inclined to trust him with my life. I must be ill.

Alas, I cannot write forever. As wretched as it is, I will not receive your letters upon the ship. But just as you promised, I will write every day. Once I make my arrival in England, I will send details of my location and from then on you must refer to myself as Olivia Hurst. Lafayette shall be known as my husband, Nicholas Hurst. In the meantime, perhaps you should distract yourself with a letter to my Uncle.

I wish you the very best.

- Y/N L/N

~

Dearest Y/N,

Despite that my letters will never reach out to you, I will write a response for every one you send. The instance I hear you are in England, I shall enclose every one of them and send them to you under Mrs Olivia Hurst. I shan't miss out on a moment to woo you with words, as diverting as that may sound. I'd inform General Lafayette that he'd preferably not get enthralled in this affair, or I may become envious.