Set Sail

(Y/N POV)

"Allow me, Madmoiselle." Lafayette kindly took my luggage from me, stepping out before I could. I quickly adjusted my hat as shade from the sun, and listened intently to the gossip on the outside. From peeking around the door, the docks were crowded with prosperous folk. The men in their waistcoats, stretching down to their knees, and the women in their overly exaggerated dresses. I'd look penniless to them, but so long as I could afford a place on this ship, I couldn't be touched.

I reached my hand around the edge of the carriage, stabilising myself to reach the outside. My breath hitched after catching sight of the ship: it was enormous. The sea sickness was sinking in already. "Everything alright, mon ami?" Lafayette asked.
"Yes, I'm just..."
"Stunned?" he finished. "Then you must adapt to the aristocratic life."

He strutted off suddenly, heaving all of the bags with him. "M- Must we go so soon?" I questioned whilst trying to keep up.
"We don't want to linger." -He tilted his head- "This ship will become our new home, therefore we must get to know her better."

Some families were saying their goodbyes, and others were standing around in conversation. Few had boarded yet. Lafayette climbed along the sloped plank with ease. On the other hand, I took small steps, challenging the water below. "You're afraid of a ship but not of a war?" he joked.
"I have no experience with ships!" I made my final leap over to his side.

A crew member jogged over to us. "Good evening!" He bowed and offered his hand out to Lafayette, awkwardly drawing it away when he saw that his hands were full. He swiftly skipped over to me and kissed my hand. "My name is Richard Morris. You must be...?"
"Mr and Mrs Hurst." Lafayette took out both of our passports, handing them to Mr Morris.
"Oh of course, I've heard of you! Returning to England, are we?"
"We are. New York has presented itself to be a fine place."
"It is, Sir, it is."

Mr Morris carried a strong cockney accent, visibly from London. He ran his sleeve over his nose and gave the passports back. "May I show you to your cabin?" He spread his arms out. Lafayette dumped the luggage upon him; his knees rattled from the sudden impact.
"That would be delightful, Mr Morris." Lafayette agreed.

We followed him down into the lower deck. An open space was left, with two chess boards and various sized tables scattered around. He directed us to the left, through an arch into a hallway and the nearest door to our right.

"There... you are..." Mr Morris sighed with limited breath. He rested the bags at the front of one of the beds. "I'll... let you get settled in..." He closed the door exhaustedly behind him.

"What a terrific view!" Lafayette exclaimed, peering through the porthole out to the sea. I claimed the bed to the left, where all of the luggage had been left. "There is no use unpacking yet. We've had a long day." He collapsed onto his bed.

The carriage ride had lasted around 9-10 hours. There was little to do, little to talk about, so we stared out of our windows most of the way. I couldn't even tell if Lafayette was asleep, for I was fascinated by the scenery. Had this have been the future, the greenery wouldn't exist. It would be overwritten by roads and buildings. Truly, it made me consider how tranquil life was here.

"She's a sturdy ship." Lafayette patted the bulkheads. "Bitter, yet sturdy."
"Let's hope she doesn't cause anything disastrous." I commented negatively, reminding myself of what happened to Charles' parents.
"Unsinkable, I'd say."
"Not that she may sink... But if hygiene is inadequate-"
"You women and hygiene!"

"There's nothing wrong with not wanting to stink!"
"I'm not saying there is! Women are just always so bothered about their state of beauty!"
"If I was so 'bothered' about my 'state of beauty', why would I join a war?!" I joked on. "If anyone in this world, let it be my sister!"
"Hah... My wife is of a similar fashion. Always anxious of the way she looks when she knows that she is perfect."
"No... Not all women think they're perfect."

"HOIST THE SAILS!!" A loud voice raged.
"What's happening?" I queried.
"Seems as though we are leaving." Lafayette concluded. He marched to the door.
"Already?!"
"I believe so." He opened it; noticeably more people had joined the ship.

"Come! You'll want to see this!" he insisted. I followed him to the upper deck, where sailors were dashing around frantically. We leaned off of the port side of the ship, keeping watch of any subtle movements. Crewmen untied the ship from the harbour and rapidly sprung back on. They were tremendously impressive for such young boys.

The ship began to drift away from the docks. The others stood on the starboard side to wave to their families. Glancing above me, sails swayed viciously in the gusts of wind. I couldn't even think of climbing up there, knowing that it was such a dangerous task. Sailors were already in the crow's nests on lookout for danger.

An older man, distinctly more skilful than the others, turned the helm briskly. The ship pointed away from the docks, and within minutes of nonsense orders and commands, we were off. I gripped the railing, although this wasn't as fast as it was likely to go. My body staggered with the motion of the ship.

Lafayette laughed. "Position your feet at a 45° angle, mon ami. Like this." Using his example, I obeyed just as he'd said. I released the railing. For a little while, it seemed to work. Though as the ship sped up, I returned back to my support.

"Not much of a sailor, are you?" Lafayette chuckled over the sounds of the waves.
"I DON'T THINK SO." I wailed back, barely able to hear myself.
"You'll become used to it, Madmoiselle! Only 3 weeks or so a--"
"3 WEEKS?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"
"It can't be that horrendous, surely!"

Peeping over the side again, crystal water sliced the ship. It rocked repeatedly in an up and down motion. "Ugh I think I'm gonna be sick..."