Bandaged

°~October 9th, 1781~°

°~4:54p.m.~°

(Y/N POV)

"HMS Guadeloupe has been scuttled!" Rochambeau proclaimed. Those who heard him clapped in unison, including me, who by now had already heard the news.

A few days ago, perhaps Saturday or Sunday, Washington began the trench along the path of pine that we had marked out. I asked if I could assist, and of course, he denied it. He said that I had "helped quite enough" and could merely spectate.

I would predict that approximately 2000 metres was dug out in total, stretching from the head of Yorktown all the way to the York River. Half was commanded by the Americans, whilst the other half was in the control of the French.

Over the past couple of days or so (time was hard to keep a steady track of), cannon fire had been exchanged between us and the British. I aided in moving the artillery around, for again, I could not engage in battle... although there was practically none in occurrence. Just two sides playing a game of catch.

But yes, the French had, indeed, scuttled HMS Guadeloupe across the York River. A tactical manoeuvre? Possibly so. Although it may enrage the British and encourage them to tackle us with even more brutality. We couldn't afford that, taking into account the shortage of food and medical aide.

Aside from the war, what I had said made an unexpected impact on Alexander. He didn't speak to me much, and if he did then it was minor small talk. I shared my place to sleep in the trench with him but... his behaviour was profoundly unnatural. There was no spark, no glint in his eye anymore. No hunger to fight. He was downcasted and I could do nothing more than blame myself for it all.

There was no possibility in receiving letters by now. Eliza was around 6 months into her pregnancy now; I could not wait to see a mini Alexander running wild around our home. Emily must be missing John dearly, she seemed so enraptured at the thought of their wedding. I cannot wait for his return. And Charles...

...Charles.

What more can I say?

The pain returned and I whisked my hands away from one another. Cursing under my breath, I had apparently forgotten the blisters that had formed upon my skin from the handling of the artillery. "Doctor Craik!" I called out to the Doctor as I observed him passing through.
"Captain, what can I do for you?" he wondered, smiling politely.
"Do you perhaps have a bandage of some sort? I've-" I showed him my blistered hands.
"Oh, Miss, how dreadful! We'll fix that up right away, come with me!"

There were certain advantages to being a woman in the army. For example, you were given almost every privilege. If I'd have been a man asking for the same thing, I likely would have been turned away. Whereas, as a woman, they were compulsed to help me whenever I may need it.

I scurried along behind. I still received glares from various soldiers, which was no surprise, in all honesty. A woman in the war is unthinkable, let alone fighting in it with a rank upon their shoulder. That was the curse to it all, the criticism that you took from others all because of your gender.

"Here we are, Miss." Doctor Craik bent over to fetch a box buried into the side of the trench. Opening it revealed a supply of medical equipment, primarily bandages. "Here we are..." He repeated. He took two out, dabbing one with a strong scented liquid.

"This may sting." he warned me. Wrapping the bandage around my right hand, he was not wrong. It immediately seeped onto the blisters and stung with fierce might. I sucked in between my teeth. "Are you alright?"
"Yes, I'm fine..." I sighed. He repeated again with the other hand and the pain only intensified. I hid it beneath an awkward smirk.

"There. I assure you that you will feel all the better. For now, I advise you take a break from whatever it is that you were doing."
"Thank you, Sir."
"It is my pleasure." The Doctor bowed his head, stowing the box back against the wall. As he bent over, I glanced over to see Alexander staring directly at me.

I dismissed myself and hurriedly fled over to him. "What happened?" he asked in a dull tone.
"Just- blisters, that's all." I brushed off. "Nothing you need to worry about."
"I wasn't." he grunted.
I sighed. "If this is about what I--"

"It is nothing about that and I wish to have no relation towards it." Alexander rapidly turned and walked away.
"Wait-!" I jumped in front of him, forcing him to stop in his tracks. He jolted forward from my appearance. "I disgraced you, I know, and I'm sorry!"
"No, you disgraced my honour."

He pushed past me again.

"Is that all you care about, Alexander? Your honour?"
Infuriated, he turned back. "Perhaps it is, Sophie, perhaps my honour means everything to me! And I will not let that be annihilated by some barbarian assigned to protect you!"
"He is no barbarian, he is a great man!"
"Oh here we go again!" Alexander tossed his hands into the air.

"You have to learn, Alexander, th-!"
"Who was the one who voluntarily raised you? Me! Who was the one who gave you food and a roof on your head? Me! Who was the one that saw you as my own? Saw you not as some street child but as my own child?"

After finishing his sentence, he froze. "My child..." he repeated. "My child, I... I'm going to have a child-"
I threw my arms around him. "And you are going to be the greatest father towards your child that there ever was." I announced. "Forgot your honour, Alexander. You have a wife. And you love her. You're going to be a fath--"

"OPEN FIRE!!"

~~~~~~~~~~

Usually would've posted by now but uh, my mind's been all over the place from a range of hyperactivity to anger to sadness and idek what's wrong with me lol. So I apologise.

Unless I can find a way to become a sane person again lol, I'm afraid that updates may slow. Sorry.

Anyway yay I wrote another one.

And hAPPY BIRTHDAY BURR-