Love

(Emily POV)

Being asked to dance with John was like a dream come true.

Of course, Y/N likely hated me right now; I told her that I didn't want to know him, or any of her friends.

But he just...

Wow.

Though I couldn't let my feelings interfere with the fact that he had a wife. For all I knew, they could have children: I didn't know. I stood no chance. Therefore, the dance would be a grateful memory to keep in mind, for it may be the last time that I ever get to dance with him.

He couldn't stop smiling. When the music played and we exchanged a bow/curtsy, he smiled. As I took his hand, he smiled. "You must be proud to have a sister like Sophie." he started.
"Y- Yes, she's great." I stuttered, trying not to fall over.
"You don't seem so convinced." he chuckled. "But that's normal. I have one brother, two sisters, all younger than I, and I can barely control one of them."

I giggled. "We're not sisters as such. Cousins, more alike. But being taken in by the same man, we've learnt to live like sisters."
"I couldn't imagine what it's like living with Alexander as a father figure."
Scoffing, I checked down to keep my feet right. "I wouldn't say he's like a father. He's just... there for us."
"Huh. He seems to think differently."

"How do you mean?" I questioned.
"He continuously refers to both of you as his daughters." John informed me.
"Oh please." I laughed, as John did too.
"It's the cold truth!"
"That cannot be true, Alexander wouldn't do that!"
"Well apparently he would!"
"Really now?!"
"Really!"

We stopped to laugh but was accidentally carried off in the dance. John brought us back through. "You know, if you ever need help with money, you should only ask." John implored. "I know that you're not in the best living conditions, and I'm willing to help."
"Oh, I wouldn't want that." I refused.
"Why not?"
"I couldn't take money from another, it's just..." -My thoughts were distracted by David- "...Not right."

"It's not as though you're stealing it, therefore what is the issue?" The music slowed down to a halt, and claps roared out among us. "It's the least I could do to help you." He bowed, taking my hand and leading back over to his wife. He kissed my knuckles a final time, more delicately than the last. Finally, he linked his arm around his wife's, causing her to blush. "Shall we?"

I felt so happy for them.

~

"So how's your night been?" I slurred. I'd been trying my best to stay sober, and I guess it worked. I just felt a bit queasy.
"Amazing..." a drunk Alexander sighed. "I met the most... fantastic woman. We're... going... to have children... And we're going to have a son... and we'll be happy... An-"
"We get it, Alex." I laughed.

"What about you?" he questioned, chugging the remainder of his glass down.
"It's been, well, amazing." I improvised from him.
"Mmhm. How?"
"I met... a man."
"Kid, I met plenty and not one was of any interest to me."
"That's because you're a man yourself."

He raised an eyebrow. "As in a man that you... liked?"
"...Perhaps." I hinted, shrugging my shoulders.
"As in like-liked?!"
"Stop acting so surprised!" I exclaimed with a smile. "But yes. There's a catch, however."
"What could that possibly be? He's perfect to you, isn't he?"
"...He's married."
"...Oh..."

The room started clearing up, as more and more people left for their homes. "Where's Y/N?" Alexander asked
"She's outside with Charles, I think."
He unexpectedly started giggling, hiding his face in his jacket.
"What?" I chuckled.
"They're so cute. I'd let them get married."
I smiled, thankful that Y/N had found her own happiness. Though, I doubted she'd marry; she always warned that it'd ruin history.

And she wasn't wrong. If we did have children of our own, they'd grow and potentially start their own families. And their children would start their own families. It could change the future of the world, and that's not exactly what we aimed to do. Grandma told fairytales that if we're ever to get a chance to save our family, we must. Although they were no longer fairytales.

This was reality.

"Emily." Between my thoughts, a hand slipped into mine. I grappled a sheet of paper, feeling the hand leave me. I glanced to my side: John. "If you ever need anything, just write to me." Martha smiled sincerely, awaiting John to come back to her. I nodded at John, permitting him to leave with Martha.

"John...?" Alexander whispered.

°~11:23pm~°

(Y/N POV)

I took the candle within my grasp, prowling to the window. The snow began to dissolve into sludge: delightful for some, saddening for others. I didn't mind, as long as the heat didn't come back. And I predicted it wouldn't for a long time, to my relief.

But providing what had happened near the end of the night, I worried even further about Charles. Maybe I was overreacting, but what if I wasn't? What if he was getting worse? And David, he... He'd stolen all of the money to grant any reliable help for him. Alas, Charles was back safely at the Dame, and I prayed intensely for his health.

Closing the curtains, I stumbled back to my bed. Emily was centred on her back, staring at the ceiling. I clambered into my bed, blowing out the candle. The smoke suffocated my nostrils, so I immediately turned away to avoid it.

Shutting my eyes, I was disrupted when I heard quiet giggles from across the room. I squinted through the darkness, taking the time to adjust my eyes. Emily continued to laugh, wobbling the bed frantically. "What's so funny?" I murmured.
"It's such a weird feeling, isn't it?" she contemplated.
"What?"
"Love."

I sat up, rubbing my eyelids. "Love?"
She started laughing again, kicking her legs about. "I can't help myself!"
"Don't tell me you 'love' John." I sighed. "You've known him for a few hours, you just have a mini crush." I smashed my head back onto the pillow, grunting. "What am I saying, he's married, Goddammit."
"I know, and that's why I hate these feelings... but at the same time..."

She screamed into her hands, making me jump. "Sshh, you'll wake the whole street up!!" I hushed.
"What would you do if you were in this situation?" she tested.
"Huh?"
"Seriously, if Charles was happily married, what would you do?"
"How would you know if w--"
"Don't even try that on me anymore, we all know what's going on between you two.

So?"
"I'd..." It was hard for me to put myself in someone else's shoes, but John was my best friend. Practically my brother. We'd laughed together, mourned together, drank together... And if I knew anything about him, it would be that he'd do anything to make others happy, considering himself last. So he loved Martha. And he loved his daughter.

But when he mentioned to me once that his feelings for her were falling, I felt nothing but sympathy.

"I'd talk to him. Get to know him better. Just... make sure you're not forcing your emotions onto him." I advised.
She was unresponsive, but I saw the figure of her head nod.

She rested back beneath her mattress, carrying both of us off into a sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry if this seems rushed, I just constantly have that goal to finish a chapter before I go to sleep lol