Dire Embaressment

My Dear Father,

I wish to inform you of my betrothal to Miss Emily Hamilton. I am considerate of your decision to marry me with Ms Martha Manning, alas, things could not be. Our darling Frances shall forever be held my daughter, and will furthermore carry off the family name until she marries. I am no more of a benevolent father to her than I once was. Although, Father, I am hereby devoted to Miss Hamilton's heart, and I am inclined to carry out our legacy with her.

I would never intend to dishearten you, Father. She bares the most captivating looks, and is well-bred for one of deprivation. She may not be as insightful as you might hope, but I ensure you that she is one of uniqueness. A sustainable frame, ideal for carrying offspring should we have any.

I plead that you keep yourself in good health, Father, for we pray that your release may be soon. I shall write to brother and sister Mary, inviting them to meet my bride. In the meantime, please do write.

Your most affectionate and dutiful,

J. Laurens.

°~1 Week Later~°

(Y/N POV)

John and Emily had spent a lot of time preparing for an engagement party, for it would take a long time in order for them to be married. The only reason Alexander and Eliza had theirs so quickly was due to Mr Schuyler's rapid organisation process. He had faith that Alexander would prove a good match, and therefore wished them to be wed a quickly as possible.

But of course, with a marriage, the woman was supposedly devoting herself to the man. Therefore, it would only be plausible for John to ask of Alexander's permission to marry Emily. As for her, she wouldn't need permission from John's father, yet she wouldn't want to enter the family against his will. So soon enough, once released from the Tower of London, Emily would have to meet her father-in-law, Henry Laurens.

Charles didn't feel like joining us this time, which was acceptable. He was making solid progress on his sketchbook, and still, after all these years, turtles were his speciality. Still, I'd lent Emily my dress from the ball, since she had quite the fondness for it.

The dining room was sizable for the small number of guests to fill around the sidelines. Therefore, we didn't even need to leave the house. I could just lumber in my bedroom all night if I really wanted to. I'd taken the larger room to the left, as Emily claimed the one on the right. Until Alexander and Eliza bared their children, the rooms were ours.

Emily barged in, frolicking about like a lunatic. I sat upon my bed, tugging my shoes on. "Now I'm the Belle of the ball!" Emily teased. "I can't wait for tonight! I have so many plans, things to do!!"
"Take a breath, gosh!" I collapsed onto my back, squinting at the ceiling. "At this rate, there'll be no party, for you'll be dead from the excitement."

She flopped onto the bed beside me, resting her head on her hand. "You'll love it, trust me, you're my special guest!"
"Psh, I don't know what John sees in you..." I poked fun at her.
"What, you're telling me that if you were a man, you wouldn't date me?"
"I'd be your brother, that's incest, Emily."
"No, not my brother!! If you were unrelated, you idiot!!"