Prologue

Prologue - How It All Started

SOPHIES POV:

I was only nine years old when the unthinkable happened.

Something had woken me up in the middle of the night. I felt tugging at my leg and before I knew it I was being cautiously dragged out of my bed. Some material was in my mouth, but I was too sleepy to focus on what it was. All I knew was that it kept me from letting out a word. My breaths through my nose started to pick up, only to slow back down. When I finally came to my senses, I realised someone had a hold of my legs and something else was hold up my arms.

“Faster.” a man quickly whispered. It sounded like a strong demand. The voice sounded familiar though. In fact, it sounded very familiar. Deep and husky, as if they had a throat full of sandpaper. Being such a young girl, a voice like that made me feel so uneasy inside.

Impulsively my eyes slowly squinted to see a figure in front of me. Well, the back of their head at least. I couldn’t make out who it was but I knew for sure that it wasn’t either of my parents or someone that works for them. Who could these people be?

My arms and legs were both so weightless and fragile as they carried me upwards, meaning that I could see the ceiling above me. My head was leaning on the side of my left shoulder as I was still the slightest bit tired. Something inside me told me to wake up and that little message might’ve been enough to get me thinking.

I need to say something, ask them where they’re taking me. No nine year old just gets carried away in the middle of the night. Or maybe I was an exception? Of course I was the princess-to-be of England, yet no one knew it yet. And no one would know for a long time.

“Mm whe are oo shaking meh?” I tried my best to ask them where they were taking me. As I woke up some more, my legs and arms stiffened. Suddenly the figures that were holding me jolted my body, as if in panic.

“She’s awake!” The man in front of me alarmed the other. This man’s voice was also deep, but not as frightening as the other. “Charles, what do we do?” he added.

“Move faster!”

Abruptly, my body started swaying roughly from side to side. I still had no clue whatsoever of what was going on.

 “Hey!” I heard a loud voice come from a distance. We were half way through our largest lounge room: I could tell from the patterns on the ceiling. This voice I definitely knew—it was Ed, one of the guards that worked for my parents.

Without any kind of warning, my body fell straight to the ground. The impact on the marble floor was painful but I managed to hide the pain.

I heard loud, fast footsteps running away from me. Soon after, another round of footsteps chased after the men who left me on the floor.

That night, was the decider of the rest of my life.

A/N: Heyhey readers, thanks for reading the prologue! I hope you like the story! And just to clarify, "Ed" is not meant to be Ed Sheeran, ahaha: but if you want it to be, that's fine with me!

Happy reading :) xx