1.[ Big News]

☁︎ Los Angeles, California - the year 1991☁︎

It was a sunny yet chilly day, Ava had just gotten home from attending her English 1B course for 3 hours. She had driven home immediately after class finished, only to discover that nobody was home. Assuming that her mother was probably out with her boyfriend, she didn't take much importance of it. She went into her room to place her bag down, along with the 3 novels that were assigned the first day of class. The house was quite peaceful without her mother's soap operas playing in the background or her almost stepfather's soccer games. Ava lived alone with her mother since her father never bothered to visit her anymore and had moved onto a new family. Ava figured that if he wasn't there wholeheartedly then she would rather not have him at all. It was very difficult to adjust to his absence but she eventually learned to live without him. All she wanted was her mother to find happiness, no matter what it was to her. She supported her mother 100% and trusted her. Although when her mother began to date again, she was afraid of the person doing just as much if not more damage to her than her own father did. However, Wilbert thankfully proved her wrong, she didn't necessarily consider him her father but only the man who handled her mother's heart with care and loyalty.

Ava sighed as she plopped down on her bed, to pick up one of the books that were assigned, planning to at least get a headstart for the next 2 weeks. School started in the first week of August but all they've done is review the syllabus and a few in-class assignments that had nothing to do with the books they're supposed to read. She decided to play some music on the radio, hoping that there would be something she'd like.

'And here is New Kids on the Block single Step-By-Step' announced the radio person cheerfully, she decided to just leave it as is. She's heard about this group but never took it upon herself to pay attention to them as college was a pain in the ass and she spent most of her time outdoors reading books or doing homework. As she flipped through the pages, she silently bobbed her head to the sweet sound of Jordan Knight's voice. She was actually enjoying this and considered looking in the newspapers or magazines lying around in the living room to find out more about them. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the front door open from downstairs. It was her mother and Wilbert. Immediately, going downstairs, she was greeted with 2 huge smiles. "What's going on?" she asked as she walked down the stairs. "We've got some news" her mother Ana responded. "Which is?" Ava questioned. Without a word, her mother raised her left-hand proudly, a shiny silver band on her forefinger drew her attention and her eyes widened."I asked your mother to marry me and she said yes" responded Wilbert with a gleam in his eyes. "Oh my gosh you guys, I'm so happy for you" Ava cheered as she ran up to hug her mother all while giving her a kiss on the cheek and then did the same to him. "Really honey?" her mom asked as there were tears in her eyes. "Of course I am, I want nothing more than your happiness" Ava responded and wiped the tears streaming down her cheek. "And you mister, thank you for everything you've done for us," Ava told Wilbert as she pulled him in for another hug.

"Alright enough tears, we're going out to celebrate," Wilbert said as he pulled away. "Where are we going?" Ava asked. "Wherever you want" her mother responded and Ava smiled. "I'm in the mood for tacos". "Tacos it is" Wilbert responded. "Mmm but can I take a quick shower, that way I won't have to do it when we get home, and I can just go to sleep?" Ava asked and they agreed. Without another word, she ran back upstairs to take a hot shower. After about 30 minutes or so, she stepped out of the shower and slipped on a baby pink hoodie and light blue Levis along with white Adidas. Her hair was naturally curly so she combed it out and left it as is. She smiled at the thought of her mom engaged, she only hoped that her mother had a beautiful and intimate wedding. Just imagining her mother in a beautiful white dress walking down the aisle to join bonds with a man that had proven both to them that he was capable of filling in the empty cavity her father left, made her teary-eyed.

It was now almost 8 pm, Ava figured that there was no point for makeup as nobody would see her in the night time. She made sure to lock her window and turn off all the lights before making her way out the door. "Ready to go?" Wilbert said as he was reading the newspaper and sipping on coffee. "Yeah where's my mom?" she asked as she sat down in front of him. "She's changing into something warm" he responded. The small picture of a group of 5 guys catching her attention as he held the newspaper close to his face, she gently tugged at it to take a closer look. They all were very attractive but one, in particular, caught her attention, Elvis like hair, the small set of hoop earrings and a killer smile. She read the names from the small caption.

'Joey Mcintyre, Jonathan Knight, Donnie Wahlberg, Danny Wood and Jordan Knight.'

'New Kids on The- '

She was interrupted by her mother walking in, with a stunning outfit on, earning a small soft wolf whistle from Wilbert. Ava immediately put the newspaper down and admired her mother who was wearing something a bit out of her comfort zone. Her mother was changing for the better and she loved it. Her mother was now an engaged woman to an amazing man and she couldn't be happier for them. "Let's go before we catch traffic," Wilbert said as he kissed Ana's hand lovingly and Ava smiled. They left the house at around 8 pm before jumping into the black BMW that he owned.

The drive to the Mexican restaurant was about 30 minutes to an hour, thanks to traffic. Ava spent the time staring out the window, looking at the beauty of the night and the radiant full moon. She practically jumped out of her seat when they finally pulled into the parking lot. "Finally, I'm hungry," Ava said as she stood outside of the car. They entered the small eating establishment that was slightly packed with small families and elderly couples. Ava offered to reserve them a table while they went to order, she tapped her fingers patiently until she saw her mom bring the drinks over.

The food took about 10 minutes, as they chatted amongst themselves, her mother and Wilbert were sharing secret messages through their eyes which did not go unnoticed by Ava."Is there something you guys want to say?" she questioned as she took a sip of her coke in a classic tall glass bottle. "After we eat" her mother said and Ava nodded not really putting much importance into it.

After eating, they went back into the car and Ava brought up the topic again. "What were you guys going to tell me?". "Ava" her mother began but Wilbert gestured to her that he could handle it.

"Ava, how do you feel about moving to Boston Massachusetts?".

1st chapter omgggggg. I love this book already. Are you excited because I sure am !!!♥︎