10

£ Cassy

"Dad?" I call. "Are you home?"

"Hiya, deary." Rowena comes into the living room, smiling. "Your dad actually just left, he took Gabriel to a job interview."

"...oh."

"Do you need something? I'd be more than happy to help."

"I need to make a pie." I state, proudly.

"Well, we don't have the ingredients here unfortunately, I can take you to the store if you like."

"I don't know." I suck in a breath.

"Oh, will ya? I want you to begin accepting me."

"Rowena, I do." I take get hands in mine. "You're the best step mother anyone could have, and I love you."

"Ya do, deary?" She smiles widely.

"Yes, you and your bouncy red hair." I say, bouncing one of her curls. "Now, why don't we go to the store now?" I smile at her.

She grabs her keys and practically drags me out the door to her black SUV. "What kinda pie are ya makin'?"

"You mean we are making." I say.

"You want me to help you make the pie?"

"Why not?"

"Who slash what is this pie for exactly?"

"Friend from school. Going through a rough time so I'm trying to be nice."

"Your mother did raise you right, didn't she?" Rowena smiles and I smile back.

"I guess so. But you did too."

"Me?"

I shrug. "Yeah, I mean, I know it hasn't been long that we've been together....but you've taught me alot already."

"That's so sweet of you, deary."

We both smile and hen she parks in the parking lot of the grocery store

"Ready, deary?"

I get out the SUV and nod. "Yeah."

We walk in together, looking at the various food products in the store. As I pass the frozen aisle, I stop. My eyes gaze at all the different flavors of icecream. Rowena stops and looks at me, smiling. "Better get a cart, ey?"

I chuckle and walk to the carts, rolling back to my step mom. A laugh escapes us both as I watch her struggling to carry all the icecream containers in her two little arms. "Let me help." I say, taking the variety of icecreams, setting them in the cart. "Cherry, chocolate, Reese, Oreo, butter finger, cookie dough, cheesecake, heath? That's alot of icecreams, Rowena."

"I know how you boys are, with Gabriel and Crowley, these will all be gone tomorrow probably."

"Ha! True."

"Now, what kind of pie are we making again?"

"...............cherry?"

"Typical!" She huffs in a playful way.

"Blueberry?"

"Cliché." She walks away.

I follow. "Chocolate banana?"

She spins around. "Yes! That's exactly what you need! We should make some for the house too."

She starts running off, making it hard to follow without almost running people over.

"Chocolate pie crust!" She points to the pie crusts. "Seven."

I pick out seven chocolate pie crusts putting them in the cart gently.

"Now to the filling!"

I once again, chase her through the store, knocking into a shelf by accident.

"Bananas, milk, cream, and pudding." She tells me.

She goes off for the cream and milk and I get the bananas and pudding. After grabbing twelve bananas and four boxes of banana pudding and fot boxes of chocolate pudding, I walk back to the dairy section of the store. She is standing there infront of the coffee creamers, cooking spray and two gallons of milk in her hand. I set the food in the cart and take the milks and spray out of her hand gently, setting those in the cart too. "Hard time deciding which creamer to choose?"

She chuckles. "Yeah, I don't know which one to get." She tells me. "I know you boys love your coffee and you've tried like every creamer out ever made, so any suggestions?"

"I prefer the hazelnut. It's my favorite."

"I'll give it a swing then, yeah?"

I nod with a smile, leaning on the cart.

"What about you boys?"

"Gabriel likes the chocolate caramel and I guess I'd choose the strawberry cheesecake again. Dad, he's boring so vanilla."

She laughs. "Has he really never tried any other creamer?"

"Not unless you count Malibu when he has his free night like twice a year."

"Hmm, Malibu and coffee mixed? I never tried it."

"I have, it isn't that bad, but then again I only had less than half a cup because dad doesn't want me turning into a alcoholic."

"Smart, have you ever tried wine?"

"Definitely, dad has a glass of wine a night so he let's me have some once in a while."

"I'm more of a scotch person." She giggles. "Probably because I'm Scottish."

"You are?"

"More than half." She smiles. "And just a wee bit Irish."