Chapter 72: Hurt.

Max's P.O.V.

"Come on man whats going on with you?" I asked River for the 20th time as he just sat in a chair on the porch, staring down at the ground

Once again, he simply shook his head.

"I'm not leaving until you say something."

"Leave." He stated.

"I swear you're relentless." I retorted. "I'm not gonna stop bothering you until you tell me what's wrong."

"I messed up.... Again..."

"What do you mean?"

"I slept with Danica back when I first gained consciousness." He explained.

"5 years ago?"

He nodded his head yes.

"Wait... Does that mean Iris is-"

"Yep."

Wow.... I really didn't see that coming.

"How did Cass react when you told her?"

He closed his eyes and opened his hand revealing Cassidy's wedding ring.

My jaw nearly dropped but I didn't wanna make the situation even worse than it was.

"She took it that bad huh..."

"Can you blame her?"

"Why'd you do it then?"

"I don't know. I wasn't thinking. It was just an in the moment thing. I wasn't myself when I came back. Cassidy was hardly even on my mind. I was having a hard time adjusting back to reality. Danica came into the picture and helped. We had sex one time before I went into my coma. I didn't even know she was pregnant. When I woke up again a year ago it was the first thing Milo told me. Said I had a 4 year old kid..."

"Does she know you're her dad?"

"Nope. None of them do."

"What?"

"I have two other kids here."

"Wait you had three kids after you-"

"No they were both born after Roman... Before Kai and Meadow.. You know them."

"I do?"

"Lazarus is one of them."

"Lazarus!? The biker kid!? Wow that actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. That guy's BEYOND arrogant. Who's the other?"

"Before I tell you, promise you won't say anything to anyone... And that you won't freak out."

"You have my word."

"Neveah..."

I had to remind myself that I promised not to freak out.

"Lazarus and Neveah... Wow. Are you ever gonna tell them?"

"I don't know. Maybe one day. Although not anytime soon. There's too much going on already."

"If I were you I'd tell them. Besides, I'm pretty sure Neveah's crushing on Kaiser."

He let out a slight chuckle. "Yea... That's bad."

We sat in silence for a bit as I tried to take in his confessions.

And yes, they were A LOT to take in.

"I'm sure everything will fall back into place between you and Cass."

"No, not this time."

"You dont know that."

"Max, when I tried talking to her again this morning she told me that she regrets ever falling in love with me." He said, completely heart broken as I saw nothing but pain in his eyes. "She begged me to stop apologizing. She told me to forget everything about us. She broke down crying in front of me and when I tried to comfort her she pushed me away and begged me not touch her. " His voice began breaking as he spoke and his hands began to shake from anxiety. "She looked me in the eyes and said that loving me was the most painful things she's ever done... And that I've hurt her more than anyone ever has. Max I promised her I'd never hurt her. But I did...."

"River you made a mistake. You two will be fine and you know it."

"No we won't."

"Yes you will. I'll even talk to her if you want."

"No, don't. I'm not gonna try to force her to change her mind. If this is what she wants then its just something I'm gonna have to accept. I just want what's best for her... Even if its not me. She deserves so much more than me. Someone who won't hurt her like I did. Someone who loves her as much as I do. Though I doubt anyone does."

"Don't give up just yet."

"Max its done. This is it. Trust me, I know..."

There was no way I was taking that as an answer.