CXXXII. The Spade Moon [Cardverse]

Lol even though the last time I wrote a Cardverse Drabble was like a year ago we're going to pretend that the ball I wrote about so long ago happened like only a week ago. K? K.

Also, some really real Shelbmerica stuff ahead.
_______________________

Seven of Spades leaned against the railing of her balcony, the Kingdom of Spades spread out before her, the lights in the village glimmering like diamonds in the night, reflecting the thousands of starts that twinkled in the dark sky above. The moon was full tonight, and in the light of the kingdom of power, it seemed to give off a blue aura. A gentle breeze rustled her wet hair, freshly washed, as she had just gotten out of the shower and was preparing to head to bed.

Unfortunately, she couldn't sleep with so much weighing on her mind.

She couldn't stop thinking about her dance at the ball. She danced with the King of Spades himself. And to be quite honest, he had taken her breath away. But, who wouldn't be stunned after dancing with the king? Certainly Shelby was no exception, but she did have conflicted feelings about it.

First and for most, she was convinced that he had only danced with her because of what she had been wearing at the ball. Her dress had been stunning; it even made her look good. But she didn't want to be danced with because she looked like a princess; she wanted him to dance with her because it was her, because he accepted who she was. And the person Shelby was was not someone who wore dresses like that.

Second, Alfred was the freaking King of the entire Spades kingdom. Even though she was in the court, and was a seven, which was fairly high in the rankings, there was no way that would go over well with her queen. Arthur already did not like Shelby that much (which was partly her own fault, granted), so there was no way that he would ever approve of a relationsh-

"What the hell are you thinking?" She scolded herself, standing upright. "That's never going to happen. You don't love him. It was one dance."

"Ohhhh, but dancing expresses sooooo many emotions without saying a word!" A voice exclaimed, and Shelby jumped back as she realized the Love Joker was sitting on the railing of her balcony.

"I didn't even know you were there." She whispered hoarsely, holding her robes around and backing up towards her the door to her room.

"I know, I usually end up wherever the love is. And there's a lot in the Spades kingdom tonight." The Joker smiled widely, glancing up at the ominous moon. "I need you to do something for me. I need to get dressed in your favorite outfit. You can do your makeup however you want, or not at all. Whatever you feel. Just make sure you're at the garden rooftop at EXACTLY 11:55. Like, exactly, I'm not screwing around."

"Uh, okay." Shelby stepped away. "What is this about?"

"Eh, a Joker never reveals her secrets." She smiled, before literally hopping off the balcony. Shelby ran over to the edge, staring over to see where the Joker had landed, but she was gone.

Shelby opened the hatch to the garden rooftop, peering out at the sky. She had never actually been to the garden rooftop- actually, only the Kings and Queens have. It was sorta like a place to find some peace from their busy lives. It wasn't against the law to be here as the Seven of Spades, but it was an unspoken, yet well understood social norm among the monarchy.

Still, she was amazed at the beauty of the platform. She closed the hatch and began around, admiring the succulents, cacti, vines and ivy, begonias, and flowers both closed, awaiting the sun, and open the to the full moon almost reaching the top of the sky. She held a closed tulip to her nose, inhaling it deeply. The smell was still fragrant and lovely as ever. She was tempted to pick a blue tulip and pin it into the pocket of her favorite tux, which she had chose to wear with her only makeup being her eyebrows and some mascara, but she decided just being here was risky enough without taking a flower.