XXXIII: Matthew's Present

"Do you think anyone will remember my birthday?" Matthew asked Kumajirou as he stared in his bathroom mirror. He had finished getting ready a few minutes ago, but sometimes, he liked to watch his reflection. He was curious to see if one day, his reflection ceased to be.

"Yeah, why not, eh? Hope and Annalise will remember." The bear answered as he swatted lazily at a hockey puck that was covered with his teeth and claw marks.

"Yeah, I know they will." Canada said, although the tone of voice he used made it sound like he was more-so trying to the convince himself. "I'm talking aboot the others. Alfred, Arthur... Even Francis forgets about me from time to time."

"America is probably already celebrating his birthday. Those Americans have been lighting off fireworks for days now." The polar bear pointed out, managing to balance the puck on his snout.

"That doesn't make me feel any better." Canada's lip trembled slightly. "What if everybody's already at Alfred's celebrating?"

"Probably so, eh?" Kumajirou stated, an ear twitching twice rather quickly. "You should stand up for yourself. March over to his house and give him a what-for."

Canada's eyes hardened. "I should, shouldn't I? I should tell him to back off the 1st, eh? Not every day in July belongs to him. America isn't even that great. They don't have free health care, and only a few of the states have moose. That's really lame, right?"

"Right." Kumajirou agreed.

"I'll show 'em! I can prove that I'm just as good as Alfred- no, no, I'm even better than Alfred!" Mattie smiled at his reflection in the mirror, his curl bouncing as he spoke. But as he stared at the mirror, his smile wavered, before he sighed sadly, closing his violet eyes and hanging his head in defeat. "I-I can't. I can't do that to him. He gets so excited about his birthday... Plus I doubt anyone but Hope would agree with me."

"You doubt yourself too much, eh." Kumajirou stated, the puck dropped from the top of his snout and rolled down the hall before puttering to a halt.

"Yeah, I know..." He muttered sadly, but as he turned away from the mirror, a knock sounded on his door. Canada's looked up in surprise, before shuffling to the door, which he opened tentatively.

He was greeted by a straight-faced Shelby, which of course meant she looked pissed off at something. She also had a square box in her arms which easily covered to hide her body from the base of her neck to around her diaphragm. "Oh, h-hello Shelby." He stuttered out of shocks and nerves. The brunette American made him anxious.

She flashed an excited smile, which looked weird on her face. "Hey, Matthew. I heard through the grapevine that it was someone's birthday." She stated as the blonde moved aside to let her in.

"You did?" Canada inquired in slight amazement. "And... You remembered?"

"Well, yeah, I always try to remember my friends' birthdays." She shrugged.

"Friends?" He echoed in surprise, although he hadn't meant to say it out loud.

Shelby raised an eyebrow, making Matthew swallow nervously. "Uh, yeah? Honestly, a girl refuses maple syrup one God damn time."

"Twice." The country muttered.

She rolled her eyes, frowning now as she pushed the gift towards him. "Here. I got this for you."

Canada's cheek flared pink at the thought of someone buying a gift for him with their own money, and he took it, unwrapping the paper. It was a cardboard box, so he had to pull that open as well. He reached inside, and pulled out a slick-looking hockey mask, decorated with four large maple leaves on all three sides and on the top.

Matthew blinked in surprise, looking down at Shelby, who shuffled awkwardly. "I hope you like it. I figured you might have that helmet already, so I put the receipt in the box, but... Yeah." She pursed her lips.

Matthew smiled at her, closing his eyes and tilting his head slightly. "Thanks a bunch, Shelby. I love it. Maybe I'll use it in a hockey match against Alfred or Ivan, eh?"

She smiled. "That'd be really cool, Matt. I'd love to see you check Alfred, maybe knock some of the hot air outta his head."

He let out a small chuckle. "Will do, bud."