Mini Drabble XV: Canadian

"Shelby, someone's knocking on the door!" America shouted, his voice reaching Shelby where she stood in the kitchen, preparing pasta salad.

"Okay? What do you want me to do about it?" She responded, mixing the chopped cucumbers and tomatoes into the spiral noodles.

"Could you answer it?" Alfred plead in a slightly whiny voice.

"Are you legs broken?" Shelby inquired as another soft round of knocks emitted from the front door.

"If I said yes, would you answer it?"

"Alfred, I swear to God." Shelby growled, stomping towards the door and glaring at America as she opened it. She looked in surprise to see Canada standing awkwardly on the front step.

"Mattie?" Shelby asked in confusion. "You know, you don't have to knock on the door. You're family, ya know."

"Sorry." He muttered, holding Kumajirou close to his chest as the bear attempted to lean forward and sniff Shelby's face. "I was wondering if I could talk to you?" He said softly, glancing inside at Alfred, who was showing absolutely no interest in what Matthew had to say. "In private, please?"

"Er, I guess so." Shelby muttered, stepping outside and closing the door behind her. "What's up, bud?"

Canada shifted, his eyes falling on the ground for a second. "Francis told me Michigan used to be a part of New France."

Shelby blinked. "Okay, yeah, it was until 1763, when Britain won the territory after the French and Indian War."

Matthew nodded. "Which means you used to be part of Canada, technically speaking, eh?"

Shelby shifted awkwardly. "You do realize I'm not actually Michigan, right? Its just a cover we tell Arthur and Francis?"

Ignoring what the brunette said, Canada set Kumajirou down on the grass, which he flopped down in instantly. The country reached in his jacket pocket and pulled out a woven hat that was red on the outside and white in the middle, with a red maple leaf in the center. "I want you to have this toque."

"That's a hat." Shelby corrected out of habit, only to remember that's the Canadian word for knit caps. "Oh, sorry."

He smiled. "You could be Canadian. Somewhere deep down past all that American."

"I am not Canadian. I am 100% American. And just because my state is next to Canada, or was a part of New France centuries ago, doesn't mean I'm Canadian." She stated firmly, crossing her arms and glaring up at the blonde country.

He looked down, frowning now as he gripped the toque anxiously. "I didn't mean to offend you." He muttered softly, his violet eyes filling with hurt.

Shelby blinked. "No, it's like that- it's not bad to be Canadian. That's not what I meant at all. It's just, I'm proud to be an American and I'm always being told that northern states like Michigan and Wisconsin sound Canadian and are basically part of Canada..." The brunette trailed off as Matthew's shoulders slumped, and he let out a sigh of defeat.

She took in a deep breath. "I'm sorry." She stated simply. Matthew glanced up slightly. "I didn't mean to be rude. You were being thoughtful, and I was being inconsiderate."

Matthew blinked in surprise, before he gave a small smile, reaching forward tentatively and placing the toque on Shelby's head. He beamed happily. "There! Now you're like part of the family."

Shelby smiled slightly. "Thanks, Matt. I'll se ya later?"

"Yeah, I'll see ya." He stated kindly, before scooping up Kumajirou and waving goodbye. Shelby returned the gesture and stepped back into the house, shutting the door behind her.

Alfred glanced up, before his eyebrows furrowed in confusion and slight irritation. "What the hell's on your head?"

"A gift from your brother. He seems to have forgotten that I'm not actually Michigan. He gave me this because Michigan used to be a part of New France way back when." Shelby explained.

"Well, take it off. Its unpatriotic." Alfred stated.

Shelby gripped the sides of the hat defensively. "No, I have the right to wear this in America."

"Shelbs, you are not Canadian."

"I'm not taking the toque off, Alfred."

"IT'S A HAT, DAMNIT!"