XCIX. Burn (Shelbmerica) [Hamilton Crossover]

CAST

ELIZABETH HAMILTON - SHELBY JONES

ALEXANDER HAMILTON - ALFRED JONES

ANGELICA CHURCH - DREAMZ BEILSCHMIDT [MENTIONED]

Alfred pushed his way through the door of his home, weary and sick to his stomach. Everywhere on the streets people were either shunning him or spitting in his direction, disgusted with the affair he has published in The James Pamphlet. He wished he could have a haven in his own home, but he knew by now, Shelby had likely read the article.

He stepped into the living room. In front of the fire place, Shelby stood with her back to him, her head down as she read over something. His heart dropped, but he had to face it. He cleared his throat and walked towards her. "Shelby?"

Shelby's head lifted, and she turned to face her husband, a gentle smile on her face. "Hi honey." She greeted in a sweet voice.

He lifted a brow, his palms clammy. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, just reading over our old letters." She answered in a whimsical voice. She looked down to the one in her hand. "I saved every letter you wrote me... from the moment I read them, I knew you were mine... You said you were mine... I thought you were mine..." She looked up to Alfred, a dangerous gleam in her grey-blue irises as the fire crackled behind her. "Do you know what Dreamz said, when we saw your first letter arrive? She said... "Be careful with that one, love. He will do what it takes to survive.""

Shelby walked forward, taking Alfred's hand and slowly moving, dancing with him like they did years ago at their wedding. "You and your words flooded my senses. Your sentences left me defenseless. You built me palaces out of paragraphs, you built cathedrals..." She sang, before stepping away, leaving Alfred dazed, as she returned to the letter..

"I'm rereading the letters you wrote me..." Her voice was becoming harder, her brows furrowing. "I'm searching and scanning for answers in every line, for some kind of sign, of when you were mine..." She glared at Alfred, her lip curling slightly. "The world seemed to buuuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnn..." She stuck her hand out and allowed the paper to fall into the flames as Alfred watched in horror. "To buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnn..."

Shelby grabbed another paper off the table, The James Pamphlet, and smacked it into Alfred's chest. "You published the letters she wrote you!" She spat. "You told the whole world how you brought this girl into our bed. In clearing your name, you have ruined our liivvvveeeeesss." She yelled, her face finally coming to reveal her emotions. "Do you know what Dreamz said, when she read what you'd done? She said, "You have married an Icarus. He has flown too close to the sun." You and your words obsessed with your legacy," She shouted, grabbing more papers and throwing them at Alfred, though they only scattered around the room and made a mess, "your sentences border on senseless! And you are paranoid in every paragraph! How they perceive yooooouuuuu..." She seethed, reaching forward and grabbing a collar of Alfred's shirt, her other hand flying back, her fist prepared to swing. "You, you, yoooooouuuuuuuu..." She sang through her teeth. Alfred stared at Shelby in horror, his hands up slightly to guard himself.

After a few moments, her arm fell and she let go of Alfred. Her energy drained, she now looked more miserable than angry, her eyes welling with held-back tears. She bent down shakily and picked up a letter. A tear fell on the page, blurring the ink. "I'm erasing myself from the narrative..." She squeezed her eyes shut, gritting her teeth and pushing herself up. "Let future historians wonder how Shelby reacted when you broke her heeaaarrrttttt!" She gathered as many letters as she could and turned to Alfred with her own fire in her eyes. "You have torn it all apart, I'm watching it buuuuurrrrrrnnnnnnn!" She shoved the letters into the fire. "I'm watching it buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnn! The world has no right to my heart!" She screamed, grabbing more letters and shoving them into the fire. Alfred now shadowed her, trying to grab her wrists and stop her, but her movements were too abrupt. "The world has no place in our bed! They don't get to know what I said! I'm burning the memories! Burning the letters that might have redeemed you!"

"You forfeit all rights to my heart! You forfeit the place in our bed! You'll sleep in your office instead!" She grabbed her wooden box where she kept all the gifts Alfred had ever given her, her hair now a wild mess. "With only the memories of when you were mmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

With that, she heaved the chest forward and it smashed into the fire. It let out a large crack and the wood exploded, sending sparks all over the room. "No!" Alfred yelled, rushing forward and grabbing the chest out of the fire, yelling in pain and dropping the charred chest and it's treasures on the floor. He stared at his blistering hands, before looking up at his wife. Shelby glared at him with malice, tears dropping down her face like rain drops.

"I hope that you... Buuuuurrrrrrnnnnnnnnn..."