Mini Drabble I: Missed Her

Alfred sat patiently outside Shelby's house, hand's stuffed in his pockets as he rocked back and forth on his feet. He and Shelby were supposed to go for a walk at Garden City park, which would most likely lead to them talking over their last encounter now that everyone's emotions were settled.

America couldn't help but feel nervous about it. Shelby hadn't spoken to him since she had admitted she loved him. He figured she was just embarrassed, but her demeanor had changed around other too. For example, whenever Alfred had seen Shelby with Hope and Matthew, Shelby seemed very anxious and shy- he had never seen her act like that before.

It made him feel awful. First, he tried to rid himself of her, and now she wouldn't even speak to him. He ran his hand through his blonde hair, taking a deep breath.

The front door opened and Alfred instantly stood a little straighter, pressing his lips together in a thin line. Shelby stepped out.

Alfred's eyes widened in shock as he saw her. "Shelbs?" He questioned in a hushed voice. She wasn't wearing her usual hoodie and soccer warmups. Instead, she wore a pair of light blue shorts and an American flag tank top. Her skin was no longer pale, but closer to a bronze tone that reminded him of South Italy's skin tone.

Shelby's eyes narrowed at his reaction. "Is... something wrong?" She took a slight step back, as if ready to retreat back into her house.

Alfred put his hands up apologetically, taking a small step forward. "No! It's just, I haven't seen you in a few weeks, dude. You look a lot different."

She grabbed her wrist, rubbing it anxiously. "Well, the sun's been out lately and I tan easily." She explained. She walked towards Alfred hesitantly, her blue gaze flickering from the grass up to him. "Does it look bad?" She asked.

Alfred flashed a gentle smile before he reached down and took one of her hands in his. "You look good with a tan." He assured her.

Shelby's cheeks turned a rosy red and she smiled slightly. "Uh, thanks." She said awkwardly, before she began guiding America down the street towards the park. "But I'm gonna be honest, blonde hair and tanned skin don't mix, so you should stay pale."

"Hey, I'm not pale!" Alfred defended himself playfully.

"My bad- pasty." Shelby smirked, glancing up at him teasingly.

He laughed, pulling her closer into his side. He hadn't realized how much he had actually missed her smart-ass comments until now; he hadn't realized how much he had missed her.