LIII. Adventures in Fernando

"Okay, quick question; how did you expect us to all fit in this car?" Taylor questioned as Shelby opened the driver's door of shiny black Milan.

Shelby looked up at the car, then at the 7 girls standing in front of her. "Well... I have a trunk."

"I really don't think that's the safest solution." Hope commented.

Shelby pursed her lips. "Okay, everyone laps it, and then smallest one goes on the roof."

"Um, yeah, no, bad idea." Thaovy stated as all eyes fell on her.

"Shelby, do you even have your license?" Annalise inquired.

"Yes and no."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Jenna huffed.

"Well, I'm legally able operate a motorized vehicle, but I haven't taken my road test, so I still need a licensed adult in the car." Shelby explained.

"Maybe I should drive..." Hope suggested. "I mean, I'm not allowed to have 7 other people in the car with me, but at least I don't need an adult."

"No one drives Fernando but me." Shelby almost growled.

Dreamz chuckled slightly. "Shelbs, I thought you decided to name the car Alfred?"

Shelby glared. "You know damn well why I didn't."

Sammi raised a brow. "Why?"

Dreamz smirked. "Because then she'd be riding Alfred." The other girls choked on the air they were breathing while Shelby's cheeks flushed slightly.

"That's it. Everyone in except Dreamz." Shelby hopped in the driver's seat. Hope took shot gun, since she was the tallest and would be the least comfortable cramped in the back. Taylor and Annalise took the spot behind Shelby, since they needed the most room, while Dreamz and Jenna lapped it behind Hope. Finally, in the middle were the two smallest girls, Sammi and Thaovy.

"Shelby, are you sure about this?" Hope asked, glancing over as Shelby switched the car out of park and into drive.

"Yeah, we're only going to a bonfire at Alfie's. Not like we're driving all the way to Kansas or something. Besides, I'm a great driver." Shelby explained, before taking off down the road.

"But didn't you tell me that you almost crashed the car doing a Michigan left or something like that?" Dreamz questioned.

"Well, I wouldn't do a Michigan left then. Just shut up so I can concentrate." Shelby snapped.

The ride was pretty smooth. So far no cops had been seen to pull them over, and the driving wasn't all that bad. The only thing the girls found annoying the was bumpy conditions of the road, although it didn't faze the native Michigander.

In fact they were almost to Alfred's when Thaovy gasped from her spot in the back. "THERE'S A SNORLAX IN THE AREA!"

That's when Shelby swerved off the road.

"WHAT THE HELL, SHELBY?" Hope, Taylor, Dreamz, and Jenna all screamed in sync, while Annalise just straight-up screamed.

Shelby yanked the keys out of the car, grabbing her phone out of her pocket. "Y'all are on your own. I'm gonna catch me a Snorlax." She stated, before taking off into the woods next to the road.

"NO YOU WON'T THAT SNORLAX IS MINE!" Thaovy yelled, opening the door next to Jenna and Dreamz and climbing out, knocking Jenna out of the car as she did so. Sammi did the same on the other side of the car, managing to knock Annalise into the grass. Both girls took off after Shelby, yelling about the overweight Pokémon.

Everyone else just kind of stared in disbelief at the empty driver's seat, before Dreamz spoke. "What the hell are we supposed to do now?"

Jenna huffed and grabbed out her phone, clicking on a contact and holding it up to her ear.

"Ayyyyy, Jenna, where are you? America's already got this fire going!"

"Yeah, about that, we don't have a driver anymore."

"Okay, then walk."

Jenna's eyes twitched. "Juan, could you please put Canada on the phone? Since he's the only responsible brother." She grumbled the last part, causing Hope to laugh and the others to smile.

It didn't seem Mexico heard him, however. "Okay, since you asked so nicely. HEY, MATTHEW!" The country shouted loudly, not bothering taking the phone away from his mouth, and the volume of his voice causing Jenna to flinch away. "JENNA WANTS TO SPEAK TO YOU!"

Soon, a much gentler, softly-spoken voice came through the speaker. "Where are you guys?"

"We're on the side of the road."

"What? How? Why?"

"Our driver ditched us for Pokémon."

You could audibly hear Matthew sigh. "She and Alfred aren't so different after all, eh?"

"You're telling me." Jenna huffed. "Do you think maybe someone could come pick us up? It's getting dark and we don't wanna miss the party."

It didn't take too long for Canada to pull up, and Hope hopped in the passenger seat again, with Taylor, Annalise, and Jenna sat in the back. Dreamz, being the shortest of the group, was directed to lay across the other girls like a log, which she did so awkwardly.

"Should... We maybe wait to see if the others make it out okay?" Matthew inquired.

"Nah, they wanna leave us like that, we can leave them. Besides, Shelby's got Fernando. They're good."

Canada started the car, turning and rolling back up the road. "... Who's Fernando?"