C. Stay Alive (Reprise) [Hamilton Crossover]

CAST

ALEXANDER HAMILTON - DENNIS READER

DOCTOR - JENNINGS ROORDA

PHILIP HAMILTON - SPENCER READER

ELIZABETH HAMILTON - CYNTHIA READER

"Stay alive..."

The room was dark. On a cot next to a lamp, a young man was sweating and grimacing as he held his hand to his bleeding abdomen. His curly brown hair was sprawled out on the pillow under his head, blood trickling out of the corner of his mouth. In the lobby, a doctor stood outside the door, looking grimly at the report.

"Stay alive..."

The door to the hospital burst open, and Dennis Reader ran in, his hair frizzing out in every direction, his green-blue eyes wide. "WHERE IS MY SON?"

The doctor looked up, and then sighed in relief. "Mr. Reader, come in. They brought him in a half an hour ago. He lost a lot of blood on the way over-"

"Is he alive?!" Dennis demanded, his face flushed and sweating.

The doctor took a deep breath, "Yes, but you have to understand. The bullet entered just above his hip and lodged in his right arm-"

"Can I see him please?" Dennis asked in exaggeration.

The doctor guided him into the room. "I'm doing everything I can, but the wound was already infected when he arrived..."

He opened the door and left Dennis to enter alone. Dennis, upon seeing the boy, covered his mouth in an effort to fight back the tears, and came forward. "Spencer..."

The boy looked over, opening his grey-blue eyes with an effort. He smiled slightly upon seeing Dennis. "... Pa..." He whispered. Dennis grabbed his hand and held it between his own. "I did exactly as you said, pa. I held my head up high..." Spencer began to explain.

"I know, I know, shh," Dennis urged in an unusually gentle voice, "I know, I know, shh,"

"High..." Spencer choked in an effort to continue talking, more blood falling from his lips as he flinched.

"I know, you did everything just right." Dennis promised with a forced smile.

"Even before we got to ten-" Spencer grimaced, grabbing his abdomen.

"Shh." Dennis urged softly.

"I was aiming for the sky." Spencer promised.

"I know, I know, shh. I know, I know-"

"I was aiming for the sky!" He exclaimed, his voice portraying a bit of confusion, as though he didn't understand how he could have aimed for the sky and still ended up on this cot.

"I know," Dennis stroked the top of his head to try and calm him down, "Save your strength and stay alive..."

"Noooooooo!" A voice screamed, and Cynthia Reader rushed in, her face already wet with tears.

Dennis turned to her. "Cynthia!"

"Is he breathing? Is he going to survive this?" She demanded, practically shoving Dennis out of the way and caressing Spencer's cheek. "Who did this?" She turned to Dennis with fire in her soft green eyes. "Dennis, did you knoooooowwww?!"

Spencer grabbed his mother's hand to stop the fight. "Mom, I'm so sorry for forgetting what you taught me." He cried.

She blinked, before turning to Spencer and falling to her knees at his bedside. "My son-"

"We played piano..." Spencer smiled slightly.

Cynthia laughed with a smile. "I taught you piano."

Spencer sniffed, "You would put your hands on mine."

Cynthia grabbed his hand and squeezed them gently. "You changed the melody every time."

Tears spilled onto Spencer's cheeks, "I would always change the line."

Cynthia caressed his face to soothe him. "I know, I know, shh,"

Spencer continued to sob, "I would always change the line..."

"I know, I know." Cynthia placed her finger gently under his chin, before whipping away the tears on his cheeks. "Un deux trois quatre cinq six sept huit neuf."

"Un deux trois quatre cinq six sept huit neuf." Spencer echoed a bit behind his mother.

She nodded, smiling. "Good. Un deux trois quatre cinq-"

"Un deux trois..."

"Six sept huit neuf." Cynthia finished. Spencer stared at her, his lips slightly parted, but didn't finish his counting. She squeezed his hands. "Sept huit neuf..." Dennis covered his mouth and turned away. "Sept huit..." Tears fell down her face as she realized what had happened. She let out an earsplitting shriek, falling open his still-warm body in one last embrace. Dennis stepped forward, tears falling down his cheek as he gently closed Spencer's eyes.

_____________________
And that is the end of my Hamilton Drabbles. Maybe this comes as a relief to you. Maybe it doesn't. But I'm really proud of the work I put into them and how I interpreted the different songs into the characters' actions.

I think we can all thank Dreamzreader for all these Drabbles. This actually all started because she was talking about how she pictured Dennis as Alexander and Cooper as Burr in "The Room Where It Happens". That was back when she wasn't going to write second Drabble book, so I offered to write it cause I really liked the idea.

After that things spiraled a bit out of control but I regret nothing.

All right, my dudes. Thanks for sticking with it.