CIX. The Half-Breed, the Muggle-born, and the Son of Łukasiewicz [Pottertalia]

7 years ago

A young girl stood alone on platform 9 and three quarters. Around her, wizards and witches bustled around her, saying goodbye to their families and loading their luggage on to the train. Her grey-blue eyes landed on the Hogwarts Express, the large black train that would bring them to the wizarding school she had been accepted to. In front of her was her own luggage, an assortment of necessary items such as a caldron, scales, and a telescope (among other things), a pile of heavy textbooks, and a trunk full of robes and necessary clothing articles for the school uniform. Her family wasn't here to bid her fair well, being as they preferred not to run straight at a wall to get on the platform. The only company she had was the owl her parents had bought her to keep up communication during the school year (at least, that's what they had been told owls were used for), which was a large, light grey owl with dark markings framing it's face, and large black eyes.

"Excuse me, miss?" An accented voice called behind her, and she turned to face a scrawny boy with a mop of messy blonde hair and thick brows. Behind him were three older boys, each with a slightly different appearances, save for the same thick brows. The blonde of the group continued to speak, "Do you need any assistance?"

"We noticed you were standing here all by yerself lass," Said the tallest, oldest looking one, "and given yer Muggle attire, I'm guessing yer a first year who just found out she's a witch and has no idea what's on?"

The girl nodded, her grip tightening on the cart.

The blonde smiled, "Don't worry. I'm a first year too. I'm Arthur Kirkland. What's your name?"

"Shelby Ferrell."

"Strange. Your accent is American- no matter. My brothers are returning students to Hogwarts. They can show you the way to your seat, if you'd like." Arthur offered.

Shelby's instantly felt her shoulders relaxed in relief as she sighed, though she didn't recall ever being that tense in the first place. "Yes, please."

The second youngest of the brothers, a teen with strawberry blonde hair and soft green eyes, stepped forward with a smile. "If you will follow me, Miss Ferrell." He stated, taking the cart of luggage from her, and leading her towards the train. They boarded one of the cars, and the Kirkland brother found her an empty compartment. He stowed away the luggage, making sure to leave the owl out on one of the seats. After he finished, Shelby thanked him, and he replied that it was no problem, and that if she ever needed anything, just ask around for a Aeron Kirkland, Hufflepuff house. Shelby didn't know what that exactly meant, but decided not to ask anymore questions.

She took her seat, and waited in silence as people bustled by, finding seats and laughing with friends, but no one entered her compartment. Shelby wondered to herself that if no one came to share the compartment with her, if she would be able to let Confiance get out and stretch his wings a bit. She was just about to open the cage, since the train had started moving, when a scrawny looking kid with strawberry blonde hair opened the compartment, his breath heaving as if he had just been rushing around. Shelby couldn't see his eyes; they were covered by his messy hair with what seemed like a strange, unnatural part, and he had a thick scarf wrapped around his neck so that it covered the lower half of his face. It was strange, because it was fairly warm outside. She could see that he had his luggage cart behind him.

"Hello, m-may I sit here? With, with you?" He managed to stutter out behind the muffle of his scarf.

Shelby stared at him in shock, before nodding once. "Yes."

"Thank you." He sighed, storing away his luggage, before taking the seat kitty corner to Shelby. He pressed himself deep into the cushion, as if trying to disappear from view.