X. Florida

Warning: There's some slight adult humor in this chapter. Younger viewers- you will be reading at your own risk.
___________

It was relatively quiet in America's house, which wasn't a surprise, considering he wasn't home. In fact, the only people in the house were three teenage girls. Hope sat cross-legged on a couch, typing vigorously into her phone as she wrote her TMNT AU. Jenna sat next to her, rewatching a few episodes of Steven Universe. Every so often, Jenna would try and peer over at Hope's work, only to have the screen shielded as Hope shot her a warning look. Shelby laid sprawled out on the loveseat, her phone only inches from her face, her features set in a neutral expression.

After a while, Hope glanced over at Shelby. "Shelbs, you good?" She inquired, pausing her creative flow as she looked up at her friend.

"Mhm." Shelby answered without even saying at word, not bothering to look away from the screen.

"Whatcha lookin' at?" Jenna ventured, pausing her show for a second.

"Pictures of when I went to Florida." Shelby stated simply.

The room fell silent. Hope's eyes widened and Jenna looked to Shelby with a shocked grin on her face, her mouth opened slightly.

"Florida?" Hope echoed, her face turning slightly red.

"That is what I said." Shelby muttered, her voice monotone.

Jenna's smiled widened. "You've been to Florida?"

"Yes." Shelby huffed, laying her phone against her chest. "Why is that so surprising?"

Hope pursed her lips slightly, leaning over to Jenna's ear. "I think she's means the actual state, not Alfred's... You know." She explained quietly.

Jenna nodded. "Of course she's talking about the state," she whispered back as her eyes flashed a mischievous light, "but I'm gonna have some fun with this."

Jenna sat up, leaning closer to Shelby's couch, causing Shelby to look at her warily. "So, Shelbs... Did you like Florida?"

Shelby raised a brow. "Yes..?"

Hope covered her mouth to keep herself from laughing. Jenna continued. "Was it hot in Florida?"

"Why are we playing 20 Questions? Yes, it was hot in Florida." Shelby stated.

Jenna had to compose herself with a deep breath, and Hope was on the verge on losing it. "Would you say you enjoyed yourself in Florida?"

"Yes! I had fun in Florida, okay? I enjoyed myself, and I will probably go back some day! Does that answer all your questions?" Shelby shouted, only to become even more irritated when Jenna fell to the ground, screaming in laughter, before she began to cough and wheeze. Hope tried to tell her to calm down before she gave herself an asthma attack, but her words drifted off into deranged giggling as well.

Suddenly the front door opened, interrupting Jenna and Hope's antics as Alfred, José, and Matthew stepped in. Each one carried a grocery bag and a smile.

"Hey-oh! Look, I gots us some goods for the barbecue!" America announced, waving his bag in victory. "Hamburgers- Shelby's favorite!" He winked and she huffed, turning away so no one would see her cheeks flush red. "And José picked up some stuff for cole slaw. Who can have a B-B-Q without a little bit of slaw?"

José smiled awkwardly. "Actually, that's a really funny story. You see... I actually picked up some stuff for fajitas."

"Oh, yummy!" Jenna chided.

"What?" America demanded, turning to his shorter brother. "But dude, this is a barbecue! You had ONE JOB!"

"Well, now it's a half barbecue, half fiesta!"

"I don't want a fiesta! Take it back over the border!"

"Why? So you can build a wall behind me?"

"I NEVER SAID I AGREED WITH THAT PSYCHO!"

"THEN STOP YELLING ME, OR I'LL START SPEAKING SPANISH!"

"I HATE IT WHEN YOU DO THAT!"

"¡ESE ES EL PUNTO, IDIOTA!"

"STOP THAT! I ONLY UNDERSTOOD ONE WORD AND I DIDN'T LIKE IT!"

"Guys, please." Canada whispered, wedging himself between America and Mexico, who had ended up nose to nose. "This is not something to-"

"Well, lookie here, it's my favorite brother, Canada!" Alfred smiled, draping his arm over Matthew's shoulders. "My loyal, kind, gentle brother WHO DOESN'T ARGUE WITH WHAT I SAY!"

"Al-"

"THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T LISTEN TO HIM, PUTA!"

"Shelby, Jenna, are you gonna do something?" Hope demanded.

"Not until you all tell me what was so funny." Shelby glared.

"José," Jenna raised her hand like a student waiting to be called on in class, "I will eat your fajitas."

"Alfred, I have a confession to make." Canada managed to speak loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Yes, favorite brother?" Alfred questioned, still glaring at Mexico.

"... José's not the only one who bought something they weren't supposed to. I... I bought stuff to make poutine instead of apple pie."

"YOU DIDN'T BUY APPLE PIE?" Shelby and Alfred screamed at the same time.

"Wow, you guys can be so similar sometimes." Jenna smirked.

"Matt, I feel betrayed. I feel abandoned. I feel-" Before America could get out another word, Shelby leapt from her seat, and began to speak over him.

"I'll forgive you, Canada." She urged, her eyes filled with determination as she walked towards him.

Matthew shrunk away slightly. "You... You do?"

"Yep. On one condition." The room went dead silent in anticipation. "You have to tell me what's so funny about me going to Florida."

José's laughter rang out in the air as he leaned again Jenna, who patted his shoulder and watched for Shelby's realization from behind the country. Hope rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly and America's face flushed a rosy red, his eye twitching slightly.

Canada's looked very startled by this request and stared in distress at Shelby, who glared up at him in insistence. Slowly, he stooped down and moved her curly hair away from her ear, explaining in quiet whispers.

At first, Shelby seemed confused. But as the seconds ticked by, her eyes slowly began to widen and her nose began to blush a beet red color, which spread to her cheek, neck, and even her chest. When Matthew was done, Shelby looked with wide eyes at Hope and Jenna, before her gaze locked with Alfred's.

He smiled nervously. "So, you liked Florida?"

She blinked, shaking her head as she turned to the door. "I'm going home. I can't take this anymore."

"Awwe, lighten up, señorita, that was funny!" Mexico shouted after her, but she had already left the house. "Well, I guess she didn't want to stay for my fiesta."